Is Abletons Business Model Broken?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Sage

Re: Is Abletons Business Model Broken?

Post by Sage » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:08 pm

Ableton have a consumer base that are passionate about the product, don't get the same with other major DAWs and people are buying into something they feel is unique and innovative.

That alone shows the business model isn't broken. As for stability, all DAWs aren't completely stable, Live 8 has been no less stable than any other I've used!

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:47 am

Yes. Although there seems to be more people of the opinion that Live isn't as unique or as innovative as it once was (stuff such as pattern matrix in Sonar 8.5 and Renoise 2.5 etc), and want new features to be on the creative side of things, rather than just throwing some extra synths and sound content into the program or requiring Max4Live as an expensive add on to maintain this creative reputation Ableton have.

Then there are a bunch of people frustrated that Live is lacking a lot of things traditional DAWS have and want better audio track comping, multichannel audio (i.e. 5.1 surround), scoring and things such as more file formats such as .omf and .mp3 export etc.

The user base doesn't seem quite as passionate about the product as they were at Live 6 when I first bought the program. I think management recognize this, hence Gerhard Behles 'Quality' statement. Here's hoping they can deliver more stability and bring that fervent support back to Live again soon and somehow find a balance in the DAW functionality vs creative live performance camps.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

ovorigin

Post by ovorigin » Mon May 10, 2010 9:47 am

saying that ableton is no more un stable than other daws is kinda missing the point as ableton is for 'live' music. who really cares if a daw crashes, you just reboot/curse it and get on with it.

ableton doesnt/shouldnt have that luxury, it needs to make the features it has rock solid with no exception or changed their name to 'ableton later'.

Making ableton more daw like at the expense of its live innovative 'real time' approach is a mistake IMO, I would have stuck with logic if id known how useless ableton is live. I bought it for the looper, I play in a band and have tried to include it during rehearsals and it simply IS NOT SOLID enough to make music live with apart from using it as an effects unit and to trigger pre recorded loops that any software can do.

If ableton release new features without fixing the ones they sold me first I will never give them another cent and THAT is a promise I will keep.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon May 10, 2010 3:36 pm

^ thats why the plans for Live 9 have been scrapped.

The new software will be called Ableton Rehearsal 2.0

Thank You.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon May 10, 2010 7:56 pm

leedsquietman wrote:Yes. Although there seems to be more people of the opinion that Live isn't as unique or as innovative as it once was (stuff such as pattern matrix in Sonar 8.5 and Renoise 2.5 etc), and want new features to be on the creative side of things, rather than just throwing some extra synths and sound content into the program or requiring Max4Live as an expensive add on to maintain this creative reputation Ableton have.

Then there are a bunch of people frustrated that Live is lacking a lot of things traditional DAWS have and want better audio track comping, multichannel audio (i.e. 5.1 surround), scoring and things such as more file formats such as .omf and .mp3 export etc.

The user base doesn't seem quite as passionate about the product as they were at Live 6 when I first bought the program. I think management recognize this, hence Gerhard Behles 'Quality' statement. Here's hoping they can deliver more stability and bring that fervent support back to Live again soon and somehow find a balance in the DAW functionality vs creative live performance camps.
very well put, i don't think it's broken at all... they just need to focus... to stay a bit unique and i think what i highlighted in bold is their main problem... the focus. it is usually a failure to try to dance on all marriages at the same time... ~ (not sure it makes sense in english, but it is a german saying... that makes a whole lot of sense!!!)
*** Image GAFM ***

evilaci

Post by evilaci » Mon May 10, 2010 8:50 pm

^

i have to remember this for the next time i have to work with native US/Oxford speakers....

8O :mrgreen:

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Mon May 10, 2010 9:32 pm

H20nly wrote:^ thats why the plans for Live 9 have been scrapped.

The new software will be called Ableton Rehearsal 2.0

Thank You.
:lol: :lol: lol :lol: :lol:

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon May 10, 2010 9:54 pm

H20nly wrote:The new software will be called Ableton Rehearsal 2.0
ouch. :lol:
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz