LIVE use with Guitar

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
eisnein

LIVE use with Guitar

Post by eisnein » Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:00 pm

gonna post this its own separate thread as well--

i watched that video this morning expecting to see some super awesomeness that would totally blow my mind,......

i have been looping with a bass and hardware looping devices for some years now and was expecting to see how a guitarist could use and would WANT to use a software looping program like LIVE instead of hardware.

instead i found a guitarist jamming along with a some loops. He changed some of the drums and added some noises which was kind of cool. then we saw someone showing us how to sequence guitars and what could be done with that.

while many areas of electric music have been getting pushed to new extremes, such as computer and dj'ing, there are only a handfull of guitarists breaking boundaries. (this may draw some controversary from guitar fans)

where am i going with this?

why don't the Abletons pique our interests by showing us someone playing guitar and using Live as a looping device and show us the wonderful tricks that dj's and computer musicians are using the program for? maybe some stuttering guitars leads? playing with beats? creating beats out of guitar notes? using the awesome FX (both VST and AU as well!), sending midi info to external devices?

i for one, would be willing to both demonstrate this at NAMM and/or reshoot a video showcasing this usage of LIVE. albeit i am not clean cut or do not play with anyone well known, but i would give it my all.

I am sure there are a ton of us using FCB1010 and Live and i mean no disrespect to the Artists demo'ng Live's use for guitar players, they did a great job. However I think if the ABLETONS showed different uses, not necessarily off the wall "avant garde" style music (although that would be awesome), but how LIVE could be used FOR the guitar not just with it, for a LIVE situation would be very very very very cool.......

hopefully the ABLETons are listening and if they are---contact me or someone who is using LIVE in that manner!

thanks,

Elijah
[/i]

kovacs

Post by kovacs » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:30 pm

Agreed! I'd love to see a "Guitar Stuff You Can't Do In Any Other Virtual Host" movie. :D
2011 MacBook Pro 13" 10.9 // Live 9 Suite // Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette

eisnein

Post by eisnein » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:19 pm

or guitar stuff you cant do anywhere else at all!

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:14 am

Being a guitarist, I too am interested in this area. I found these movies highly uninspirational. What I expected from them was a sort of tutorial like this:

Play a lick, record and loop it, and play another one on top of it while Live keeps running. Imitate HiHat and BD sounds, record them as 1-bar loops too, and buid a track, fading these elements in and out of the arrangement. REAL Live application. Well I guess you gotta find out yourself...

form.aat

eisnein

Post by eisnein » Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:56 pm

yeah we gonna find out ourselves....good for sales though to showcase something rawesome though, no?

yeah creating bass drum and snare drum noises with the guitar and making the drums and playing with other drums, controlling the fx of live as though they were guitars (nother post up now called repeater/echoplex looping). pitch and tempo control?

this software is awesome.

ps guitar looping market gets a great deal of weird misdirected attention as long as i can remember.