Launchpad or APC 20?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
blueprint

Launchpad or APC 20?

Post by blueprint » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:32 am

I was all set to buy the Launchpad by Novation this week but since I have the luxury of checking out the APC 20 at Namm today I have since been a bit frustrated with what to buy.

Both are priced at $200.

Both have lighted pads that indicate similar functions.

The only thing that twists my head is the fact that I get more features on the APC 20 BUT these are features I don't really need (faders, solo, mute, etc..). The launchpad seems more dedicated to what I would use it for and it also has software that I'm familiar with (Automap) so I'm leaning towards it.

My only use is to program my drums with clips, each clip containing a different edit. I also use the clips for other sounds ranging from pads to vocals but all of them are solely for production use, no djing whatsoever.

I'm going to play with the APC 20 tomorrow some more but if anyone has anything insightful to add to steer my decision, post it!

channelite

Re: Launchpad or APC 20?

Post by channelite » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:01 am

I've been eyeing the launch pad. It has a sleeker design and is buss powered. The APC20 looks a bit bulky in comparison.

Post by 4.33 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:35 am

well, i'm gonna throw some drywood ito fire beneath you
buttons and faders on teh apc are reassignable, which gives you instant control over fx, resulting in a more dynamic performance

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:46 pm

As a launchpad owner I was initially sad about not having waited for APC20 but after I saw the specs
I recovered. APC20 tries to be a 'little mackie' but without motorized faders you will experience
a lot of jumps if used live when you move from using a fader for volume or for pan for example.
Launchpad is more straight forward even if you do not have all controls in front of you but
a key press away.

- Cheers
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:10 pm

takeover mode is rubbish it's 2010 for god's sake!

Dr.Gonzo

Post by Dr.Gonzo » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:21 pm

ShelLuser wrote:From what I read and heard so far I'd definitely get the Launchpad over the APC20. The Launchpad is way more versatile, easier to operate (an arrow pointed right actually scrolls your workspace to the right) and offers more features (mixer control anyone?).

IMVHO the APC20 is nice as an extension to the APC40, but doesn't have what it takes as a stand alone controller.

But takeover mode rubbish? no way...
You cant compare the APC 20 with the Launchpad. The Launchpad can do a lot more as the APC 20. Go for the APC 40 or get the Pad ;)

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:00 pm

Takeover Mode? Is that some kind of wobble-plugin from Aprodite?

http://www.urbantakeover.co.uk/urban/urbantop.swf

:mrgreen:

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:28 pm

blueprint wrote:The only thing that twists my head is the fact that I get more features on the APC 20 BUT these are features I don't really need (faders, solo, mute, etc..).
Launchpad also does solo, mute, arm...etc. and can also work like faders but offers more than the APCs like jumping to discrete steps, which is something regular faders cannot do.
Also the Launchpad had dedicated buttons to reset values for each control in mixer mode (arm, vol, solo, mute ,pan send...etc.) while the APC40/20 doesn't have this.

mrsakitumi

Post by mrsakitumi » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:34 pm

silly title technicality:
wasn't the APC40 titled so,cos of the 8X5 grid?
I know the idea behind the APC20 name implies the smaller brother thing, but just a thought (even though it also has the 8x5 grid)
they should have chosen to keep more rotaries over the faders.
...and it's mr sakitumi (too late to change profile name)...damn
LIVE, DS lite, a tambourine, tape recorder.
http://www.soundcloud.com/mrsakitumi
http://www.facebook.com/mrsakitumi
http://www.youtube.com/mrsakitumi
http://www.twitter.com/mrsakitumi

aizo

Post by aizo » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:38 am

Apc 20 is garbage. LP all the way! The LP changed the way I write music. The only use I see for the 20 is to use with the 40 in the studio
ImageImage

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:01 am

ShelLuser wrote:
Pasha wrote:APC20 tries to be a 'little mackie' but without motorized faders you will experience a lot of jumps if used live when you move from using a fader for volume or for pan for example.
Actually that's not quite true.

The same applies to the APC40; they overcome this caveat with "takeover mode". This has 3 options; none, pickup or value scaling:

None is the situation which you describe; as soon as a fader gets another value assigned to it you can experience jumps.

Pickup is just that. Values do not change unless the fader meets the current position of the software fader. So should I suddenly have a track selected where my fader is somewhere at the bottom while my fader on screen is at the top and I want the sound down I'd first need to move the fader to the top in order to "pick up" the value, then I can slide down again.

Value scaling is what I mostly use; whenever you switch tracks the difference between the controller and the screen is being compensated. In the previous example I could simply move my slider down to lower the volume or up to increase it. Naturally with moving up the volume won't increase too much, just up until the point where the values match.

All in all you don't need to worry about jumps.

See: Preferences -> MIDI Sync -> Takeover mode.
Let me explain my point of of view.

When you use a non motorized slider for being Volume, Pan, Send at different times the following situation might occur:

Set your tracks at the following volumes:
60 120 40 50 120 100 65 90
Then switch to Pan
initially all are set to 65 witch is the middle central.
Then you want to hard pan left track #3 so you push the slider up.
When you come back to Volume you feel track #3 is too high and needs to be turned down.
Good Luck! Slider is at his maximum position and whatever mode you want to use
(which BTW I know very well) it won't be immediate and the position of the slider
won't reflect the current value. This is what I call a jump sorry for word misuse.
I do not perform live so when I edit volume pan send automation in arrangement view
I need to be precise. The latency (time it takes to whatever mode you choose to reflect the real value)
introduced will make my mixing less precise. I can't say in Live situation but this reason is the
main one for me for non getting Novation SL ML II, Novation Zero SL or the APC40 itself.
When mixing I've been used to my crappy BCF2000 in Mackie Mode. Nothing can emulate having a Motorized
Fader or separate controls (with feedback) for Volume Pan & Send. In a way Launchpad did it using
a less precise way (it goes in 1/8 increments) but better shaped IMHO for Session View usage which
I use for composing mainly.

my 2 cents.

- Best
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:03 am

djsynchro wrote:takeover mode is rubbish it's 2010 for god's sake!
Agree.
Mac Studio M1

blueprint

Post by blueprint » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:34 am

hey everyone, thanks for all the replies. I had a chance to speak to the Akai and Novation reps today. Surprisingly, the Akai rep were a bit more in-depth with their gear but then again, the one Ableton reps still recommended the Novation but agreed that both are very good, especially at the price-point.

I'l post their videos, but again, they aren't exactly giving us anything new.

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:50 pm

i think the APC20's strength is going to be when combined with the APC40. if you don't have the APC40 or don't plan on lugging both around, then i'd go with the launchpad.

divonic

Post by divonic » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:42 pm

McQ714 wrote:i think the APC20's strength is going to be when combined with the APC40. if you don't have the APC40 or don't plan on lugging both around, then i'd go with the launchpad.
I wonder if there is going to be a way to combine the "red box" of the APC40 with that if the APC20 so that there was just one box controlled by the APC; that would rock. in that case I might have consider the APC20; I'm not even close to being as anti APC20 as some people on this forum but since I have an APC40 I didn't see much of a use for a 20 but If it can be an expansion to the 40 and can be controlled by the 40 wow I might need to get one.