Using Live 8.0 for Live performances

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
mattstan

Using Live 8.0 for Live performances

Post by mattstan » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:38 pm

Hey, So I have been using live since Live 6.0 came out. Pretty familiar with the program. I was wondering if anyone has good tips on using it for live performances. So I will use the apc 40 and my mac book pro as well as my akai mpk49. Is there an easy way to have one song up and running in session view, and have my next song up-and-running to I can crossfade into another song? Or even just to have another song loaded and ready to go so there isn't a bunch of lag time in between two songs? Any ideas or hints would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

supamonsta

Re: Using Live 8.0 for Live performances

Post by supamonsta » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:16 pm

Pretty familiar with the program.
Let me doubt :wink:

no offense mate, but I'm sure you didn't grasp the whole ableton live philosophy.

1) Go SESSION VIEW. 8)

2) Read your manual :roll:

3) search this forum, everywhere are discussed such things. Tarekith tutorials are great to begin with.

4) play and have fun!!! :D

Have good times

cheers

hobbycore

Post by hobbycore » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:31 pm

monstrejumo wrote:
Pretty familiar with the program.
Let me doubt :wink:

no offense mate, but I'm sure you didn't grasp the whole ableton live philosophy.

1) Go SESSION VIEW. 8)

2) Read your manual :roll:

3) search this forum, everywhere are discussed such things. Tarekith tutorials are great to begin with.

4) play and have fun!!! :D

Have good times

cheers
You could have at least TRIED to read past the first sentence. :evil:

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:35 pm

Didn't mean to offense you mate, sorry if I did :wink:

but I HAD read your whole topic, I just read it again, and I still think the same.

crossfading between 2 loaded songs (2 clips in session view, on 2 different tracks) is a basic thing live was made for. just assign the 1st to "A' of the crossfader, the 2nd track to "B", then crossfade as you like, with a midi fader or crossfader assigned to it.

you can load as clips as tracks you want, launch them when you want, crossfade them, EQ, and then have no lag or silence between 2 songs.

Live was made just for that : LIVE playing.

and it excels in that department.

The session view is the tool for that.

Point! :wink:

Or perhaps be more precise, I'll be happy to help!

cheers

nezzyidy

Post by nezzyidy » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:37 pm

Monsterjumbo - I don't believe you understand the question.

Here's an excellent video for turning your printed tracks into a playable live set.
http://vimeo.com/1701545

nezzyidy

Post by nezzyidy » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:40 pm

Actually I'm not sure that I understand either, are you DJing or performing?

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:52 am

well, I may not understand, but the OP's questions seems simple and clear, isn't it?

he wants to get advices to be able to make crossfades between songs, and to play his tracks live, without any lag or silence between them:
1) Is there an easy way to have one song up and running in session view, and have my next song up-and-running to I can crossfade into another song?
2) Or even just to have another song loaded and ready to go so there isn't a bunch of lag time in between two songs?
1) yes : use live's crossfader, as I said before.
2) with your songs loaded as clips in session view, you can mix your songs, i.e., the end of one with the beginning of the other, so as to have no silence between the songs.

===>

1) I'm really dumb and I don't understand a single stuff in this topic

(or)

2) I was right since the beginning : the OP needs to read his manual and discover a huge basic aspect of the software he claims to be pretty familiar with.

:?:

discomb

Post by discomb » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:12 pm

Tom Cosm's video is great, seems so obvious :)

There is a nice big space on the right of session view that would fit 6 more tracks in. Perfect to drag in another tune's 6-tracks from the browser for mixing together!

It's a shame there is no 'magic button' as it seems like it would take an hour or more to sort out a track, but it's gotta be done I s'pose. If there is a magic button it says "load .wav of full rendered tune into one track in session view, and the second tune into another track", but you have very limited options.

It's interesting that no sends were used at all, all 'voices' were in their own tracks. I've recently been using 4 send channels as 4 mono outs (for the soundman/hardware mixer); routing each track to one of these sends depending on if it's 'bass', 'synth', 'vocal' or 'drums' (need two more outs!). I don't see why Tom Cosm's technique wouldn't work with multiple outs on sends, as long as you use the same routing setup with every live set.

mattstan

Post by mattstan » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:47 pm

Hey All,

Yea monstrejumo you were mistaken. I clearly understand how to use ableton. What I was talking about was performing song is session view, that consists of 20 tracks. I use a lot of reason via external instruments on my tracks is well. What i was trying to figure out was how can I go from one song/project in session view, to another one seamlessly all on one computer. Neddyizzy, Ill take a look at the video. Thanks!!

-Matt

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:04 am

Ok then :o

I'll advise you to save track groups, or clip groups, and load the stuff progressively on pre-made tracks/slots, with drag and drop from live's browser (use one browser memory for this folder)

you don't need to load everything, but at least half the ending song + half the entering song. you allways replace the same slot groups on the same track groups with the incoming clip groups, and you allways use the same session view space and channels, the same midi controls...

but for that you have to organise your empty slots, with your midi devices, reason, midi assignations for your controllers etc

and so each clip group you drag here must corrsepond to that pattern (i.e, track 1 = bass, track 2= drums, track3=reason1, track 4=reason2...)

and your midi clips shall send program changes to your midi devices because you won't upload 20 instances of reason, so you will use the same tracks with their instruments and fx racks for ALL your songs. same for fx rack, you'll have to work with presets

You may have other options, but It's my present "protocol" and I really enjoy playing live that way. Kinda "live destructu-remixing" fun... (I only work with audio multi-bounces of my songs, no live midi for me, I use my synths for composition, but only manipulate audio when gigging, so I don't need all this presets and program changes)

Good luck and sorry for the misunderstanding :wink: