AbleTEN Live Packs - dragging .alp file asks for location?!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
RCUS

AbleTEN Live Packs - dragging .alp file asks for location?!

Post by RCUS » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:50 am

Anyone else experiencing this with the 10 new packs for 8.0.9? Usually when I drag a live pack it installs without me having to pick the location, but this time around it's asking me where to put the contents of the .alp.

Am I to pick a location then manually install the lessons? Or am I supposed to pick the Library folder?

fishmonkey

Re: AbleTEN Live Packs - dragging .alp file asks for location?!

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:13 am

most Live packs install library content only, e.g. samples, clips, and devices...

however Live packs like those Able10 ones contain whole projects, so i think it's best not to save them in your library...

RCUS

Post by RCUS » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:16 am

fishmonkey wrote:most Live packs install library content only, e.g. samples, clips, and devices...

however Live packs like those Able10 ones contain whole projects, so i think it's best not to save them in your library...
so should I just make a folder somewhere and access them separately? And what about the lessons? Just drop them in the lessons folder after the fact? I'm guessing if there are links within the lessons, they would stop working then right?

Very confusing since out of like 25 live packs installed for 8, this is the first of this type I've come across.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:35 am

sorry, i dunno how the lessons work, i haven't actually installed the Able10 stuff... i just figured the packs were projects like the Launchpad demo packs...

vicz

Post by vicz » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:18 am

Just use any existing folder or create a new one, and it all works. On OSX you can drag all the packs onto Live at the same time and it will only ask you the question once.

RCUS

Post by RCUS » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:48 pm

vicz wrote:Just use any existing folder or create a new one, and it all works. On OSX you can drag all the packs onto Live at the same time and it will only ask you the question once.

Thanks for the tip!

And a new folder is born....

chaunceyc

Post by chaunceyc » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:17 pm

I tried adding them to another folder and it said it installed fine, but then I couldn't find it--seems like a horrible filing system to have to remember WHERE every type of Live Pack project is stored. I'd like to be able to locate these centrally, but since at least one of these new ones contains a project, I can't store it inside my existing project/library folder (f:\ableton). When I installed one of these to a folder outside this directory they don't show up.

RCUS

Post by RCUS » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:54 am

On second thought I think something may actually be wrong. I can't try it right now, but I remember navigating to the "Live Packs" area in preferences and the pack that I did install did not show up in the listing.

chaunceyc

Post by chaunceyc » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:03 pm

I just noticed that it says on the site "These Packs require Live 8.0.9 or higher" I thought I kept up to the minute with my updates, but was only on 8.0.5.

Downloading 8.0.9 now and will re-try install.

RCUS

Post by RCUS » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:12 pm

I have 8.0.9 and it does the same

feyshay

Post by feyshay » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:34 pm

Have a folder named Ableton. Sub-folders named Ableton Library and Ableton Livepacks. Save the 10-pack to the Ableton Livepack folder.

RCUS

Post by RCUS » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:08 pm

feyshay wrote:Have a folder named Ableton. Sub-folders named Ableton Library and Ableton Livepacks. Save the 10-pack to the Ableton Livepack folder.
just to clarify, you're saying you created those folders right? After you save/install them, are they showing up in your preferences> live packs list?

[nis]

Post by [nis] » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:31 pm

Hi RCUS,

there are two different kinds of Live Packs:

1.) Self-installing Live Packs.
This is what you know from our download section or from our install disks. Installing such a pack will extract all contents into the Live library. Self-installing packs can only be created by us (Ableton) or 3rd party content providers and will usually contain instrument/effect presets, soundfiles, lessons, etc.

2.) User Live Packs.
These Live Packs can be created by any Live user with Live's file manager ("File" menu -> manage files -> manage project -> packing). This creates an .alp file of your current project. If you install such an .alp file, it will ask you for a destination and eventually extracts it as a project folder. Once installed, you can open these projects just like your own projects.

The Able10 packs are the latter type. Just other user's projects packed as .alp files.

Best,
Nico
Nico Starke
Ableton Product Team

sidownes

Post by sidownes » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:19 pm

I always wondered whether I was missing something in terms of importing projects to the library... looks as though I wasn't. So you can't import a user pack/project into the Library as the library is basically a project?
http://www.thesoundofyoungamerica.com
http://www.myspace.com/soundofyoungamerica

MacBook Pro, guitars, Live Suite 8.2, launchpad, iphone

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:26 pm

[nis] wrote:Hi RCUS,

there are two different kinds of Live Packs:

1.) Self-installing Live Packs.
This is what you know from our download section or from our install disks. Installing such a pack will extract all contents into the Live library. Self-installing packs can only be created by us (Ableton) or 3rd party content providers and will usually contain instrument/effect presets, soundfiles, lessons, etc.

2.) User Live Packs.
These Live Packs can be created by any Live user with Live's file manager ("File" menu -> manage files -> manage project -> packing). This creates an .alp file of your current project. If you install such an .alp file, it will ask you for a destination and eventually extracts it as a project folder. Once installed, you can open these projects just like your own projects.

The Able10 packs are the latter type. Just other user's projects packed as .alp files.

Best,
Nico
Nico or anyone in the now - if we install a Live Pack with Live 8.1, would that content be readable by Live 8 or Live 7?

IOW are Live pack installations subject to being only forward compatible?

I'd try it out but shutter at the thought of screwing up my Library. my guess is that this isn't a problem but I rarely use older versions of Live. just curious.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz