$119 and NI can make you sound like Alicia Keys

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SubFunk

Re: $119 and NI can make you sound like Alicia Keys

Post by SubFunk » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:02 pm

Emissary wrote:why in gods crotch would i want a piano that sounds like someone else's piano....? i just don't get it
ah come on, just read the amount of threads only on this little forum of how do i sound like blah, blah...

it is ridiculous often

those copycat kind of people are in way higher numbers around then the unique ones...
*** Image GAFM ***

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:06 pm

$119 and NI can make you sound like Alicia Keys
Bejeebus. I can make you sound like Alicia Keys and I'll do it for giggles.

Just stand against a wall with your legs spreadeagled and I'll kick you hard in the nuts with my size 14 steel-toe capped Doc Martens, and the job's a good 'un :)
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

dum

Post by dum » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:14 pm

sparkletone wrote:Pretty sure this is just another rebranded Scarbee product, one which was available from them for a little while before NI bought him out.

So, can't really call it "NI running out of ideas" if they're just starting to sell a 6 month old sampled piano (one that honestly sounds pretty good for the style from the samples on NI's site, and on gearslutz).
did you watch the video ?
she claims they sampled her specific piano, at her request, etc etc.
If they are just rebranding a sample set already in existence - she is a filthy low down liar.

anyway, it's a strange endorsement. Although why a professional pianist would want their piano meticulously sampled is no mystery.
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:16 pm

dum wrote: anyway, it's a strange endorsement. Although why a professional pianist would want their piano meticulously sampled is no mystery.
maybe she made that so she can play everywhere with "her piano" without needing to take the piano into the airplane? :)
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

dum

Post by dum » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:17 pm

just like i said. no mystery.

I'd love to see her chops on an lpk25

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:53 pm

Good God.

The fact that she plays the real piano and NOT the sampled version throughout the ENTIRE promo vid is the ultimate example of FAIL.

I hope this is a trend and that pretty soon we will see a Lady Gaga Bubble Piano sound pack as well.

ffs.

I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

Big V

Post by Big V » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:33 pm

Forget about Alicia! I can make you sound like John Cage and am going to charge you just $10!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HypmW4Yd7SY
Is that an offer!? I'll put a lollipop for free on top of the deal for the first 100 customers!
jazz is a woman's tongue in your mouth
cool, licking you slowly, revolving around
inside your cheeks.
letting you know who's come to visit.

sparkletone

Post by sparkletone » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:38 pm

dum wrote:
sparkletone wrote:Pretty sure this is just another rebranded Scarbee product, one which was available from them for a little while before NI bought him out.

So, can't really call it "NI running out of ideas" if they're just starting to sell a 6 month old sampled piano (one that honestly sounds pretty good for the style from the samples on NI's site, and on gearslutz).
did you watch the video ?
she claims they sampled her specific piano, at her request, etc etc.
If they are just rebranding a sample set already in existence - she is a filthy low down liar.
Yes, I did watch the video. But I also noted that the product is listed on the page at NI where they list all the Scarbee products and then there's also this gearslutz thread. Without even reading the thread, just note that the first post is from January of 2009 when the product was first announced. 6 months before NI bought out Scarbee.

But I think what's happening is you misunderstand what I mean by "rebranding." I am not saying they are selling some other sample set as being recorded from Alicia Keys' piano or whatever. I'm saying that the recording of the samples, etc. was done by Scarbee, not NI and it was done months before he got bought out. The sample set Scarbee created is only just now going on sale, and it's going on sale with NI branding, advertising, etc. That's all.

I'm not "defending" NI here or anything else, as I think there's nothing to defend them from, and no one's lying or doing anything shady here. The sequence of events is pretty clear from the gearslutz thread, and even if something shady were going on... Well. I think what matters in the end is the quality of the sampled piano, not the silly advertising or whether the idea of sampling a piano is "original."

This one sounds pretty good from the samples, though I don't know if it'll top Gravity, or the others.
anyway, it's a strange endorsement. Although why a professional pianist would want their piano meticulously sampled is no mystery.
That's pretty obvious to me. You are a fancy-pants touring artist. But you love a particular piano and don't want to subject it to wear and tear on the road... So you make the best digital facsimile possible and use that for touring, as well as writing/recording on the road. It's the same impulse expressed in this thing, or someone like Arcade Fire carefully sampling the pipe organ they used on their last album. (Those are just the first two recent examples that came to mind. I'm sure there are many, many, many more.)

You don't want to take all your squirrely, hard to replace gear out on the road with you (like your expensive synths), nor anything that's a real bitch to move around (like a pipe organ). But you still want those sounds in your performance, so... Samples!

As for selling it, well. You're well known for the sound of your piano or whatever. And selling the samples you just paid to have recorded seems like an easy money.

dum

Post by dum » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:43 pm

sparkletone wrote:I'm saying that the recording of the samples, etc. was done by Scarbee
Ahh, Gotcha.

sparkletone

Post by sparkletone » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:46 pm

dum wrote:
sparkletone wrote:I'm saying that the recording of the samples, etc. was done by Scarbee
Ahh, Gotcha.
Yeah, sorry if that wasn't clear!

EDIT: Also, I would totally go for a bubble piano kit if it made my laptop glow like that...

milfhuntr

Post by milfhuntr » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:21 pm

Next NI is doing Kenny G's saxophone.

sparkletone

Post by sparkletone » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:49 pm

milfhuntr wrote:Next NI is doing Kenny G's saxophone.
I want them to do Ian Anderson's flute.

Saxer

Post by Saxer » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:14 pm

scarbee has made really beautiful and playable sample instruments, especially rhodes and bass!
seems the sound of the alicia-piano is not so clean and dead like most grand piano samples (including the NI accoustic pianos). i like the sound i heared, its slighly detuned like a real recording.

the alicia-thing is a nice (looking) promo-gag. who cares... :wink: (do the samples smell like her...?)

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:21 pm

sparkletone wrote:

...followed immediately by Zamfir's pan flute expansion pack.

MartinOM28V

Post by MartinOM28V » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:37 pm

H20nly wrote:
sparkletone wrote:

...followed immediately by Zamfir's pan flute expansion pack.

Blue Oyster Cult cowbell.
iMac 3.4 GHz i7 12GB/Apogee Duet 2/Event ASP8/AKAI MPK61/Ableton Suite 8/Logic Pro 9/Waves Platinum/Komplete 7/Amplitube 3/Omnisphere/Stylus RMX/Trilian