Launchpad to much dependent on Live DAW / please read!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
wehkah

Launchpad to much dependent on Live DAW / please read!

Post by wehkah » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:22 pm

Hello Users & Developers,

i've bought my launchpad and im satisfied with the ableton live integration but in any cases the leds causing many faulty feedbacks.

the most incommodious thing is the midi configuration of this pad, to use it with software like reaktor or other standalone apps it would be nice to have an editor. the most of other nice and cheaper midi controllers have this feature.

ok, i can use automap but why, i dont need a snag! automap is great for using vsts but to play around with a standard synth i must reconfigure the whole midi settings of the launchpad. :(

in the past i think ableton inc. are user-friendly and user-oriented? why these change?

i think the launchpad is not tested enough by musicans before release date. and max4live is not the only app i read about in the promotion.

Note: max4live pricing is toooooo much for normal users!

All the best for the future. Peace & Sun
Tino

PS: sorry for my buggy english :lol:
Motto: sharing knowledge...

https://soundcloud.com/bytechop

arctic ranger

Re: Launchpad to much dependent on Live DAW / please read!

Post by arctic ranger » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:30 pm

not trying to be an idiot...just a question. wouldnt you need sliders and knobs to control other
software like reaktor? wouldnt this be much easier?

i dont have the LP so i guess im not getting it.
mpb c2d, remote sl, mpc1000, korg legacy, zebra 2, phoscyon, devastator

http://soundcloud.com/enrock/first-edit

goofrider

Post by goofrider » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:34 pm

With Automap's user mode you can send standard midi messeges. You have 16 midi channels to work with, each provide virtually unlimited pages of controls. You can save unlimited control maps (equivalent to saving templates on on Remote SL), Automap provide feedback back to Launchpad and you can see the mapping on screen. It's every bit as good as a standard midi controller with a editor/librarian if all u want to control is software.

Including programmable midi support in hardware will increase cost and make other ppl expect yet more (e.g. midi out port). I think Novation made some pretty much made the best Ableton Live controller for the price and the fact that it supports Automap too is just a nice bonus to me. Akai APC 40 cost twices as much and doesn't even support midi.

I don't really understand what kind of software you want to use with the Launchpad either, without native Launchpad support (with LED feedback), it's just a set of 8x8 buttons without velocity even. I do hope to use the Launchpad with step sequencers, but I'd wait a bit and see if anyone come up with native support for it in Reason, Logic, FL Studio, etc. It's only been out for a month.

Automap HAS a midi mode, and in that environment Automap **is** the editor/librarian. I think you'll find the whole setup more flexible once you adjust to it.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:39 pm

couldn't you make a Reaktor patch to take incoming Launch Pad data and change it to whatever you want?

LOL at "bad English" after you used the word "incommodious." you have a deep vocabulary for a non-native speaker, I don't think I've heard a native speaker use that word. I think Michael Caine uses it in a few movies.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

scientist

Post by scientist » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:29 pm

feature request started here:
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=128193

i'm not holding my breath for an independent editor, as max for live will be able to handle most requests (in user modes at least, not sure if it's possible to override/modify the built in modes).

wehkah

Post by wehkah » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:16 pm

@tone deft: my bad english is powered by dict.cc ;)
Motto: sharing knowledge...

https://soundcloud.com/bytechop

ayahuasca

Post by ayahuasca » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:48 pm

goofrider wrote:
Automap HAS a midi mode, and in that environment Automap **is** the editor/librarian. I think you'll find the whole setup more flexible once you adjust to it.

question goofrider.

(or whomever may read this)

with standard automap (or "pro") one can change the mappings of the launchpad pads? in user mode, say one pad's default is channel 5 note 5, with automap one can rename that pad to, say, channel 9, note 34?

I am not seeing this. but it's important to me as I want to simultaneously use two controllers trigger the same things in ableton, thus I need to be able to change what messages the controller sends.

I have the launchpad with the standard automap, but it's not clear to me how automap can act as an editor librarian to remap the launchpad.

thanks.
satellite system: mbp 2016 2.7, live 10; RME babypro, Roland A-300 pro, Shure 1540's, Shure SM7B, Roland Cube, Refx N2, Nerve....

Dexes

Post by Dexes » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:49 pm

ayahuasca wrote:I have the launchpad with the standard automap, but it's not clear to me how automap can act as an editor librarian to remap the launchpad.
Automap doesn't act as an editor, it is one. Though it works slightly different from most controlers editors. Instead of changing the messages the LP sends to your computer (these messages are allways the same), when you enter automap mode it intercepts the message and changes it to whatever you want it to be.
This way
a) you can save 100s or 1000s of pages of templates on your computer and the production costs could be reduced as there's no need for installing a memory for loads of templates.
b) You can attach any launchpad to you computer and your templates will be there.
with standard automap (or "pro") one can change the mappings of the launchpad pads? in user mode, say one pad's default is channel 5 note 5, with automap one can rename that pad to, say, channel 9, note 34?
this is the ONLY thing that automap does/the reason it exists. But forget about the "user 1" "user 2" etc. you have to enter automap mode (hold down user2 and press the down arrow) then you will get a screen like this:

select a square and click in the parameter field at the bottom and you will get this:

The only differences between standard & pro are: use multiple controlers with automap simultainiously, drag & drop controls on the automap gui & being able to map qwerty keyboard keys

ayahuasca

Post by ayahuasca » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:37 am

thanks very much Dexes for all this detail. excellent and kind of you to take the time.

I guess my last question is about how the lights on the LP could/would respond with my own mapping...
satellite system: mbp 2016 2.7, live 10; RME babypro, Roland A-300 pro, Shure 1540's, Shure SM7B, Roland Cube, Refx N2, Nerve....

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:32 am

I am also very interested in how the led feedback colors could be changed.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

kongbalong

Post by kongbalong » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:46 pm

i'm not sure if you guys are interested in this, but i've been working on a standalone reaktor ensemble that uses the launchpad as a drum sequencer. it also works in Kore to control other plugins:

http://kongbalong.com/blog/2010/02/03/r ... launchpad/

-craig
P4 3.2Ghz
2GB Ram
MOTU Traveler
XP

divonic

Post by divonic » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:28 pm

Isn't this like complaining that the remote that came with your TV works great with your TV but on your stereo it only changes the current input and turns it on and off but doesn't control the volume? Tho I might be misunderstanding what you are complaining about . . .