If you're looking for a USB powered Midi foot controller...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
The Landwhale

If you're looking for a USB powered Midi foot controller...

Post by The Landwhale » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:03 am

that kills the FCB-1010, then have a look at the Line 6 FBV shortboard MK2 or the FBV Express MK2.

http://line6.com/footcontrollers/fbvshortboardmkii.html
http://line6.com/footcontrollers/fbvexpressmkii.html

Stevewhite99 was kind enough to post about this in the Tips and Tricks section, but it got ignored.
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=126543
Thanks again steve.

I just got the Shortboard MK2 today, and so far I'm really glad I did.
Here's a rundown:

- USB powered
- very easily programmed via the FBV software editor (download from Line 6)
- (Should) work with ANY software, since it shows up as a 4-port Midi interface
- Can use MMC and Mackie controls for transport
- 13 switches and an expression pedal, with a jack for a second expression pedal
- Significantly smaller footprint than the FCB-1010 (The Express is much, much smaller)
- works great with Looper.
- It does seem to work fine when connected to a USB hub, although I didn't do an exhaustive test
- It definitely DOES NOT send Note data, but it works fine with Looper sending CC's, as long as you set the switch's behavior to momentary. However, you should be able to use Midi Pipe or similar to convert the messages to a note on, or anything else for that matter. (Haven't test it though, but I don't see why not, it shows up as a midi interface after all)
- It DOES NOT have banks. You use the FBV editor to create different preset configurations. However, it should be possible with MidiPipe or Bomes to create a script that would bring the FBV into focus, then load the preset you want, which would give a bank-like functionality.
- Built solid as F
- FBV Shortboard MK2 costs $200
- FBV Express MK2 costs $100

For those who want quick answers, when you're programming this thing for looper, set the CC message for whatever button you're using, and set the behavior to "momentary". I had it set to "single" and Looper was doing bogus bullshit, switched to momentary and all is well.

For those who only need a few buttons, the FBV express MK2 has the exact same capabilities, just 4 buttons instead of 13, and it's only $100

Hopefully this helps people on the search for a good foot controller for Live, particularly Looper.

I was pretty set on getting the Apogee Gio, but haven't gotten a chance to try one yet. I'll still check that out when I can get my hands on one in a store, but I don't think I'll need it now.
Last edited by The Landwhale on Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

outershpongolia

Re: If you're looking for a USB powered Midi foot controller...

Post by outershpongolia » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:22 am

"can't wait to map out a master plan"

Make sure it aint to concrete I've been changin' my "master plan" for some time now.. it never stops!

I guess that's good tho, in a way.

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:34 am

The Landwhale wrote: Hopefully this helps people on the search for a good foot controller for Live, particularly Looper.
Thanks!
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

The Landwhale

Post by The Landwhale » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:49 am

outershpongolia wrote:"can't wait to map out a master plan"

Make sure it aint to concrete I've been changin' my "master plan" for some time now.. it never stops!

I guess that's good tho, in a way.
haha, yeah, don't worry about that, i should have just said "master plan for the week/month".

The Landwhale

Post by The Landwhale » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:17 pm

bump

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:29 pm

How many banks does it have?
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

eisnein

Post by eisnein » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:49 pm

yeah- my questions include (im a check out the literature first but if anyone knows off hand feel free to post)

like AceLuby asked- how many banks?

can you send Note info?

the website says "Clicking the toe-switch toggles between volume and wah control (with an illuminated LED to match)." Does this mean you can switch between two different MIDI commands as well or you gotta add a second expression pedal...

and HOLY CRAP! :lol:
second class robot

eisnein

Post by eisnein » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:53 pm

no note info can be sent...

but exp pedal can not only toggle between to CC's but the toggle switch itself can send CCs!
second class robot

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:09 pm

Nice one!

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:17 pm

Sweet!

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:04 pm

Thanks alot for the heads-up on this controller...I've been in the market for one recently & this one looks like a great deal..Think I might grab the Express model

The Landwhale

Post by The Landwhale » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:43 pm

I've been working all day, I'll be home later and have time to work more with it, but here' a few other things to note that people may want to know.

- It does seem to work fine when connected to a USB hub, although I didn't do an exhaustive test
- It definitely DOES NOT send Note data, but it works fine with Looper sending CC's, as long as you set the switch's behavior to momentary. However, you should be able to use Midi Pipe or similar to convert the messages to a note on, or anything else for that matter. (Haven't test it though, but I don't see why not, it shows up as a midi interface after all)

I'll add more findings over the next few days as I get more of a chance to work with it.
If anyone wants to post info about it, I'll add it to the original post to keep the info organized.

ghostly

Post by ghostly » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:08 am

No sending of note info? I'll keep my FCB1010 thanks. :D

eisnein

Post by eisnein » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:58 am

love that you can set momentary or toggle on the switches but does it have Banks or are you limited to the 4 or 13 switches that are on each pedalboard?
second class robot

feyshay

Post by feyshay » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:15 pm

You can save presets of the FBV configuration (and switch them in the midst of a session), but you are limited to the 4-13 switches at one time.