Assigning Samples to Drum Racks Nested Chains via Pads

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nigel1

Assigning Samples to Drum Racks Nested Chains via Pads

Post by nigel1 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:44 pm

Ok ...trying to see if this is possible.

I'd love to assign ie. 64 samples by dragging them on to a drum racks's pad (i know..just drag em on) but here's the catch:
I'd love for Live to assign those samples to each simpler within another rack's nested chain. see image below:

If i drag one sample..never mind multiples it won't allow it...Live adds another chain within my nested rack/chain. See below:

This is not the behavior i'd like. I'd love Live to just place the sample within the nested rack/chain's simpler automatically. I tried holding down CMD and dragging but that's what gave me the above result.
It's such a major pain in the ass to go and drag every sample into each Simpler then go back and go to the next chain and do it again...and ..again..and again! A real big drag! I love how live automatically creates a chain containing simpler for each sample when dragging multiple samples onto the pads....any ideas how it can place the samples within my first example's chain without a. replacing the current chain and b. without creating a new chain in the one(s) i've created? Is this at all possible? And if not..why and can this be a next feature?

thanks

Dennis Ferrer
Objektivity Records
http://www.Objektivity.com

nigel1

Re: Assigning Samples to Drum Racks Nested Chains via Pads

Post by nigel1 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:43 am

bump!

nigel1

Post by nigel1 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:19 pm

anyone? any ideas?

theophilus

Post by theophilus » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:38 pm

is this just because you've got simpler subchains set up with the macro controls setup?
if that's all you need, I don't remember exactly how you do it, but if you go to the library,
there is a 'Defaults' directory. You can add presets there to change the default behavior
for that instrument. There is a 'Dropping Samples', 'On Drum Rack' directory, as well
as an 'Instruments', for which I'm sure you could add Simpler.

Then, all you have to do is delete all the old chains (which is like 3 keystrokes),
and drag the new ones, and when they are all set up, they will all have the new mappings.

Now, if each of the 64 chains is different, this method won't work. That case is specific enough
I'm not sure a shortcut is really reasonable. But if you just really want some extra programming
on your default simpler, this is what you want.

nigel1

Post by nigel1 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:17 pm

Yeah I've got simpler subchains with macro controls set up on each of the originating drum rack chain ie Pad 1 chain contains a drum rack macro control and a simpler and pitch instance. Each of the pads has this chain for individual macro control of freq, spread etc.

theophilus

Post by theophilus » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:00 am

as long as that preset chain is the same for every pad... then the default method should work.
it's in the manual BTW - page 216 in mine (live 8.1 english manual)...

nigel1

Post by nigel1 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:34 pm

nope doesn't work...as the default folder only will access the adv file (simpler preset) not the adg file whih contains the assigned macros with the pitch plug in and simpler. This sucks.

Great idea...but no cigar.

theophilus

Post by theophilus » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:54 pm

hmm, so maybe simpler preset won't work. but from the manual, p. 217 (english version):

To specify how Live behaves when dragging a sample to a Drum Rack or the Track View of
a MIDI track:
- Create an empty Simpler or Sampler
- Adjust the parameters as you like
- Drag the edited device to the "On Drum Rack" or "On Track View" folder, which can
be found at Library/Defaults/Dropping Samples
To adjust how Live behaves when slicing an audio le:
- Create an empty Drum Rack
- Add an empty Simpler or Sampler to the Drum Rack to create a single chain
- Add any additional MIDI or Audio Effects to this chain
- Adjust parameters in any of the devices
- Assign Macro Controls to any of the controls in the chain’s devices
- Drag the entire Drum Rack to the Library/Defaults/Slicing folder
You can create multiple slicing presets and choose between them in the Slicing Preset
chooser in the slicing dialog.

<<endquote>>

does that work for you?

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:44 pm

Questions, I did set up a Simpler and dragged it to On Drum Rack directory and it now loads up with those defaults (double checking now....) as I would like it to when used by itself on a MIDI track.

Should I go about tweaking a sampler and have it default to a longer sustain/release (main reason is for soundfonts to play out completely)? Would I set it up in a MIDI track and drag it into the Presets/Instruments/Sampler directory? I don't think I want to put it into On Drum Rack or would it go into On Track View?

I'd like to set up some instruments with default settings so they are set up the way I want when I bring in an empty one (simpler/sampler mainly but could see other possibilities)?

Thanks,

Mike
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

nigel1

Post by nigel1 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:08 pm

BUMP Again...
since i never got this resolved

anyone with ideas?

The deal is that the default preset folder On Dropping Samples / "Drum Rack"
will only allow an .adv simpler file . I'd like to nest that simpler file in an instrument rack with assigned macros so that when i drop
a sample unto a drum rack pad the default is to assign the sample to within the nested simpler inside the instrument rack.

Doing this and moving it into the defaults results in an .adg file that gives me an error stating that the default preset is not
in the correct format. The pics above should be self explanatory
can this be done?

Tech support anyone?

thanks
Dennis

theophilus

Post by theophilus » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:08 pm

(edit) never mind... should read the whole the thing again :)