Audio interface advice needed

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Hot Machete

Audio interface advice needed

Post by Hot Machete » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:48 pm

I've recently made the switch from an old desktop to a new, high-end laptop, and I need some advice on picking out an audio interface. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit on an HP dv8t with i7 quad core & 4GB RAM.

As for the audio interface, all I need is 2-in/2-out. I don't need MIDI I/O on the interface. I'd prefer at least 96khz recording ability. Any recording I do will mainly be occasionally grabbing a sound off an old synth or sampling from a turntable. I won't be recording any vocals/guitar with the rig. Since this is for a bedroom studio, I'd like to keep the cost low. Right now I'm leaning towards the EMU 0202. Is this a mistake? Should I be looking at firewise instead of USB? Is there a better option for under $150 that I should be looking at instead? Has anyone had any issues with the EMU 0202 under Windows 7 64-bit? Thanks.

xcile

Re: Audio interface advice needed

Post by xcile » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:39 pm

I use the EMU 0404 (2 ins 2 outs) with Windows 7 64bit and have had no problems at all. I use mine in a home studio with less CPU power than you and use it to record guitar,bass, various vsti's -- so push it quite hard and it has never let me down thus far.

anachroschism

Post by anachroschism » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:13 pm

Ive been looking at the NI audio DJ 2, hundred bucks real simple and good audio quality from what ive read, popular with the djtechtools VCI crowd. check it out.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:18 am

You should not look at firewire interfaces because the firewire chipsets on modern PC laptops (except custom built audio ones like ADK etc) are always the cheap and crappy kind which is not designed for performance of audio and MIDI devices.

Given that you only need a couple of ins and outs, there are a few USB 2.0 options, the EMU0404 being one of them. Edirol UA25EX is another. The EMU0202 is lacking a lot of features provided in the EMU0404, so I would advise you pony up because it's worth it in the long run. You never know when you'll need those extra features. Also, typically MIDI built into audio interfaces is often better then midi-usb options and more synchonized with the audio IMHO. You might need to consider something like the Native INstruments Audio 4 DJ which has proper phono inputs for sampling from your turntable although it has no XLR inputs (XLR are the best kind of input for most semi/professional mics).

You need to find something which fits your requirements and might have to stretch your budget a little to do it right, instead of having to compromise and regret for having paid just a little less.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

evileye

Post by evileye » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:30 am

Im on the look out for a sound card and i have been looking at the Novation Nio
130 sterling ot to sure about dollars
check it on youtube
lots of info about it

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:56 am

I used to give what I thought was very good technical advice, but I haven't gone to Windows 7 yet so I can give you some general advice and so brands-to-look-at advice.

General advice, go to the website of any interface vendor you are looking at and make sure they have drivers for Windows 7 available. Shop/compare based on the features and then come back and ask about the specific ones you've narrowed down to.

Brands advice:

I got a Tascam interface a while back. It is a very sturdy unit and had good sound. I don't think it had ASIO drivers then, but the more recent models likely do: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6 ... B_2_0.html

Tascam is a less-often discussed brand here, their stuff comes bundled with Cubase LE which I found not as compelling as Live.

If you have an expresscard slot, you might want to think about an Echo IOx. Suprisingly good sound on these small gizmos.

The Novation one does look nice, and they generally put out good stuff.

People have been down somewhat as of late on the M-Audio stuff, I didn't have a bad experience, though. Others that I haven't heard specifics of but have hear mixed kudos/complaining about that are in your price range are Alesis, Presonus, Yamaha and CME. People complain about everything, mostly it has to do with having the most up to date drivers.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:18 am

The Echo Indigo is a great card, however it has no preamps, so for micing up you'll need a preamp or mixer with preamps. If you only ever used softsynths and never had to record any vocals, guitars, other instruments with a mic it gives great performance and low latency.

There are not many good USB devices around with low latency drivers compared to firewire but firewire will suck on your laptop.

The NIO looks like a good bet as it has an XLR input, and other line inputs but it doesn't have a RCA phono input for hooking up your turntable directly for sampling. (although if you don't mind running it through an amplifier it has regular phono ins).

Check reviews. Check drivers and compatibility with win 7 - some products are not there yet, or have beta/flaky drivers.

The Edirol UA25EX, Emu 0404USB and Native Instruments Audio Kontrol 1 have all got great low latency drivers on Vista and XP, but I don't know about w7.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

XTremeDaddy

Post by XTremeDaddy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:15 pm

I've been looking at the Focusrite Saffire USB 6 for my 64 bit Win 7 rig - they list Win7 drivers when they launched it last month - but I havent seen any reviews out for it yet.

Spazi

Post by Spazi » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:03 am

I ordered the Fireface 400, heard alot of great stuff about it. A bit expensive, but I'm not going to suffer anymore on the audio quality. I've been using digidesign interfaces. and their shit!
peace brother!
Dell XPS 8000
Macbook 2.4Ghz 4GB RAM
Ableton Live 8.2.7
Akai APC40
RME Fireface 400
Axe-FX II

http://soundcloud.com/mothmouthmusic