Does the smell of the Launchpad go away ?

Discuss Live-ready controllers other than Push.
$4mU3l

Re: Does the smell of the Launchpad go away ?

Post by $4mU3l » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:08 pm

rikhyray wrote:Seems most of units dont smell so it might be just particular batch.
My guess, knowing the Chinese manufacturers, someone didnt clean the machine after previous job, or few bags of raw material were used (underpaid worker sold the proper one and replaced with some cheap stuff to afford new Playstation) and as result couple of hundred stinky units got shipped. Worse things happen to all companies that get stuff made in China. Even Novation had it with couple of hundreds of first SLs with some pads reversely wired.
I suspect it is the pad material, often used for toys, it is known that cheap ones, imitations of know brands use inferior, often toxic material.
I think those units who don't smell got aired a longer time... The smelling ones got packed as they where still "hot"... After three days of unpacking I hardly smell my launchpad.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:13 pm

$4mU3l wrote:smell my launchpad
Sounds like a new musical project by Christopher Guest.
Unsound Designer

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:13 pm

$4mU3l wrote:I think those units who don't smell got aired a longer time... The smelling ones got packed as they where still "hot"... After three days of unpacking I hardly smell my launchpad.
That definitely seems like the most likely cause for the launchpad's stank.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:15 pm

M4L will sort this.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:40 pm

UKRuss wrote:M4L will sort this.
Oh yeah, some genius will shine their light on this problem and sort it right out!

aliaksej

Post by aliaksej » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:10 am

Really likes recent LaunchPads MK3 series.

Ordered used LaunchPad X, returned back to seller because of chemical smell from it. I thought Launchpad X was "defective" or it absorbed a smoke from cigarettes. The LaunchPad was produced in 2019th, nowadays is 2024th.

Then ordered LaunchPad Pro MK3 which was bought in Dec 2022 and most of the time was held on a desk. It has less unpleasant smell, more on flavour/scent side. A bit sweet. When sniffing in 4-5cm from launchpad's pads, smell is pretty strong.

When LaunchPad Pro MK3 is laying on the table in front of me, most of the time I don't feel the smell. But when I lean towards on sniff on top of LaunchPad, the smell is audible. And when air is breathing to my side.

I wonder is it because of cheapo production technology. If plastic/rubber emits smell and this smell doesn't disappear in years, it's definitely not healthy for people who hold their launchpads on their desks and breathing all that chemistry.

AbletonMASCHINE

Post by AbletonMASCHINE » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:04 am

My LP pro MK3 doesn't smell.