I'm so not funky

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
davepermen

Re: I'm so not funky

Post by davepermen » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:30 pm

depends on if it's an acoustic guitar, or an electric one, i guess :) haven't seen much death-metal on an acoustic guitar, yet, at least..
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

aisling

Post by aisling » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:36 pm

beats me wrote:
I won't know for sure until later today, but I'm 98% sure the financial gods have finally smiled upon me enough to get that guitar I've been putting off for months and months and IMO it's one of those instruments that there just isn't a good digital substitute for in both sound and playing. The only mystery is if this will lead to more of a funk groove or if I will just return to my metal roots. :)
If it offers any hope, I too was once metal inflicted (not an ounce of regret).....and then found the "funk" (or at least the ability to play clean and not use distortion on every tone). Now I blend the two depending upon my mood, or the what the track is craving.
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:20 pm

So there is guitar based hope!

My plan is to first get an electric, the most expensive of the triad, and then get a bass and then acoustic. I wish I was a better keyboard player as well but you still don't get the grooving out feeling you get with stringed instruments IMO.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:23 pm

yeah, i started with guitar playing when i was 7. a piano is very unexpressive and unnatural for me :)

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:27 pm

beats me wrote:So there is guitar based hope!

My plan is to first get an electric, the most expensive of the triad, and then get a bass and then acoustic. I wish I was a better keyboard player as well but you still don't get the grooving out feeling you get with stringed instruments IMO.
If you truly on a qwest for funk, why not start with a bass?
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:37 pm

ChiDJ wrote:

If you truly on a qwest for funk, why not start with a bass?
Good question. And I have the answer! The music I write now is more about emotion and expression (to me) which you can get easily from keys but also from guitar. Bass, not so much. But I can also work on some groovy chords towards the funk on guitar. Bass would be the next step.

Also I have a little extra money and I want to have a guitar with some level of quality. I don't hold the same quality standards for bass and I could probably buy one without really saving and just eating a few more bowls of ramon for about a month.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:37 pm

you could get a bass/guitar combo :)

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:16 pm

Pitch Black wrote:
H20nly wrote:
Pitch Black wrote:I can't walk past a "Trade Aid" or hippie/ethnic type shop without checking to see if they have any interesting shakers or percussion toys. Keyboards just aren't physical enough. Computers are even worse!
Do you record any of those at all and use them on your tracks? If so, ever raw or always with effects?
All the time. I always record dry but I just love chaining up Beat Repeats and Autofilters to FSU. Hitting stuff gets me into a different zone.
Cool. I have some shakers, bongos and what not, always kinda scarred to use them dry because I think the audio will not sound so good given the recording conditions... but I think it may be better than "fake" which is what you get from a lot of samples/libraries. I think I'll give it try :mrgreen:

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:19 pm

Just don't forget to feel it when you play... rock back and forth... hold the notes... funk is a feeling.
ChiDJ wrote:If you truly on a qwest for funk, why not start with a bass?
ChiDJ is on to something...
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:34 pm

H20nly wrote:
ChiDJ wrote:If you truly on a qwest for funk, why not start with a bass?
beats me wrote:Good question. And I have the answer! The music I write now is more about emotion and expression (to me) which you can get easily from keys but also from guitar. Bass, not so much. But I can also work on some groovy chords towards the funk on guitar. Bass would be the next step.

Also I have a little extra money and I want to have a guitar with some level of quality. I don't hold the same quality standards for bass and I could probably buy one without really saving and just eating a few more bowls of ramon for about a month.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:37 pm

Dude, Pretty Lights is ridiculous, you grab that new EP?

With all the funkiness aside the production is just amazing.. He could make a shitty riff/sample/beat sound amazing with just the production he does alone.. and on top of that the samples are unique, and all the riff's are in just the right place, with just the right feeling and emotion behind them.

Definitely my favorite producer, and I can't wait until Summer Camp to rage that shit until we're kicked out on Monday 8)

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:25 am

H20nly wrote:
ChiDJ wrote:If you truly on a qwest for funk... start with a bass
Fixed.

sk8board

Post by sk8board » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:41 am

dum wrote:Music makes you clinically retarded: Psychedelic Trance

Music makes you a rampant metrosexual: House

Music makes you sleep with your sister: Country & Western

Music gives you the power to leap tall sky scrapers in a single bound: Acid Techo
AWESOME!

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:28 am

H20nly wrote:Cool. I have some shakers, bongos and what not, always kinda scarred to use them dry because I think the audio will not sound so good given the recording conditions... but I think it may be better than "fake" which is what you get from a lot of samples/libraries. I think I'll give it try :mrgreen:
Dude! Record 'em!! It gives life and it puts you in a different headspace. It almost doesn't matter what mic you use, a 57 or 58 will sound wikkid on most perc. Just try to get a recording with not too much "room" on it and you can go anywhere from there.

One of my fav tricks is to get into a groove, hit record, find the best bit, loop, quantize/fix audio if really necessary, then apply a chain of Beat Repeat > LFO-swept bandpass Autofilter > Beat Repeat... Hours of fun for the whole family ensue.

Self-pimpage: check out track 2 on my FaceTube player "Lali" thats just me and my basket of percussion toys thru the above sort of chain. (sounds even nicer at full res...)

http://www.myspace.com/paddyfree
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:45 pm

and even if the recording is not good enough to be used, you can still extract at least the groove out of it and use it for the funk of your rythm..

i might try that out, too. groovyy?? funkyy!! :)