that flying lotus sound?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
john gordon

that flying lotus sound?

Post by john gordon » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:17 pm

not only his beats,but the synth sounds and bass.if i could conquer this sound my life would be complete.i guess it doesnt hurt having alice coltrane as your auntie...

UKRuss

Re: that flying lotus sound?

Post by UKRuss » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:35 pm

You really need max4live for that sound..... 8O

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:46 pm

mwwwaaaaaaaaahhhhhhaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:13 pm

most of it is the microkorg

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:14 pm

Which album or EP are you referring to? There are some real differences between them of course.

The Los Angeles album is sprinkled with dirt. I'm guessing some character-full compressors and EQs.

Here's an image of his studio (probably from around the time of Los Angeles production - might have changed since): http://www.flying-lotus.com/myspace/res ... dio420.jpg. Notice how he's hiding his software. Kind of inspiring how his monitors are in a less than ideal listening position (if that is where he mixes).

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:15 pm

starving student wrote:most of it is the microkorg
That's definitely true of Dorian Concept, but not sure about Flying Lotus.

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:16 pm

space echo...i dont really hear tons of echo but maybe he is using it in a different way.

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:22 pm

all of his drum sounds sound like they come straight outta the banginbeats collection and are nothing special, he just uses a good amount of efx on'em, and some videogame samples. check out banginbeats.com and listen to their demos

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:44 pm

fatrabbit wrote:
starving student wrote:most of it is the microkorg
That's definitely true of Dorian Concept, but not sure about Flying Lotus.
love that little thing...

Alextronica

Post by Alextronica » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:22 pm

Good Luck

Steve himself would even talk about that stuff. He didnt have any problem hitting me up for a toke though.

I smoked him out before one of his shows. It was just him and me. I was trying to make conversation and said "So do you use Ableton?"

He reply "I dont like to talk about that stuff" We then talked about women.

My point is Steve is cool but really protective of his sound. He wont even say if he used Ableton and I could he did just from looking at the laptop screen while he played. I didnt even get to prying about tips or synths.

You'll just have to use your ears.
Black Mac Book 2.16 4gigs of Ram > Ableton 7 Suite > Komplete 5 > APC40 > Novation Remote SL25 > Allen and Heath Xone 92 > Korg Kaoscillator

www.soundcloud.com/Alextronica

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:36 pm

wow...i guess i wont ask him on his my space page!

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:08 pm

fatrabbit wrote:Which album or EP are you referring to? There are some real differences between them of course.

The Los Angeles album is sprinkled with dirt. I'm guessing some character-full compressors and EQs.

Here's an image of his studio (probably from around the time of Los Angeles production - might have changed since): http://www.flying-lotus.com/myspace/res ... dio420.jpg. Notice how he's hiding his software. Kind of inspiring how his monitors are in a less than ideal listening position (if that is where he mixes).

just in general

@ flylos sound, thing is it's all signature sounds in other words all the pieces he tends to use have a signature character and that pick fatrabbit put up is a perfect example, if you're familiar with the kit in that pic they all have signature character to thier sounds,
I think the thing I like best about flying lotus is that his recordings don't sound 'perfect' or to clean, there's alot of phasing and dirt, sloppyness, makes even his cold stuff sound organic I like it like that

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:06 am

john gordon wrote:space echo...i dont really hear tons of echo but maybe he is using it in a different way.
he might be using it for the dirt: seriously, run anything through that with the gain cranked and you get a cruddy 1000-play laquer single coming out the other end. Single-tap delay with no feedback and then that's a quick way of getting audio to tape and back into the system.
It was my main reason for having on in the first place, until it got overtaken by the Korg Stage Echo for the same type of sound.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

andrewbrewer

Post by andrewbrewer » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:30 am

can someone point me to the best flylo track? i picked up a cd of his and i don't think i "get it" (yet?)

Zeddy

Post by Zeddy » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:41 am

andrewbrewer wrote:can someone point me to the best flylo track? i picked up a cd of his and i don't think i "get it" (yet?)
IMO, Flying Lotus doesn't just have one standout track... you really need to listen to all of Los Angeles all the way through from start to finish. That is the best way to experience it.