Are the Bitstream 3x controllers any good for live use?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
moreofmorris

Are the Bitstream 3x controllers any good for live use?

Post by moreofmorris » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:33 am

I'm trying to find a decent enough controller that has 8 faders and lots of knobs for affecting sends for the tracks, to go with the Novation Launchpad... So I can start getting a live thing going.

Are these any good? http://www.waveidea.com/en/products/bitstream_3x/

Anyone here used one?

Re: Are the Bitstream 3x controllers any good for live use?

Post by 4.33 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:31 am

yep.

cons:
it's a bitch to program, but once you get your head around it - it's quite flexible.
there is little space between knobs, and they are hard to turn.
fader caps were coming off - had to glue them down (except for that the build quality is ok)
buttons are too small and not all of them are reassignable (only 13, if i remember correctly)
three knobs on the right side (the arpeggiator) cannot be reassigned

pros:
touch-sensitive ribbon is ace
xyz joystic
metal casing

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:18 am

Thanks for the info 4.33

dancing Ray

Post by dancing Ray » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:53 am

It really is a bitch to programm :?

One reason I bought it was the motion sampler which in fact makes automation in session view possible. 8)
Unfortunately my live tends to crash when I use the built-in automation thing. Too much information for live. :x
I tried a lot to solve this, but as said before: it's a bitch to program.
Maybe the power is simply not with me.

Metal casing, yes. :roll: My power button is kind of loose, so when it gets "touched" in the wrong direction the unit will loose power and reboot. This can be quite annoying as live needs it to be powered before live is started.
The faders are not of the best quality, either.

Overall build quality is not the best, Imo. I am a first generation buyer, maybe they changed it for the better.

On the upside you have lots of controls on a single bus powered unit.

**threadjack alert**

4.33, is the automation working with your setup?
Do you use the crossfader? How did you set it up?
Spiralgroove wrote:a little quantization never hurt nobody

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:04 am

The Behringer BCF2000 has 8 fader and lots of buttons and knobs.. The faders are motorized and its cheap..

Post by 4.33 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:25 am

dancing Ray wrote:
4.33, is the automation working with your setup?
Do you use the crossfader? How did you set it up?
to be honest, i havent even tried to crack it. after having a nightmare figuring out how to reassign basic stuff to suit my liveset - i forever lost interest in its advanced functions like motion sampler, lfo and arpeggiator.
cuz in my experience a liveset should be simple and stupid :roll:
i'm not a dj so never used the crossfader per se, i've been assigning it to a master lpf
my favorite was the ribbon thingie, assigned to the beat repeat - almost a kaoss pad awesomeness!

i sold the thing as soon as i bought the apc, but then again when the launchpad was announced i had a moment of regret selling the bitstream. could be a nice combo still

moreofmorris

Post by moreofmorris » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:34 am

Rabalder wrote:The Behringer BCF2000 has 8 fader and lots of buttons and knobs.. The faders are motorized and its cheap..
Had before. Broke on me pretty quickly. I'm not after motorized faders, as it isn't for studio - for live. I wanted access to lots of encoders above each track too, at least 3. I know you can do that, sort of with the BCF, but its not the same as just having them there above the tracks.

moreofmorris

Post by moreofmorris » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:36 am

4.33 wrote:yep.

cons:
it's a bitch to program, but once you get your head around it - it's quite flexible.
there is little space between knobs, and they are hard to turn.
fader caps were coming off - had to glue them down (except for that the build quality is ok)
buttons are too small and not all of them are reassignable (only 13, if i remember correctly)
three knobs on the right side (the arpeggiator) cannot be reassigned

pros:
touch-sensitive ribbon is ace
xyz joystic
metal casing
Cheers for the review... Hmm... sounds like the build quality is a bit whack.. There just doesn't seem to be much else that has the 8 track faders and plenty of encoders above them (for send/filter effects)... thats of good build quality and would stand up being thrown about abit ?

Post by 4.33 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:14 pm

littlejim84 wrote:
Cheers for the review... Hmm... sounds like the build quality is a bit whack.. There just doesn't seem to be much else that has the 8 track faders and plenty of encoders above them (for send/filter effects)... thats of good build quality and would stand up being thrown about abit ?
i'm aware of three more:

1) evolution uc-33e on the cheap side
2) vestax vcm-600 on the pricey side
3) that huge korg mixer (dont remember the name) with audiointerface, built-in kaosspad, alot of bling and a ridiculous price tag

machine+1

Post by machine+1 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:51 pm

I've had a bitstream 3x for almost 2 years and I've been successfully using it in mackie control mode with live. Works ok and is usb powered which is nice. You should be aware that the rotary controls above the faders are Pots and not Endless Encoders, and they are not included in the mackie mode automapping. I also have never really sunk my teeth into the programming of the thing-- something like the APC-40 seems more easily integrated.

moreofmorris

Post by moreofmorris » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:01 pm

4.33 wrote:
littlejim84 wrote:
i'm aware of three more:

1) evolution uc-33e on the cheap side
2) vestax vcm-600 on the pricey side
3) that huge korg mixer (dont remember the name) with audiointerface, built-in kaosspad, alot of bling and a ridiculous price tag
Nice, will check these out. Cheers bud.

necho

Post by necho » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:52 pm

BUY MY APC! ;-)

I reckon the uc-33e is your best bet.
_________
sigs suck.

moreofmorris

Post by moreofmorris » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:23 pm

necho wrote:BUY MY APC! ;-)

I reckon the uc-33e is your best bet.
Nah, you're alright Necho. You keep it.

(not that's not actually a nice device, just not what I have in mind)

8O

Post by 8O » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:45 pm

UC-33e is a classic - just remember the knobs are fixed range, not endless rotaries (unlike the Behringer). But the UC-33e's given me zero problems after loads of use and lots of transporting it. Programming it is ok-ish. Could be better, but could be a lot worse. Might be worth investigating...

moreofmorris

Post by moreofmorris » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:57 pm

8O wrote:UC-33e is a classic - just remember the knobs are fixed range, not endless rotaries (unlike the Behringer). But the UC-33e's given me zero problems after loads of use and lots of transporting it. Programming it is ok-ish. Could be better, but could be a lot worse. Might be worth investigating...
Thanks... I think you're right, it's definitely worth investigating. I made up my mind a while back that MIDI controllers in general should be cheap, good enough build, can take knocks and are light and portable. The launchpad fits the bill for this... So does my Oxygen and most probably the Evolution. I'll hopefully be taking all these bits and bobs around with me, and I don't really want expensive pieces of MIDI kit as they'll no doubt just can cider and fag ash all over them anyhow :)

Cheers for the advice people. Appreciated.