Anyone get an Axiom Pro working with Live8 on MAC OSX (10.6)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ramangill

Anyone get an Axiom Pro working with Live8 on MAC OSX (10.6)

Post by ramangill » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:14 pm

Hi Guys,

1. Version
2. Computer configuration and operating system
-MAC PRO, OSX, 10.6.2, Quad-Core 2.66, 3GB RAM
3. Audio hardware
-MOTU 828 MKii

Live 8 is able to see the Axiom Pro (AP), from the drop down list under preferences/devices but the HyperControl piece does not work nor am I able to set it. I have gone to the M-AUDIO site and downloaded all the updated drivers as recommended, but still no go. I have yet to find a site that talks about this issue. When you read the product description or watch the video demo's they make it seem so seamless and they even keep saying that..."Just plug it and HyperControl will map to your DAW...,"....yeah right. I have been struggling with this all weekend.

Has anyone got this to map correctly? I know I can map this myself, but that sort of defeats the purpose of HyperControl which is one of the main features. If someone has successfully got this to work, can someone please provide how they did this? Seems like a lot of people out there have ran into this issue.
MacPro(1,1)
MOTU 828 mk3, Axiom Pro49, Akai MPD32, LiquidMix 16
Live 8, NOMAD Factory Plugins Suite, FabFilter Plugin Suite, PSP Vintage Collection
NERVE, Sylenth1, NEXUS2, Arturia Analog Factory 2.5, Trillian

Zeddy

Re: Anyone get an Axiom Pro working with Live8 on MAC OSX (10.6)

Post by Zeddy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:35 pm

I hate to break to you, but the HyperControl on the Axiom Pro's are not compatible with Live. If you visit the Specifications page of the Axiom Pro's, they list the compatible DAWs:

- Pro Tools|HD 7.4 and above
- Pro Tools LE 7.4 and above
- Pro Tools M-Powered 7.4 and above
- Reason
- Cubase
- Logic

ramangill

Post by ramangill » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:42 pm

Zeddy wrote:I hate to break to you, but the HyperControl on the Axiom Pro's are not compatible with Live. If you visit the Specifications page of the Axiom Pro's, they list the compatible DAWs:

- Pro Tools|HD 7.4 and above
- Pro Tools LE 7.4 and above
- Pro Tools M-Powered 7.4 and above
- Reason
- Cubase
- Logic
Well at least I have REASON! According to there sites documentation:
http://www.m-audio.com/images/global/ma ... 4_EN01.pdf

On page 4 I think...

"...HyperControl Requirements
Ableton Live Software:
Please note that HyperControl requires Live version 7.0.15 or later. Earlier versions of Live do not support HyperControl
technology.
Axiom Pro Hardware:
HyperControl requires the presence of an Axiom Pro controller on your computer and this document assumes your Axiom Pro
keyboard has already been installed and connected to your system. To learn more about this installation procedure, please see the
Axiom Pro Quick Start Guide...."
MacPro(1,1)
Live 8, NOMAD Factory Plugins Suite, FabFilter Plugin Suite, PSP Vintage Collection

fiver

Post by fiver » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:35 pm

i've gotten it to work. dont know if its really my working style, but it works. i just noticed that this was from last week. have you gotten it to work yet?

ramangill

Post by ramangill » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:46 pm

fiver wrote:i've gotten it to work. dont know if its really my working style, but it works. i just noticed that this was from last week. have you gotten it to work yet?
Well I use Live and Reason...both at first didn't work. Realized after that the setting was set to Global and had to change it to the specific DAW. Which I did, by the way the docs don't show you how, I had to figure this out by changing the mode to "16" and (I think "13"), by manually hitting the load button and using the keypad on the pro and select the appropriate number.

Once Live was set, I started to move the knobs and sliders around...and it worked, however the mappings are horrible!!!!! For a product that boasts hypercontrol, it sure does not seem smart enough. On the main screen, the sliders work for the main output which is good...the knobs only half ass work.

Can you tell me how yours worked out? What you did?
MacPro(1,1)

fiver

Post by fiver » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:10 pm

it all seemed to work fine, but like i said, its not my normal way of working. its like any control surface, i guess, though. it takes time to get to know the hardware before you end up saving time in the long run. one thing i did find useful was the device control mapping for the synths(analog and operator). it was fun to have that all set up, so i could proceed directly to geeking out with the sound. i ended up tweaking more parameters than i normally would have.

i still have to spend some more time with the axiom pro to decide whether it's anything i'd actually buy. we have 2 here where i work (an audio recording college) and being that they have generic setups for multiple audio programs, the axiom pro is a useful tool to have around.

that's good that you got it working, though. i hope things go better the more you get to know it.