How do you guys setup Ableton for your Live performances

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
gazo

How do you guys setup Ableton for your Live performances

Post by gazo » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:32 pm

Hi Guys,

I am quite new to Live. I have been fiddling with it for a few months with the trials, but just purchased it 3 days ago.

I use Logic as my main DAW for composing. I have been working on a project with a friend, and we have decided we want to perform the tracks live, and thats why the purchase of Live.

I am going to bounce my audio from Logic as stems and bring them into Live. My friend will be doing the vocals and percussion, and I will be dong the music and backing vocals. I was wondering how you guys do your setups. This is less of a DJ setup, and more of a "band setup". How do I decide how much of the tracks will be played, and how much I will actually perform. And also how do you handle transitions between songs. Do you play loops in between while the Live project opens up. Or do you place all your stems in the same project?

Tone Deft

Re: How do you guys setup Ableton for your Live performances

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:45 pm

a great look at how some Live users use Live live, meet Pitch Black

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1siG6_Pd ... re=related
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Atomikat

Post by Atomikat » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:51 pm

What kind of music?... are you playing an instrument? I do both...play in a rock band and as a solo perfomer (electronic) and the set ups are different.

Cool Character

Post by Cool Character » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:51 am

Tone Deft wrote:a great look at how some Live users use Live live, meet Pitch Black

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1siG6_Pd ... re=related
...so wier nawt Dee Joais.
:lol:

gazo

Post by gazo » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:44 pm

The music is mixture of electronica and rock. It will be myself on the computer playing back bits of the tracks as samples, and myself on backing vocals. My friend is on lead vocals and percussion, and we will also be getting a bassist for the shows. So its a mixture of electronic and live instruments.

So the tricky thing is figuring out how much of the track on my computer, and how much I will try and play myself live.

dysanfel

Post by dysanfel » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:18 pm

I play back 2 track stereo 24 bit mixes and large (350MB+) MOV video files. I then run stereo synths, DI acoustic guitar, mic'ed electric, DI bass, and vocals into channels and process them in real time with compression, EQ, reverb, delay, and modulation effects. I do it all in a MBP and can even record my sets.
Gig Rig - rMBP 2.3GHZ i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, OSX 10.13.x, Presonus FS, Live 10.x
Home Rig - i9 eight-core Hackintosh 32GB DDR4, 2nd Generation Scarlett 18i20, ADA8000, JoeMeek SixQ, Live 10.x

Mint Invader

Post by Mint Invader » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:38 am

laptop, axiom controller, maudio fast track pro.

Controller for effects and keys to play, audio interface to sync with other people and send audio out... Thats it in my book...

For an ableton DJ set its the same thing... just no playing on the keys... You can see this set of me online.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOGM1Q-Egdw
Because Whatever.