Windows 7 64 bit ? anyone recommend this ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rsaulo

Re: Windows 7 64 bit ? anyone recommend this ?

Post by rsaulo » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:23 pm

Buy a mac....

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Just kidding...

Test your drivers before and if all works OK go to Windows7, but stay away from VISTA!!!!

[]´s

leighbeynon

Post by leighbeynon » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:02 pm

ok cool, so does anyone know if any vsts dont work in windows 7 with ableton ?

im using a very old version of hypersonic, its not amazing just that it has a wide selection of sounds and some of my older tracks have sounds from this vst,

just want to double check !
LPB

paradiddle

Post by paradiddle » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:39 pm

The only one I know is slim slow slider sidechain compressor. It's not just in Ableton but it doesn't work in other hosts as well. If you set ableton for compatibility with service pack 2 or 3 then it will work but it seems to use more cpu. That's why I tried the jbridge wrapper and it works. I tried lots of older stuff and they worked good in win7 64 bit. It's still of a guess what's gonna work or not.

luzil

Post by luzil » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:53 pm

can someone explain/confirm the mentioned facts here in this thread:

win xp 32 bit max 3.2 GB RAM
win 7 32 bit max 3.8 GB RAM
LIVE 32 bit max 4 GB RAM

Im thinking about upgrading to Win 7 64 bit from 7 32 bit, currently have 3 GB RAM, wanted to upgrade to 6 GB RAM cause i thought all 6 GB would be accessible for VST by on Win 7 64 bit. But LIVE will max use 4 of this 6 GB RAM, is this correct? Then i will only upgrade to 4 GB RAM.

On wikipedia the physical memory limit for bot xp and 7 32 bit is declared as 4 GB?! Im confused 8O

carrieres

Post by carrieres » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:59 pm

luzil wrote:can someone explain/confirm the mentioned facts here in this thread:

win xp 32 bit max 3.2 GB RAM
win 7 32 bit max 3.8 GB RAM
LIVE 32 bit max 4 GB RAM

Im thinking about upgrading to Win 7 64 bit from 7 32 bit, currently have 3 GB RAM, wanted to upgrade to 6 GB RAM cause i thought all 6 GB would be accessible for VST by on Win 7 64 bit. But LIVE will max use 4 of this 6 GB RAM, is this correct? Then i will only upgrade to 4 GB RAM.

On wikipedia the physical memory limit for bot xp and 7 32 bit is declared as 4 GB?! Im confused 8O
yes it's correct !
wikipedia is right : 4 GB for 32 bit system
an article here :
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov10/a ... 64-bit.htm
win 32 bit max 1.5 GB or 2.7 GB RAM with 3GB Switch
win 64 bit max 3.7 GB RAM because live is a 32 bit host
ableton is still a 32 bit host
the advantage of having more than 4 GB on a 64 bit OS with a 32 bit host is that you have some free memory to run others applications and the OS
Yamaha CS-30, Roland SH-1 and MKS70, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, Yamaha FS1R, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation Remote 37SL, Alesis M1Active 520, Novation Launchpad PRO
Intel i7-7700HQ, Windows 10, Ableton Live 10 Suite
http://soundcloud.com/ccarrieres

luzil

Post by luzil » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:39 pm

thx for confirmation

i read now it depends mostly on graphic card (on board RAM or own VRAM) how big the accessible RAM is.

Does it makes sense anyway to use something like RAMDISK for the > 4GB extra RAM and then put the LIVE Cache folder on it instead on HDD?

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:12 am

Ive done some comparative tests between XP32 bit and Win 7 64 bit running Live 8.1.something on identical hardware (including several audio interfaces) and same driver version where possible for all internal and atttached hardware.

End result - no easily measurable difference when your machine is not stressed, however if you start pushing your CPU use to the max, then win xp will probbaly let you puush it way harder before the onset of glitching etc - due to MUCH lower latency hardware drivers services in the XP relative to Win7.

Possibly the only benefit might be some marginal amount of extra ram available in a 4GB machine, but i wouldnt say enough to justify an OS and reinstall upheaval, in which case if your botttle neck is memory, then win7 may give marginally better performance (due to less page i/o)

Other than the stress load scenario above, in general you will not be worse off.

