CutKiller Stereo Width Issues

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
aminoplacid

CutKiller Stereo Width Issues

Post by aminoplacid » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:15 pm

Anybody else using the CutKiller notice that when you compare audio playing through it while it is on vs off sounds like it cuts out some of the stereo width? It seems to make it more mono. Anyone found a way around this?
Computer: MacBook Pro (2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 SDRAM)
Peripherals: Allen & Heath ZED-10FX, Push 2, VoiceLive Touch 2, Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX2, Abstrakt Instruments Avalon

henke

Re: CutKiller Stereo Width Issues

Post by henke » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:46 pm

I never used CutKiller, but after looking at the patch, I'd say it is impossible that it changes the stereo width. Left and right channel are treated as two separate streams of audio, and all processing (which is just rhythmically changing the level in this case) is applied to both channels the same way.

But keep in mind that if you mute say a reverb-tail of a percussive sound, you'll most likely mute the most stereo part of that sound. It could be that this creates the illusion of reduced stereo width.

Robert

aminoplacid

Post by aminoplacid » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:12 am

Thanks for the reply, Robert. After I was able to investigate a bit further it seems like I have a bug in my patch. I don't think I ever modified it and I have always over written all my devices when updating Max For Live.

The bug I noticed was that the output from the gain object (live.gain~) was configured so that the output of channel 1 went to both the left and right output of the device. This would certainly explain why it sounded like the stereo was whacked. Modifying that so the channel 2 output of the live.gain~ object connects to the right channel input of the plugout~ object fixed the problem. I will submit it as a bug. Please post if someone else can confirm this.
Computer: MacBook Pro (2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 SDRAM)
Peripherals: Allen & Heath ZED-10FX, Push 2, VoiceLive Touch 2, Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX2, Abstrakt Instruments Avalon

pwwsun

Post by pwwsun » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:14 am

Oh man thank you so much guys.

beginners like me: bottom left of patch, gain > plugout has 1 connector going out to L and R. take the right connector on the Gain object at the bottom, and move it over a millimeter to the next slot which will be output channel 2 (right), then it will be a stereo cutkiller.