UC-33e - launching clips - why click twice?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Robert

UC-33e - launching clips - why click twice?

Post by Robert » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:32 pm

Hello - excuse this if it is a stupid question. I have just got my UC33e and Live 4 and have got everything to work - so am feeling pretty pleased with myself as I am new to this.

I have assigned the number keys to launch the clips, and sometimes the first time I click the key it launches the clip fine, but mostly I have to click it twice, which I am sure you understand messes up the mix a bit.

Anyone else have this problem? all ideas gratefully accepted!

Regards

Robert

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:59 am

you have to assign the buttons on the uc33 to note messages.
What you have now is a note-on when you press and then note-off the second time.
If you assign the buttons to notes it will go to Note-off when you release the button.

consult the uc33 manual if you do not know how to change the buttons.

cheers.

Robert

Post by Robert » Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:46 pm

Thanks Hoffman - I have checked the manual and found the section below - is this what you meant?

Evolution UC-33 Advanced User Guide
Assigning A Note To A Button
1. Press SELECT and press the “0” button. The display will show that you
have selected controller 34.
2. Press ASSIGN and enter '147' this is the MIDI CC
number that corresponds to Note on/off mode, as shown in
Appendix B.
3. Press DATA MSB twice and enter a value of '100'. This means
when you press the button, a Note on message will be sent
out with a velocity of 100.
4. Press DATA LSB twice, and enter a value of '000'. This
means when you release the button, a Note off message will
be sent out.
5. Press the PROGRAM button twice and enter '064'. This will
mean you are sending out MIDI note 64 or E4, each time you
press the button. The MIDI note numbers are given in
Appendix D.
This button mode has many uses. You can use this mode to trigger
samples, control lighting equipment, play keyboard notes and much more.
Note: When you press the button in note mode, the LCD display will briefly
show the note velocity.

If so - I fear I am doomed never to understand! There seems to be a huge learning curve - more like a cliff! in MIDI - at first it all makes sense and then it suddenly gets very difficult indeed.

I have also been looking at the Trigger button in Ableton itself as this seems to be vaguely related but I'm afraid I find it hard to follow the manual on that too!

Robert

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:11 pm

yup thats it.
if the manual is not clear for you i'm afraid i can't help you more.
You have the right section and this is excactly what you need to do.

Read the manual while messing with the device. You'll figure this baby out in no time.

cheers

Robert

a work-around for the double-clicking problem

Post by Robert » Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:11 pm

Thanks Hoffman2k - sheesh - I don't seem to have a MIDI-compatible brain! It gives me the same feeling I have about javascript - that I could sit in a room for a hundred years staring at the books and still not be able to make it work! I must say I have total respect for anyone who can get their head around it.

However, I have been messing around with the clip settings and have found that if the clip launch mode is set to 'Gate' then the controller button seems to switch the clip on and off - this seems to work well. It means that I can be confident that so long as the clip isn't playing, a click will start it in sync. It also means that if I decide that I have brought the clip in early I can stop it and re-start it with the same button!

I have only been using this for about 10 minutes but so far so good. I think I will set the preferences default to gate and see how I get on with a proper project.

Regards

Robert

Robert

hmmm - sadly it's just not that simple

Post by Robert » Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:32 pm

The problem with that is that using gate as the trigger means you can't use the mouse because it really does 'gate' - unlike the button, which toggles when gate is selected.

The compromise is to use toggle, which puts the mouse onto toggle and the button onto click twice for 'on' and twice for 'off'.

The exception to this rule are the 4 'tranport buttons' at the bottom of the UC-33e assignable pad. These work exactly like they should when assigned to trigger clips - they trigger when trigger is selected, gate when gate is selected, and toggle when toggle is selected. I wonder why these 4 buttons behave properly but buttons 1 - 9 don't; since they are all assignable? 4 is rather limiting ...

ah well. back to trying to learn MIDI I guess...

R,

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:47 pm

I would like to help you more, but you basicly answered your own question with posting that bit of the manual.

the manual is not a hard read. you may not understand what you are doing. but following those 5 steps will get you the results you want.
once you master those steps then you should start Changing the trigger - toggle - repeat....

good luck

Robert

Post by Robert » Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:02 pm

I will persevere Hoffman2k - I like to understand what I am doing so I am going to have to find out what msb and lsb mean! Doing it by the book doesn't seem to be enough for example ...

1. Press SELECT and press the “0” button. The display will show that you have selected controller 34.

... well when I press SELECT and press the "0" button, the display shows nothing but a "0" plus the flashing circle thingy, so this isn't really getting me off first base!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction anyway.
Regards

Robert

supster

Post by supster » Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:44 am

Robert wrote:
... well when I press SELECT and press the "0" button, the display shows nothing but a "0" plus the flashing circle thingy, so this isn't really getting me off first base!