Basic OS functions do seem to be marginally faster on Win7 64 than XP 32 - disc i/o, screen etc - perhaps latency got sacrified to allow this? You may simply find your prefer the new OS as well and thats a good enough reason to switch.

Caveat - the PC Im using is a 4Ghz/6Gb very fast monster, so I have no idea if your would get the same result on a machine slow enough for other factors to impact audio performance.
Nothing to see here - move along!

luzil

Post by luzil » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:11 pm

@Khazul

afaik the multicore support with Win 7 is superiour to XP as RAM managment, so i doubt ur result a little bit besides u made them on a single core CPU. But this i really hard to complare for private users. More and more consumer PC/Notebook are delivered with 64 bit, so driver will get probably much better than years ago. I think i will at least try a change with a dual boot.

I often want to run a 2nd instance window of LIVE and then memory lacks with 4GB accessible.

thx for all tips

theophilus

Post by theophilus » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:14 pm

if you are going to win7 64 bit - BE CAREFUL. And see if you can get someone who already has your machine with win7/64 on it to run the DPC latency checker. I have a work laptop with Live on it (more powerful by far than anything I have at home) and we all got recently upgraded to win7/64. In most ways it's very nice BUT the DPC latencies jump around on it a LOT. (We also got upgraded with SSDs, so could be related to that, not sure). Anyways I get audio dropouts now, and they're not related to the soundcard at all, it's some driver that when it runs causes extra latency (DPC latency checker reports latencies of 2000 uS and up.. have once seen 30000uS = 30mS delay). So just listening to ITunes I get clicks and pops sometimes. That never happened on WinXP on this same machine.

That said, everything seems to run fine and I can go for reasonably long periods without dropouts. But I wouldn't even think about using this thing live as it is now.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:07 pm

luzil wrote:@Khazul

afaik the multicore support with Win 7 is superiour to XP as RAM managment, so i doubt ur result a little bit besides u made them on a single core CPU. But this i really hard to complare for private users. More and more consumer PC/Notebook are delivered with 64 bit, so driver will get probably much better than years ago. I think i will at least try a change with a dual boot.

I often want to run a 2nd instance window of LIVE and then memory lacks with 4GB accessible.

thx for all tips
It was an i7 (4 cores with HT = 8 virtual cores) - who the hell runs a single core cpu these days - hell can you even get a single core cpu these days?
You're one of these people who belives marketting blurb arnt you? 'performance improved... blah blh blah', but probably has no clue whatsoever about how that might actually translated in a DAW scenario lett alone actually tried a whole series of test with different OSs and audio hardware on the same computer hardware. The reason I did it was moving to windows 7 meant ditching a very expensive mixer (due to yamaha abandoning their customers and leaving them in the shit) - so I needed to be absolutely sure it was worth it and what the cons were etc.

MajoDub

Post by MajoDub » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:23 pm

using in 2 machines, one i3 another amd x2, working rock solid

luzil

Post by luzil » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:34 pm

cmon, why so upset, im just not the guy believing any single subjective non standard Test by anonymous forum poster :wink:

Here are my "indication" for Audio Software on W7 exceeding XP performance i read a while before posting here

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2010/08/t ... for-music/
frankly, in the beginning I had some major problems with audio glitches and dropouts. I’ve tried everything using the standard tools (latency checker and process explorer) and disabling services and processes. however, there were no achievements doing this. something came to my mind which was the quasi solution for all audio problems on windows xp: setting the system preferences to background processes. it didn’t have any effect on my old win xp but worked like a miracle for win7: all glitches were gone!
I did myself Live 8 Performance Test and the CPU utilization was same. I have lot of software installed and everything runs more smoothly than on XP. So i cannot simply believe u...Im not credulous at all

Jens Burkert

Post by Jens Burkert » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:54 pm

Edited.
Last edited by Jens Burkert on Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:02 am

luzil wrote:cmon, why so upset, im just not the guy believing any single subjective non standard Test by anonymous forum poster :wink:

Here are my "indication" for Audio Software on W7 exceeding XP performance i read a while before posting here

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2010/08/t ... for-music/
LMAO artical written by a musician? I wonder if hes also a software developer whos doen quite a few device drivers?. I wonder if his job is often doing hardware and software performance analysis? I doubt it. I wonder how many times he has satt through presentation given by lead devs from microsoft kernel team on upcoming low level changes etc?