classes for Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jspec1594

classes for Ableton

Post by jspec1594 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:46 am

Sorry if this was posted in the wrong place. Im new to the forums.

Does anyone know places that teach Ableton?

Thanks in Advance

tlennon

Re: classes for Ableton

Post by tlennon » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:49 am

There are a ton of tutorial vid available online at YouTube, Vimeo and Veoh. If you feel you need one on one lessons, where do you live?
Terrence Lennon

jspec1594

Post by jspec1594 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:55 am

tlennon wrote:There are a ton of tutorial vid available online at YouTube, Vimeo and Veoh. If you feel you need one on one lessons, where do you live?
NJ, close to NYC.

Its not that i feel i need lessons because i know i can figure it out. I just ordered intro and a mb pro today. Ive been using the demo and figured most stuff out. its pretty simple.

my parents want me to do something with all of this and possible work it into my summer. They also want me to colab with other kids but they dont understand that ableton is easier with just one person controlling it (or at least thats what i think).

I saw some classes in NYC but i dont know if they are any good

Atomikat

Post by Atomikat » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:03 pm

I'm in Colombia working as a musician and teaching Live but soon I'll be back to NJ, maybe we can meet and I'll show you some tips about the program. :wink:

By the way I live in Elizabeth,NJ.

Zeddy

Post by Zeddy » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:38 pm

You might want to try Berklee Music. They offer dedicated online Live courses. They look pretty good too.

jspec1594

Post by jspec1594 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:24 pm

Atomikat wrote:I'm in Colombia working as a musician and teaching Live but soon I'll be back to NJ, maybe we can meet and I'll show you some tips about the program. :wink:

By the way I live in Elizabeth,NJ.

i dont know how far that is but if you could do lessons that would be cool.

STRATEGY_510

Post by STRATEGY_510 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:30 am

jspec1594 wrote:
tlennon wrote:There are a ton of tutorial vid available online at YouTube, Vimeo and Veoh. If you feel you need one on one lessons, where do you live?
my parents want me to do something with all of this and possible work it into my summer. They also want me to colab with other kids but they dont understand that ableton is easier with just one person controlling it (or at least thats what i think).
Your parents ENCOURAGE you to do music?

That's pretty cool, I got a lot of: turn that shit down, waste of time, you'll never make enough to support yourself, why are you scratching up your records like that, when are you moving out, hey that's *my* turntable, etc.

STRATEGY

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:16 am

STRATEGY_510 wrote:
jspec1594 wrote:

That's pretty cool, I got a lot of: turn that shit down, waste of time, you'll never make enough to support yourself, why are you scratching up your records like that, when are you moving out, hey that's *my* turntable, etc.

STRATEGY
plus a million, my parents still don't want to fully accept (well a part of them) that i make music/dj and work in the audio business... and i do that now over 20years.

you are one lucky bugger. :D , use all the support you can get from them and be thankful.
*** Image GAFM ***

jspec1594

Post by jspec1594 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:13 am

STRATEGY_510 wrote:
jspec1594 wrote:

STRATEGY

i guess im lucky. they totally understand why i like ableton and stuff too. they just want me to focus with school first and then do music.

simpleton

Post by simpleton » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:57 am

Sorry, thought you said Glasses. That zooming utility didn't work for me either.
The Leveller wrote:Wow, a weird shaped dead coral with sh!t stuck to it. Proof indeed of supernatural abilities.

Dexes

Post by Dexes » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:15 am

Damn! 20 years ago my perents gave me the choice of taking piano or guitar lessons.
Todays kids get asked if they wanna play live or logic 8O

jspec1594

Post by jspec1594 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:24 pm

Dexes wrote:Damn! 20 years ago my perents gave me the choice of taking piano or guitar lessons.
Todays kids get asked if they wanna play live or logic 8O

hahahahah very true. i've been playing drums for about 6 years and now im gettin ableton and piano lessons

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:05 pm

I would recommend watching every video tutorial on the Ableton site, and going thru the lessons included with the software. As you follow along, experiment with each thing and listen to how it affects the sound. Make little tunes out of these jams so you can apply techniques as you learn them. Save sounds as you tweak knobs, when you save something you like, you're building your own library.

The Advanced Music Production with Ableton Live course from Berklee is excellent, but you would have to have already watched all the videos and done the lessons first, and used Live for a few months. If you want to start classes right away you could take the Introduction to Live beginners course at Berklee, but you could learn this stuff on your own and Berklee's quarter has already started anyway. The advanced class is badass, Loudon Sterns is the professor, college is all about the professors and he is very good. I took it last year and use stuff I learned from it everyday, not just about Live, but also sound design and music production in general.

Best of luck with your musical journey. If you love something it will fascinate you, this is the driver that makes experimentation=practice and learning=fun.

knife

Post by knife » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:39 am

Is that an online class? The advanced one in Berkely?