Clip Level Envelopes (would be very useful for live perf.)

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
AudioRuso

Clip Level Envelopes (would be very useful for live perf.)

Post by AudioRuso » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:38 am

So I had an idea today which I think would be particularly very useful in a live performance situation.

The the thing is, most of the time when you do a live pa set vsts are quite unstable and running clips with many effects gets processor and memory intensive.

The best solution for this is to flatten your tracks and then it runs smooth... but at a cost of the beautiful effects trails when you hit the stop button. After tracks are flattened they just stop instantly.

An obvious solution would be to flatten all effects except for things like delays and reverbs... but that becomes time consuming and once again brings in lots of rack chains which brings in cpu spikes and other issues.

Today I though of a very good alternative. It could be very useful for other things too but would particularly be a great feature to solve the above issue:
Implementing an envelope on the clip level. What I mean by this... is to add a knob to the clip's editing view (perhaps near transposition controls) that would control the release of a clip once it has been stopped.

For example, say you have a looping clip. When you go to the next scene or hit the stop button in ableton, instead of the clip instantly stopping to play it will fade out gradually.

This could be useful for one shot clips too and would allow for a new set of effects to be makable.

Thanks for reading and considering.

Korhan

Re: Clip Level Envelopes (would be very useful for live perf.)

Post by Korhan » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:46 pm

Interesting to see this has created no responses. I have been wishing for such a feature for some time now. I would settle for a simple 'release' parameter for each clip. This feature could be usable even in dance music and even so in DJing.
Computer: MBP M1Pro 32GB 1TB, MixPre 6 MKII
Hardware: Syntrx II, Matriarch, Hydrasynth, Minifreak, Nord Drum 2, Modular (mainly Make Noise)
Controllers: Push 3, Launchpad Mk3, Launch Control, Sensel Morph, PC4, Nanokontrol