Live and Reason ReWire question

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
barciewicz

Live and Reason ReWire question

Post by barciewicz » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:31 pm

I use Live and Reason together via the External Instrument device. When i turn midi track (on which i put Ext. Ins. device on) off while playing notes (I dont have any MIDI keyboards set in Reason) or playing previously recorded midi clip the sound is still there , coming out from Reason . The only way to mute this track is to turn the Ext. Ins. Device off, which is rather unconvenient when you have many tracks or want to work fast.
Is there any solution to this? I guess some rerouting in Reason might be involved, but I want to keep the process as simple as possible and i want to use the Ext. Ins. device way of ReWiring.

fiver

Re: Live and Reason ReWire question

Post by fiver » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:58 pm

strange you should mention that. i had the same problem the other day and after playing with it for a minute. i just realized that arming the midi track only gates whether or not live accepts incoming midi information (at which point it sends that information on). it DOESNT prevent sound from coming back into live from an external source if midi(whatever you've already recorded) is being sent to the device.

fiver

Post by fiver » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:59 pm

wow, bad english. that's what i get for editing and not checking it again afterwards. let me know if i need to try that again.

barciewicz

Post by barciewicz » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:44 pm

Thanks. I also have a similar problem: Say i create an Ext. Ins. track for Reason's Malstrom with no effects on it, and another one for Reason's Subtractor with Live's reverb device on. When both track play, Reverb will apply to both of them, and i only want one. I guess that's because they're both routed to the same output (1/2 Mix L, Mix R) but it seems imposiible to reroute them to individual outputs in Reason .

There must be some solution to this as if there wasn't it would make the whole ReWire thing nonsense...

tlennon

Post by tlennon » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:50 pm

You have to route the inst in Reason to indie outs. This is fairly a simple task. Let me know if I you need clarity with perhaps a video.
Terrence Lennon

barciewicz

Post by barciewicz » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:08 pm

tlennon wrote:You have to route the inst in Reason to indie outs. This is fairly a simple task. Let me know if I you need clarity with perhaps a video.

Hmmm... But isn't it possible only by omitting the reason's mixer and routing Reason's instrument straight into the Hardware Device's (Live's) mixer? I dont want to do that, as i want to fiddle with Reason;s mixer faders etc. Plus, some Reason's instruments, like Subtractor, have only one audio output cable, so if I plug them straight to Hardware Device's mixer I will get only mono signal (as opposed to plugging them into Reason's mixer, which has also stereophonic Master Out.)

barciewicz

Post by barciewicz » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:25 pm

Or maybe I'll resign from Reason's mixer, but again, what should I do with Substractor instrument? It has only one, monophonic out...

tlennon

Post by tlennon » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:43 pm

Yes. Instrument like Subtractor are mono which can use mono track monitoring in Live. And I'm not sure what issues you have having to use the Reason mixer ( I assume you mean the 14:2 or 6:2 mixers, or something like that) in Reason. You won't need those mixers with Rewire. Even if you did want to use them for working with the setup using Reason stand alone, there is a way to do that as well.
Terrence Lennon

Zeddy

Post by Zeddy » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:50 pm

I had the same problem with Reason sending audio even when the External Instrument track was not armed. The solution was actually pretty simple when I figured it out. It was kind of a "d'oh" moment for me. The solution was to open the Reason preferences and navigate to the Control Surface section. Then just uncheck the box 'Use this controller with Reason' or whatever its called. Now your keyboard will only send Midi to Ableton and not double up and send to both Ableton and Reason. If you're not happy with this set up, I discovered a different technique as well, but I'm at work so I don't remember the exact steps to describe it to you.

barciewicz

Post by barciewicz » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:10 pm

Thanks guys. I've rerouted everything manually just as tlennon suggested, and it works fine.