Moog Guitar Raffel

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Homebelly

Moog Guitar Raffel

Post by Homebelly » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:39 am

Just a heads up for those that might be interested...
http://moogfoundation.org/shop/guitar-auction/
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

LoopStationZebra

Re: Moog Guitar Raffel

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:55 pm

If they pay me $50 I'll take a nice, hefty shit on the thing.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

aisling

Post by aisling » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:24 pm

a very interesting business approach......they still clear $3000 at the end if there is a winner.
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:40 pm

aisling wrote:a very interesting business approach......they still clear $3000 at the end if there is a winner.
The money is donated through the Bob Moog Foundation...
No-one is keeping any thing.
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:42 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:If they pay me $50 I'll take a nice, hefty shit on the thing.
With all due respect, if you have looked into what the moog guitar is, then fine.
Bit if not, you need to look more closely, and then maybe reassess your valuation based on where you might take a 50 dollar dump.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:10 pm

He's waiting for the Moog Stick. 8)
Unsound Designer

cosmosuave

Post by cosmosuave » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:52 pm

Heh I was expecting something more like this...

MD SPS-1 DARKENERGY JX-3P (PG200) Mbase01
http://soundcloud.com/cosmosuave
http://www.cosmosuave.com/

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:17 pm

stringtapper wrote:He's waiting for the Moog Stick. 8)

lol.

aisling

Post by aisling » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:21 pm

Homebelly wrote:
aisling wrote:a very interesting business approach......they still clear $3000 at the end if there is a winner.
The money is donated through the Bob Moog Foundation...
No-one is keeping any thing.
I misunderstood, thank you for the clarification.
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:52 pm

Homebelly wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:If they pay me $50 I'll take a nice, hefty shit on the thing.
With all due respect, if you have looked into what the moog guitar is, then fine.
Bit if not, you need to look more closely, and then maybe reassess your valuation based on where you might take a 50 dollar dump.

Hah! Not only have I looked into it, I played one in NYC @ Ludlow last year. When it was first announced I was excited as hell. A lot of folks were geeked. I thought for sure that this would be a full featured MIDI instrument, and that Moog was going to take MIDI guitar to a new level.

Eh. Wrong.

Is it cool? Sure. Who doesn't want infinite fucking sustain. It's Torn and Fripp's ultimate wet dream. The filter sounds good. Pickup selection is great. Action is very low. But it's about $2000 too much. There's nothing about the instrument that screams I'M WORTH $3200+ so buy me NOW. Sorry. The whole experience just left me pissed off, actually. :lol:

If it had full MIDI - where you could do amazing things by syncing the filter, sustain, etc to an external hard/soft synth - then perhaps we'd be talking about a guitar that matches it's pricetag. Maybe. Frankly, there's really nothing that it can do that I basically couldn't already achieve with a Roland VG-99. Bit trickier, and not as integrated of course, but......but.......

*shrug*

Frankly, guitar and bass prices for the last 5 years have simply been SHIT. Way too high. ffs. The new MusicMan basses and guitars for instance. Jesus. Nice instruments, but waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overpriced. The Moog Guitar is no different. Seriously, the Moog should be selling for $1500 out the door. Not a penny more.

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:15 pm

There is a MIDI version out now.
The one in the raffel is serial number 004.
It is also the Paul V model and has lots of expencive wood all in it.
Moog also has a cheaper version that is in about the same ball park as any other custome built guitar and even some of the more expencive production guitars from PRS/Fender/Gibson/Suhr and so on..

My thing about it is being able to see it go beyond the limitations of a "Traditional" guitar, but with out it becoming some thing other than a guitar.
I'm not sure many guitarists quite got that concept, most wanted to be able to play Jan Hammer licks with out learning to play a piano.
Thats not what this is..
Its more about a step forwared in pick up design than any thing else really..
I don't see it being related to moog synths at all..
More alined with the moog theremin...

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:55 am

$4100 for that fixed bridge MIDI model.

Fuck me.

I could buy nearly 2 more Sticks for that price. With MIDI. And those actually ARE innovative. :P

Honestly, I just don't see this instrument as revolutionary in the least, but in the various YouTube vids you'd think that they've invented fire, ffs. The guy who let me demo this thing was like "This is going to change your life." :lol:

Listen, I'm shitting on your raffle post. It's a good cause. Cool.

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:45 am

I do think the price is high..
When this thing was announced way back when and they started puting pictures up on the webz, i wrote them and asked a whole buch of questions.
When it got released and i saw the intitial price for the Paul V model i almost took a dump as well.
However, i do this as being a whole lot more than most of the you tube videos make it out to be. Most of those vids seem to have been shot at some namm or other where the instrument is being played by some one that has only had about 10 minutes with it.
I'm not watching what they are playing, or even listening to it..
I'm sitting there thinking.. "iF i run this through such and such plug or device,, i'm gonna get these type of tones,, 8O 8O 8) "
The whole idea of how the pickups work is really very clever, the MOOG filter is kind of an added extra.

The thing that stops my hard on exploding into a torrent of white joy is always the price, even the "Cheap one". If they dropped the price $1500 i would get one off the shelf. When i first saw the price i imediatly wrote Moog and asked if they where serious.... i told them that in my opinion if they dropped the price 1500 or 2000 they might sell a few more, and that maybe one would fall into the hands of some basment nut case that might be able to show it off to its full potential.
i cirtainly can't afford the current price. :cry:

Having said that..
$50 for a one in 200 chance of getting one is too good to pass up.

Sorry about the spelling..
spell check just checked out.