The best way to route Live on stage?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bosonHavoc

Re: The best way to route Live on stage?

Post by bosonHavoc » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:08 pm

LeifonMars wrote:
vicz wrote:
LeifonMars wrote:What people above suggested is good and everything, but as I understood you want to do some real time fx'ing on stage, right? In that case, you need an ultra low latency sound card such as this: http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_fireface_uc.php.
You don't need to spend $1000 on a soundcard to play a Live set or a softsynth on stage.
Read the OPs post.
its something to keep in mind..
he could spend 3-500 and get something that might suit his needs but if it doesn't then he needs to go drop a 1000 anyway..

do good research and don't waste money

we run 2 vocals, 1 triton le, upright bass, and a sampling mic into a presonus firestudio into a mac book pro... plus battery, slynth1, some samplers, and drum racks
plus effects. sometimes i add a horn or guitar too.
our set up works great and we do not have any noticeable latency issues
lots of i/o is nice..
i like to send the sound engineer as much separation as i can so they can do their job well.

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:31 pm

bosonHavoc wrote:
its something to keep in mind..
he could spend 3-500 and get something that might suit his needs but if it doesn't then he needs to go drop a 1000 anyway..

do good research and don't waste money

we run 2 vocals, 1 triton le, upright bass, and a sampling mic into a presonus firestudio into a mac book pro... plus battery, slynth1, some samplers, and drum racks
plus effects. sometimes i add a horn or guitar too.
our set up works great and we do not have any noticeable latency issues
lots of i/o is nice..
i like to send the sound engineer as much separation as i can so they can do their job well.
But once again: are you sending out those 2 vocals etc. wet or dry, or both? I'm having hard time to believe, that pure wet signal (roundtrip from A/D to DAW and back to D/A) could go around without any noticeable latency (then again: what is noticeable), without mixing dry signal on top of it with most of the firewire (or USB) interfaces.

EDIT: I'm also having hard time trying to discuss about this topic with my limited english skills.

Anyhow, this is what we do: 3 stereos pairs for external synths, 2 mono inputs for vox, 1 for gtr, 1 stereo pair for drum sets v-drum brain out put. All smashed and fx'd in Live, equal number of outputs but all 100% wet. There was no way to get this work with firewire cards I had earlier: TC KonnektLive, Motu Ultralite, Saffire Pro40, because of latency issues (I'm not saying that latency was noticeable for audience, it was just annoying to play and was definitely noticeable for us playing and singing).
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:10 pm

we are sending out everything wet
and ya i don't notice any latency
i'll ask my singer if she does..
but either she doesn't notice or it is not enough to bother her.

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:21 pm

bosonHavoc wrote: or it is not enough to bother her.
Yeah, I'm starting to think that the problem is the members of my band who were/are just too lazy to adapt :x .
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

vicz

Post by vicz » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:40 pm

LeifonMars wrote:
vicz wrote:
LeifonMars wrote:What people above suggested is good and everything, but as I understood you want to do some real time fx'ing on stage, right? In that case, you need an ultra low latency sound card such as this: http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_fireface_uc.php.
You don't need to spend $1000 on a soundcard to play a Live set or a softsynth on stage.
Read the OPs post.
I did smartarse
the best sounding way to use Live as an instrument.

And whatever, you still don't need to spend $1000 on a soundcard to play Live on stage.

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:20 pm

vicz wrote: I did smartarse
the best sounding way to use Live as an instrument.

And whatever, you still don't need to spend $1000 on a soundcard to play Live on stage.
:roll: No need to get upset and everything.

He's also talking about routing mic input through Live (not just about playing set and a couple softsynths), and in my experience firewire cards latencies are not low enough to do that live. However, I've been now confirmed by couple of other Live users who do this as well, that you can get latencies low enough to do that, and I'm happy to accept that though my own experiences were opposite.