Depressed by working too much

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
ethios4

Re: Depressed by working too much

Post by ethios4 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:19 pm

Good luck Pasha.

I don't work as much as you, but I have a bad habit of not being able to say NO to the requests of others. I had gotten myself into a position of having very little time for anything besides work and helping other people out with learning how to record, learning how to perform live, producing material, etc. It's great being able to help people, but my own interests were suffering tremendously. I had to begin the difficult task of standing up for my own interests, even if means saying NO to helping my friends. I have now gotten it back to the position of having a good amount of time each week to work on my own things....music, working on our house, spending quality time hanging out with friends and family, and even a bit of pointless video gaming. I can say I feel much happier now. Sometimes radical action is necessary, but other times it works well to set your intentions on your goal, and gently steer the ship in that direction. You will get there soon enough.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:19 pm

ethios4 wrote:Good luck Pasha.

I don't work as much as you, but I have a bad habit of not being able to say NO to the requests of others. I had gotten myself into a position of having very little time for anything besides work and helping other people out with learning how to record, learning how to perform live, producing material, etc. It's great being able to help people, but my own interests were suffering tremendously. I had to begin the difficult task of standing up for my own interests, even if means saying NO to helping my friends. I have now gotten it back to the position of having a good amount of time each week to work on my own things....music, working on our house, spending quality time hanging out with friends and family, and even a bit of pointless video gaming. I can say I feel much happier now. Sometimes radical action is necessary, but other times it works well to set your intentions on your goal, and gently steer the ship in that direction. You will get there soon enough.
I like the gently steer the ship analogy.
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:23 pm

nebulae wrote:I don't think I can work for a company, whether it's big or small again. Perhaps a startup, but I just can't handle all the egos, politics, and nonsense that comes with working in a corporate environment.
My company was acquired by a big one. I miss when we were all 10 people and the world outside.
I'm romantic but it felt like having the same objective was keeping us together.
So I completely understand your point.
... Hey... it's Sunday I had a walk in the countryside... I'm back home and writing on the forum...
No work today. Steer the ship, little by little.
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:47 pm

well, my friend, I often share this little phrase with many of my friends who go through difficult decisions...it's among my favorites:
"You overestimate what you can do in a year, but you underestimate what you can do in five."

Little by little, you can move a mountain.

dum

Post by dum » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:32 pm

little by little, you can pick the peanuts outta my shit.
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:41 pm

dum wrote:little by little, you can pick the peanuts outta my shit.
Dude, we already discussed the excreted foods from another animal being a delicacy on another thread. That was so last week.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:11 pm

I just watched Capitalism: A Love Story this weekend and fuck man is this country going down the shitter and has been for quite some time. Even if you think Michael Moore is a loon it still points out a lot of indisputable facts that aren't conspiracy theories. Even before this movie I already believed there are certain things I'm not going to be able to obtain in this country based on the current system but it's a lot harsher seeing the straight facts as to why thrown in your face. Didn't help I also watched Maxed Out, a documentary on credit cards, banks' predatory behavior, and complete lack of accountability.

The problem is that I don't know of any other country that has a better system, but possibly the better system is creating a "don't expect much" mentality with their people. If the media isn't constantly blasting you with imagery of the well-to-do and the illusion that, that is just around the corner for you then you might be able to appreciate what you have a little more and be content within that reality.