Just had a demo of Cockos - Reaper

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
IP

Just had a demo of Cockos - Reaper

Post by IP » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:34 pm

OMG - the development is going super super fast!!

Anyone using it?

well i need to spend much more time on it but the first impressions are excellent!!

-64bit version available
-The app is less than 5 mb (how is that possible?)
-Portable (this is crazy)
-60 dollars to buy (crazy x1000)
-Super fast updates (i saw the update-log and couldnt believe it. Does the developers sleep/eat at all?)
-excellent dev-user forum support

Cant talk about stability yet (currently i fail to make it crash)

+
First time i saw how fast system i have
The program opens in less than a second (no bullshit)

On the downside
- it dont have any content available (samples and shit)
- Something wrong with the native plugins :/ no gui and dont know about quality

Personally i dont care for those 2.
If someone use external vst's and have his own sample collection i think this program is best option.
Or even better live intro rewired to reaper???

Till now the feature award goes tooooo

Save/undo history handling

-You can undo after save
-you have a tab with all the history entries and you jump anywhere you want
-You can set how many undo steps you want
-You have your undo history available EVEN IF YOU RE-OPEN A PROJECT!

If there is any longtime reaper user im very interesting to listen his opinion :D

dancerchris

Re: Just had a demo of Cockos - Reaper

Post by dancerchris » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:17 pm

I've had a Reaper liscence since the late 1.x period. It is a good DAW. So is Live. Just how do you want to work? I like Reapers mixing setup. I still use live for almost everything, because it's routing is more intuitive. Reaper is a well programmed DAW with a minimalist approach. Live has a library and lots of VSTi's that are loaded whether you purchase them or not, (so that you can run them in 'demo' mode.). Then of course Reaper has nothing like Session mode. Reaper does have neat things like multiple takes. that Live doesn't quite handle as nicely.

Anyway, I have abandoned Reaper since the update to 3.0 and have focused on Live. Don't need both, since I am just a hobbyist.
Live 8.4.2 / Win 8 Pro 64 bit / Core 2 Quad 2.66 GHZ / 8 Gb ram
Presonus Firepod / Axiom 49 / PadKontrol
Various guitars, keyboards, sax and friends

IP

Post by IP » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:28 pm

Im happy with live ... dont want to replace it or something!

just im impressed with reaper about how fast the project is growing

I had a demo once again (when it was free) but nothing to do with what it is now !

If they continue the development like that, in 3-4 years they may become the industry standard lol (i mean it)

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:09 pm

IP wrote:OMG - the development is going super super fast!!
has it ever been otherwise?!
If there is any longtime reaper user im very interesting to listen his opinion :D
i first tried it when it was still free and bought a license when they went commercial

IMO, it's great for recording and mixing. it's very good on handling multicore systems (which Live is not). I can set up the same mix in both DAWs and Reaper's CPU use is always much lower (duo core here). Reaper is more stable versus Live 7. the rare Reaper crashes I get are always due to plugins.

but Reaper is not so good for sequencing and composing, that's why I use Live, there's nothing like the session view, I love it! I prefer Live's plugin implementation...racks and all that are awesome and much better for creative purposes and more intuitive. and you cannot improvise an arrangement in Reaper like you can in Live. Live is a very creative tool

a great feature in Reaper is Rearoute (like rewire, but better). you can connect Reaper and Live perfectly and use the full functionality of both with low latency

nylarch

Post by nylarch » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:17 pm

It might just show up in commercial studios for mixing when guys use all UAD or Waves for plugs. I was noticing this in the rescue mix column in Sound on sound - where they have a pro put a proper mix on someone's track - that oftern they're using Reaper with a full suite of 3rd party high quality plugs. Could be a nice addition to Live in that way.

I'm currently trying to use Logic for this - writing most of my track in Live then rewiring 6-8 channels of Live into Logic so I can use the great plugs (things I like the most are the stereo imaging options and the verbs) and a few EXS instruments as well. Logic crashes a lot in rewire (8.02 Logic and 7.0.18 Live) with this setup. Very frustrating.
MacBook Pro; Live 8 Suite, Reaktor; '77 Fender Jazz Bass; Apogee One;

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:11 pm

I tried it on my Macbook a while back but it was seriously unstable and crashed every five minutes. Back to Live I went...!
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

dredd i knight

Post by dredd i knight » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm

I've only had a quick try with it; it does seem like a really good, stable program to me.
I know that a lot of sonar users have taken up the Reaper banner in the last couple of years too, which makes sense since it is still a linear sequencer.

@ Nylarch why dont you print off stems of your ableton tracks and import them into logic: it would keep things simpler in IMO.... rewire is alright, but pretty shakey and limiting.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:20 pm

If the midi was as good as Live, and there was a groove engine, then it would be a viable linear alternative for sure.

nylarch

Post by nylarch » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:40 pm

@ Nylarch why dont you print off stems of your ableton tracks and import them into logic: it would keep things simpler in IMO.... rewire is alright, but pretty shakey and limiting.
yeah I do that too but in some cases I want to tweak Live in realtime while doing other things in Logic.

I think I might have found the problem too - I didn't realize you have to update rewire (downloadable from the prop's website) and I haven't done that in awhile - think the flakiness might well go away once I do that.....
MacBook Pro; Live 8 Suite, Reaktor; '77 Fender Jazz Bass; Apogee One;

dredd i knight

Post by dredd i knight » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:30 pm

yeah well lives tweak-ability is one of its main assets so i can understand that.
i dint know bout updating rewire either so thanks for that :)

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:42 pm

I just started demoing Reaper about a week ago because I always see people talking about it in forums and I agree that I like the way it handles and the price is not to bad either.

I've also been playing with Samplitude 11 and I'll be honest that this programs is where it's at but it is also pretty exspensive.

I just wish I could rewire ableton into one of these programs and still use the controllers with live.

I dream of live 8 rewired in a host (REaper, Samplitude, Pro tools 8) triggering clips and effects apc 40 and launchpad while scratching stuff in traktor pro....I'd buy max for live if I could pull that off
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:00 pm

The reason Reaper is 5MB is because it does not come with any sound content. No huge stack of sampled sounds and clips.

60 dollars is for the non-commercial license. If you plan on selling your work (more than a dozen copies to family and friends etc) you are supposed to pay for a commercial license at $250.

Reaper has LOTS of plugins, some of which are actually quite good, including a convolution modelled reverb (you need to provide the Impulses) and reasonable compressor. The plugins are however, quite plain with no fancy GUIS, which puts people off and belie the quality of some of those plugins.

In many ways it's the ultimate DAW, but only if you are going to spend many, many hours customizing it to your workflow - as an earlier poster said, Mike Senior of Mix Rescue uses the DAW as his primary DAW now in preference to Cubase and Logic, but stresses that this is after he heavily customized it his way. It's routing possibilities are amazing, but complex to learn.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug09/a ... eaper3.htm

I personally prefer Cubase and Logic, but admit it's a great program which is rapidly progressing. It's MIDI is rapidly becoming usable and not that far behind other trad DAWS. I use Reaper for mobile recording so I don't lose the Cubase dongle.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:01 pm

^ I already have issues running one prog inside another (Max inside Live). You're talking about running Live on top of Reaper, with Max inside it as well? Wow, brave soul!

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:23 pm

I've had a Reaper license for a while. On my pc it is my preferred program to mix in. Very stable for me and without a doubt the most efficient cpu wise. The routing options are good. I can throw a plug like Consequence in there and route each midi channel to a different track, which is nice since I can only accomplish this in other hosts by using Bidule.

However, for me, the downside of Reaper is actually the feature it touts the most. Tool-less interface. It's just not my cup-o-tea. But truth be told, if you don't mind customizing things (which can take a bit of learning) it is a very decent host at a very reasonable price.

stutter

Post by stutter » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:29 pm

the compressor is excellent, and available (with several other plugs) for use in other hosts, for free. Stillwell/Schwa also produce some fantastic plugs, which have a non-commercial & Reaper only cheap licencing option.

I really like their development model, focusing on core DAW features/functionality instead of extra sample content, plug-ins and so on. And it's incredibly customisable. I just still prefer using Cubase and Live. One day though... not at all keen on supporting Steinberg over their competitors given their frequently dismal attitude towards their users.

edit: 480 posts... time to leave the forum for some reverb fun