Is anyone else MASSIVELY excited to see Avatar?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
$4mU3l

Re: Is anyone else MASSIVELY excited to see Avatar?

Post by $4mU3l » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:17 pm

henke wrote:
$4mU3l wrote:
henke wrote:Tone Deft + SubFunk:

If this continues we will send you both together to Goluhoolulaagaar Island with a contanier full of canned meat and a single laptop with Live 1.5 on it!!!

Robert
Think this will help a lot because they would be more relaxed due to the fact that Live 1.5 has got less bugs & crashes than Live 8.1. :D
Okay $4mU3l. You are on the list too. Critical statements are the last things we want here. Tsssssssssss!
Sorry to disappoint you but I think I'm already on that list because of other threads I started in the past... :oops: I also think that those threads ruined a possible carrer at ableton therefore I last-minute canceled my application. :cry:

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:23 pm

^^^ well, than you are as bad as me in xxxx xxxxxxx politics.

don't worry, we can establish a politics and xxxx xxxxxxx free society on the island :lol:
*** Image GAFM ***

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:32 pm

henke wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:
(...) the movie is for kids and it's important to teach these lessons to kids.

errr.... that's exactly the kind of world view I would not want to teach my kids..... ah, anyway... back to max patch land....

r.
- it's OK to go against the crowd to follow your morals.
- protect the environment
- respect spirituality
- respect the lives of animals
- money is not the most important thing in life

if the movie went the way of that author the aliens would destroy the humans in one fell swoop, roll credits, done. that wouldn't be a lesson in being active in helping the environment. I don't see how it could be written differently and still be effective. still, this is overthinking the movie. I agree that it can be analyzed as disgustingly ironic but don't see it going down differently. it's a shallow, bling bling, blinky shiny James Cameron Christmas blockbuster flick, it's not An Inconvenient Truth.

somehow this feels like debating who's stronger, Mickey Mouse or Superman.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:56 am

it becomes private in here :lol: :mrgreen:

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:00 am

henke wrote: errr.... that's exactly the kind of world view I would not want to teach my kids..... ah, anyway... back to max patch land....

r.
8)

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:11 am

Machinesworking wrote:
henke wrote: errr.... that's exactly the kind of world view I would not want to teach my kids..... ah, anyway... back to max patch land....

r.
8)
you saw the movie?
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:13 am

If I want to be blown away by a story, Ill read a book.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:48 am

Tone Deft wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:

r.
8)
you saw the movie?
I think it's clear that I sympathize with the concise and clear post Henke made. Politically, I do not have to watch No Intelligence Allowed to understand the viewpoint of the Intelligent Design crowd, nor do I have to watch a huge blockbuster movie made by a hollywood liberal to understand that it will include all the usual stereotypes of western imperialism VS indigenous people. That said, getting busy making music might be a better idea than arguing with people on the internet about the finer points of archetypical characters and whether that sort of simplistic and very arguably goofy worldview is one to teach your children. Basically I'm also not interested or wanting to argue about the finer details of one of hollywoods 20 plot lines. I'm sure it's a pretty movie to look at but I also am turned off by animal/people hybrid characters in general, so that doesn't help me want to watch the movie either.

I thought Henke did a great job of saying most of what I feel about the plot line without any wasted words, hence the 8) but you know me, I'm going to write a small essay etc. :oops:

Merry Xmas

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:53 am

ThrowAway wrote:If I want to be blown away by a story, Ill read a book.
Let the Right One In
Don't know if it qualifies for 'blown away by a story', but it's touching, low budget, and not simple in ethics etc.
That's just one of hundreds of beautiful to watch, semi deep movies out there with good pacing.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:19 am

Machinesworking wrote:
ThrowAway wrote:If I want to be blown away by a story, Ill read a book.
Let the Right One In
Don't know if it qualifies for 'blown away by a story', but it's touching, low budget, and not simple in ethics etc.
That's just one of hundreds of beautiful to watch, semi deep movies out there with good pacing.
+1 and made very 'simple' i mean technical, just a beautiful deep story, with excellent acting, great light and amazingly good camera. plus the soundtrack fitted.
it's surely not the best film ever made, but worth a watch.
*** Image GAFM ***

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:34 am

henke wrote:http://skiffy.wordpress.com/2009/12/26/review-avatar/

a review that sums up some of my thoughts much better than i could do....
Yeah that encapsulates a lot of what I felt. Although I think the main motive in picking a white American male to take the Journey of the Hero archetype is mostly to allow the largest possible audience to identify with him and thereby cream in the most possible money. Why they feel a White American Male is the safest aspirational hero figure for a movie, there I tend to agree with the article. In Fairness to Cameron he did make Ellen Ripley the best female action hero ever.

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:38 am

ikeaboy wrote: In Fairness to Cameron he did make Ellen Ripley the best female action hero ever.
In fairness to Ridley Scott, the first and the only good Alien was directed by Ridley Scott.
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:51 am

saw it in IMAX 3d on christmas day and I must admit I loved every minute of it!
Yes the story is cliched but I don't think it really matters if it's executed and presented this well.
This is not a documentary about native people's lifestyles, it's a frickin' space fantasy adventure movie.

netchaiev

Post by netchaiev » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:21 pm

Not excited about Avatar but I will see it for the experience and visual work.

But I was excited to see Where Wild Things Are and LOVED it.

Yes it's slow, not much happening but I was stunned to see something through the eyes of a nine year old.
Everything, from dialogues to how he sees "grown-ups" is what we make of life and death at 9.
Time stretches, people and places change... well it's a great allegory and poetic film.
I bought the book again for myself and kids around me!
MBP 2011/i7/10.8/Live 8 Suite/M4L+Launchpad+TF+KorgNano.
http://soundcloud.com/netchaiev
http://www.vimeo.com/user408737

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:41 pm

Machinesworking wrote: I think it's clear that I sympathize with the concise and clear post Henke made. Politically, I do not have to watch No Intelligence Allowed to understand the viewpoint of the Intelligent Design crowd, nor do I have to watch a huge blockbuster movie made by a hollywood liberal to understand that it will include all the usual stereotypes of western imperialism VS indigenous people. That said, getting busy making music might be a better idea than arguing with people on the internet about the finer points of archetypical characters and whether that sort of simplistic and very arguably goofy worldview is one to teach your children. Basically I'm also not interested or wanting to argue about the finer details of one of hollywoods 20 plot lines. I'm sure it's a pretty movie to look at but I also am turned off by animal/people hybrid characters in general, so that doesn't help me want to watch the movie either.

I thought Henke did a great job of saying most of what I feel about the plot line without any wasted words, hence the 8) but you know me, I'm going to write a small essay etc. :oops:

Merry Xmas
wow. ok.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz