Sugar Bytes.. do I get Thesys or Consequence?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
lolalola

Sugar Bytes.. do I get Thesys or Consequence?

Post by lolalola » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:47 pm

I'm basically looking for a sequencer/arpeggiator for mac. Noew to all this, but these two seem kinda similar.
So which is best...? Only one way to find out........ !

glitchrock-buddha

Re: Sugar Bytes.. do I get Thesys or Consequence?

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:15 pm

Really depends how you like to work. When you say you want a sequencer/arpeggiator, which one would you prefer, because Thesys is a sequencer, mono style, with some cool performance tricks, and Consequence is an arpeggiator. They are pretty different.

If you like to play chords on the keyboard and have those chords broken down into successive notes, you may want Consequence. If you'd rather just draw in the notes and use the keyboard for triggering pattern changes and sequence mangling like repeats, then Thesys may be a better fit. Try the demos.
Professional Shark Jumper.

RajahP

Post by RajahP » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:06 pm

Get numerology and thesys and consequence. .. consequence is on sale.
But definitely get numerology since you are on a mac...
Thesys performance feature is unique.
There are demos for them all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn7gxL2OgqE

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:51 pm

RajahP wrote:Get numerology and thesys and consequence. .. consequence is on sale.
But definitely get numerology since you are on a mac...
Thesys performance feature is unique.
There are demos for them all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn7gxL2OgqE

Who makes numerology?

RajahP

Post by RajahP » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:47 pm

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:04 pm

What do you make of Thesys and Consequence, are they very different from each other? You think I can justify getting BOTH?

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:43 pm

lolalola wrote:What do you make of Thesys and Consequence, are they very different from each other? You think I can justify getting BOTH?
I have both and yes, they are different. This is really one of those times that you need to try the demo for yourself. Don't forget to play with all the buttons. All of them. Especially the patterns in the parameters section. Change up the note lengths and play with the random settings. And most of all, drive other synths with it. The built in synth is not to my liking, ymmv.

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:27 am

UncleAge wrote:
lolalola wrote:What do you make of Thesys and Consequence, are they very different from each other? You think I can justify getting BOTH?
I have both and yes, they are different. This is really one of those times that you need to try the demo for yourself. Don't forget to play with all the buttons. All of them. Especially the patterns in the parameters section. Change up the note lengths and play with the random settings. And most of all, drive other synths with it. The built in synth is not to my liking, ymmv.

Does Thesys sequence other vst's, or just have its own sounds? Like, can I load up a synth sound in Operator and have Thesys sequence that?

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:05 am

lolalola wrote:
UncleAge wrote:

Does Thesys sequence other vst's, or just have its own sounds? Like, can I load up a synth sound in Operator and have Thesys sequence that?
Yes. And what I meant to say above was to make sure you play with the modulation section. I think its definitely one of the strong points in Thesys.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:08 am

Both Thesys and Consequence can sequence other instruments like Operator, but they need another track because they are instruments themselves (they don't load as midi effects). Also, they must be VSTs (not AUs) to send midi to other tracks.
Professional Shark Jumper.

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:09 am

Ok - I've run into an issue with Thesys, I just bought it... hope you can help? (I emailed SugarBytes, but they don't seem familiar with Live) ..
I have loaded up an instrument in Live Analog, a synth sound. Then I click on Thesys, but that over-rides the instrument - ie, I can't run the two together - where am I going wrong? The manual doesn't seem to clarify this.

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:57 am

Follow these steps:

1. Put Thesys on a midi track
2. Put Analog on a different midi track
3. On Analog's track, change the "Midi From" drop down-box to "Thesys"
4. In the drop-down box below it select Thesys again.

Now you have the midi out from Thesys feeding the track with Analog. Now, if you hit play you should have sound coming from both tracks. You can de-select the sound on the Thesys track in Live by clicking the number in the mixer of you can turn off the audio output from Thesys in the plugins gui. This will allow you to hear just Analog.

Have at it!

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:58 am

If you still have problems after following those steps let me know, I'll make you a quick video of the process.

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:33 pm

UncleAge wrote:If you still have problems after following those steps let me know, I'll make you a quick video of the process.

That's genius - leave this with me (not at Live until later this evening) - thanks so much!

chilleddreams

Post by chilleddreams » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:20 pm

Step 5: Set Monitor to "In" or arm the synth track for record.
Mac mini 2018 i5 3 GHZ, 8 GB RAM, Sonnet eGPU
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Live 10 Suite, Push 2,
Maschine Studio, Electribe EMX/ESX, Pulse
UAD Satellite Duo