Yeah, same here. Anybody know why this is?

Robert

information from evolution

Post by Robert » Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:55 am

Not sure if this helps - I e-mailed evolution asking them to explain the difference between what the handbook said and the screen and this is what they advise ....

Hi Robert,

You can assign the buttons to send note on/off messages (cc 147) or MIDI cc on/off messages (cc 146) by assigning the buttons to those cc numbers respectively. Just double click on the CONTROL ASSIGN button, then on the button you are assigning, then 147. Then to enter which note you want it to play, do the same but this time pressing PROGRAM in stead of CONTROL ASSIGN. You can also set the LSB to 0 and the MSB to 127 in the same way if they are not already set to 0 and 127. These are important for sending the note off message (LSB 0) when the button is released, and whatever velocity (or volume) of notes to play (MSB).

Kind regards,

So.... I tried that. I assume that CONTROL ASSIGN is the same as the ASSIGN button... but after double-clicking that, it doesn't let you enter 147.

I think I have found a reasonable workaround though ... basically, forget the buttons on the UC33, and go back to your computer keyboard. Change the names of the tracks or scenes so that the first letter is Q, W, E, R, T, Y, and so on. Then you can assign these keys to the clip trigger buttons, and you know which key to hit for which clip. Not elegant - but effective!

rictheobscene

Use Enigma

Post by rictheobscene » Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:29 pm

Hi:

It sounds like you guys are trying to fat-finger the programming. There is an alternative. If you have the UC-33e, you can download the free Enigma software from http://www.evolution.co.uk . Enigma provides a graphical interface for you to program your UC-33e.

If you have a standard UC-33, Enigma will not work. However, original UC-33 owners may purchase an upgrade to the UC-33e by contacting Evolution's top-notch support team at support@evolution.co.uk .
With Regards:

Ric (the) Obscene
http://www.ghettoanalogue.com

katha

Post by katha » Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:36 pm

Hey,

i just got it to work. It is actually very easy - the explanation of the guys at evolution were far too complicated.

Simply press the button you want to change, then press ASSIGN, in the display appears a number (with mine it was 148), now you tap 147.
And this is it.

The enigma by the way looks like a convenient piece of software - but I couldn't find any presets for Ableton Live. And whats worse regarding ou question, you can't change the Midi Channels with it. Hmpf!

Cheers, Katha

Edit: Sorry, I didn't mention you have to press CONTROL ASSIGN, not CHANNEL ASSIGN.
Last edited by katha on Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ableton Live 4, Acer Travelmate 800 Notebook, Centrino 1,4 GHz Prozessor, 512 MB Ram, Doepfer Pocket Dial Midi Controller, stripped down WinXP, Terratec Producer Phase 26 USB, fast (7200 rpm) internal hard drive (Hitachi).

rictheobscene

Post by rictheobscene » Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:53 pm

katha wrote:
The enigma by the way looks like a convenient piece of software - but I couldn't find any presets for Ableton Live. And whats worse regarding ou question, you can't change the Midi Channels with it. Hmpf!

Cheers, Katha
What MIDI Channels are you referring to, the global channel for the UC-33e or the individual control assigned to each object?
With Regards:

Ric (the) Obscene

katha

Post by katha » Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:59 pm

What MIDI Channels are you referring to, the global channel for the UC-33e or the individual control assigned to each object?
oops... err - I would think the individual channels, as I had to assign it individually to each of the buttons - but I don't know very much about midi... Does that answer your question?

Katha

ps. Aha, I am just discovering something: I don't use the buttons to start clips, but to enable /disable the 'loudspeakers' of the individual tracks. Like this i can now mute / unmute the bassdrum for example just by pessing the corresponding button. Of course I could just as well do that with the computer keyboard buttons F1 to F8. But before making the adjustments i described above, i had to press the evolution buttons twice as well - so that should help you too, if you want to use them for firing clips.
Ableton Live 4, Acer Travelmate 800 Notebook, Centrino 1,4 GHz Prozessor, 512 MB Ram, Doepfer Pocket Dial Midi Controller, stripped down WinXP, Terratec Producer Phase 26 USB, fast (7200 rpm) internal hard drive (Hitachi).

rictheobscene

Post by rictheobscene » Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:47 pm

OK, the Enigma software can edit both the global channel and the controller channel.

When you double click on the controller, the editor window appears. It shoud default to the control details tab. The 4th parameter down on the left hand column is the channel for the individual control. If you click on the Extra variables tab, you will see the global channel is the 2nd parameter on the left hand side.

Now, the factory default banks are installed with the read only attribute set. There are two ways to deal with this.

(1) Create a new user preset bank and work from that
(2) Goto C:\Program\files\M-Audio\Enigma and remove the read-only attribute from the Devices and Library folders, as well as every sub folder and file in those folders.
With Regards:

Ric (the) Obscene