Do I need a KP3 or Maschine for sampling & construction?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
spaced_

Do I need a KP3 or Maschine for sampling & construction?

Post by spaced_ » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:10 am

i have a Launchpad and a miniKP and i'm looking for a basic sampler which can also play and construct beats. looking at what i've already owned, would i really need a:

1. KP3 (bearing that it's also a sampler and that i already own the miniKP as an EFX processor) or
2. Maschine (bearing that it's a formidable beat/ track constructor but at a $$$$$ price)

both can be used as standalone with stored kits/ beats/ components on an SD card.
both would be great (not sure about the KP3) for construction while lounging on a couch at the same time sans a laptop.
they'd work as great energy savers too :)

i seriously need opinions before i blow my paper out.

thanks & cheers!
spaced_

munizj08

Re: Do I need a KP3 or Maschine for sampling & construction?

Post by munizj08 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:06 am

well, if i were you, i would by maschine. without a doubt. i have a kp3 and i can honestly say i hate it. its one of my worst investments. i bought it when i was in a shitty indie rock band for some basic fx. the sampling feature on it really sucks. maschine looks like a better investment.

vicz

Post by vicz » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:56 am

KP3 can only have 4 samples in memory at a time, though you can resample with effects over and over again, as well as subdivide them, loads of good vids on youtube, eg check out Denkitribes stuff. Managing samples to SD is a bit of a pain as you can't name them just give them numbers, managing from a computer also poor for the same reason. It does work standalone with a power brick and headphones though.

Maschine is far far more capable in terms of sampling and has loads of effects but not quite as easy to manipulate them without the XY pad BUT Maschine needs a computer available all of the time to work. The hardware is really only a controller for the computer application, indeed you can run the application quite happily on its own for sampling etc without the hardware controller even being connected. So if you want something standalone without a computer then its either the KP3 or a more traditional sampler/beatbox like one of the MPCs.

kristoffer1989

Post by kristoffer1989 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:49 pm

can't you just use live? you have the launchpad, you have sessionview and you have drumracks?
Kristoffer Lislegaard
Myspace - Soundcloud - Vimeo

spaced_

Post by spaced_ » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:44 pm

good opinions there. i'd love to get hold of the SP-404 too but apparently i'd have to purchase it online. i'll keep the opinions and hopefully be able to decide which to get :)

cheers to that mates!
spaced_

spaced_

Post by spaced_ » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:47 pm

babkubwa wrote:worth considering the micro sampler from korg?

http://www.gear4music.com/Keyboards-and ... yboard/BR8
i gave it a try and it just felt weird with the keys :) slight bad vibes on it and at the same time getting the same kind of vibes surrounding me heheh. it was one of my choices but i'll probably give it a miss :)

cheers!
spaced_

kristoffer1989

Post by kristoffer1989 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:48 pm

Roland sp-series.
Korg electribes.
Mpc
Kristoffer Lislegaard
Myspace - Soundcloud - Vimeo

Atomikat

Post by Atomikat » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:25 pm

I use a KP3 and it lets me play with a computer, without it, with my electribes, samplers,synths,a mic,etc,etc. Ok, the sampler on it could be a bit limited but if you're creative you can do tons of new things on the fly: Add effects,sample,resample,create transitions,beats,improvise,etc. :mrgreen:

With Maschine you are tied to a computer always.

spaced_

Post by spaced_ » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:15 am

kristoffer1989 wrote:Roland sp-series.
Korg electribes.
Mpc
the SP-404SX would be my best consideration :)
Atomikat wrote:I use a KP3 and it lets me play with a computer, without it, with my electribes, samplers,synths,a mic,etc,etc. Ok, the sampler on it could be a bit limited but if you're creative you can do tons of new things on the fly: Add effects,sample,resample,create transitions,beats,improvise,etc. :mrgreen:

With Maschine you are tied to a computer always.
yet another Maschine recommendation heheh. okay we'll see :mrgreen:

cheers people!
spaced_

hurlingdervish

Post by hurlingdervish » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:43 pm

if you know how to work it, the kp3 is amazing
spaced_ wrote:
kristoffer1989 wrote:Roland sp-series.
Korg electribes.
Mpc
the SP-404SX would be my best consideration :)
but i love my sp-555

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:50 pm

Check out Beardyman on Youtube... Serious KP3-usage! What a genius.

hurlingdervish

Post by hurlingdervish » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:58 pm

it should also be said that if you are the type to complain about every little limitation that you should just avoid hardware altogether. but i enjoy the challenge of limiting myself and playing by the machine's rules as it has led me to some great ideas

spaced_

Post by spaced_ » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:31 am

hurlingdervish wrote:it should also be said that if you are the type to complain about every little limitation that you should just avoid hardware altogether. but i enjoy the challenge of limiting myself and playing by the machine's rules as it has led me to some great ideas
true that :) i've mates who actually manage to do great stuff with the KP3. it'd be nice to have couple of machines that would help you accomplish different things. but it would be great knowing that you manage to accomplish those various things with 1 or very few machines :)
spaced_