crossfading audio loop clip with itself or next clip

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
phonographist

crossfading audio loop clip with itself or next clip

Post by phonographist » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:13 pm

So, what I'm asking is if it's possivble to crossfade a audio clip loop with the end and beginning of itself. Like you can do if you drop it into Sampler... I'm doing a thing with atmospheres and stuff like that, things that doesn't have sharp starts and ends, and it would sound a lot nicer if you didn't hear the start and end of the loop.

I would also like to know if its possible to do kind of the same thing but to crossfade with the next clip you activate in the same channel? So when i move from one clip to the next it's a smooth change...

/oscar, sweden

buzby

Re: crossfading audio loop clip with itself or next clip

Post by buzby » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:51 pm

not really possible in the same channel

one way would be to duplicate the track and just line up your clips so that they cross over where you want them to and either use the mixer cross fade function or put fades on the clips or put volume fades in the clip automation
https://hiddensound.net/
https://linktr.ee/hiddensound
Sound Devices mix pre 3 and 10Tii, various Sennheiser mkh, dpa, LOM, Audio Technica microphones

jurgen.simpson

Post by jurgen.simpson » Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:52 pm

Is there a way of importing loop points created in an external editor so that these are read within an Ableton Clip (not Sampler)?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:28 pm

What I do for atmospheric loops is I render them to audio. Plonk them in arrangement on a track. I allow an intro section of (lets say) 2 bars, then set an arrangement loop of (for example) 8bars.
Then I grab the intro section and paste it onto a new track so that it ends right where the loop ends. Then I do a crossfade over the last couple of bars of the loop, so that the main track fades out the last bit of the "intro" fades in.

This creates a seamless loop from the end of bar 10 to the start of bar 3. I render that whole thing, intro 2 bars and the 8 bar loop. Now I have a reusable ambient loop with intro. I can drop it into a session slot and set the loop points so that it will sustain properly without glitches.

Ableton should have done more to allow clips to seamlessly loop without all this fuss, but they haven't. Audio Clips have stayed the same for about 15 years.