why doesn't the editor marker align to the arrange marker?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mr.ergonomics

why doesn't the editor marker align to the arrange marker?

Post by mr.ergonomics » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:12 pm

It's very annoying that the marker doesn't align in both views.

why? I often want to sync different midi notes or warpmarker etc. to a specific position in the arrangement, therefore I need a kind of marker. In cubase I just use the 'play position line" (the black line you see when you hit play) as a "sync" marker because you can see it in every editor and just place it with the mouse where you want it.

I don't find a way to do this in ableton.

I just made two pictures, I guess you can easily test it and see what I mean.

Tone Deft

Re: why doesn't the editor marker align to the arrange marker?

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:21 pm

if I get you right... it's Monday morning, bear with me...

Live has three views, Clip view, Arrange view and Session view.

you're comparing Clip and Arrange view. Clip view's time is relative to the start of the clip. Arrange view's time is relative to the start of the song.

if you put that loop into the middle of a long song, like at measure 32. how would a clip that's 4 measures long show measure 32, for example?
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:55 pm

..clip/session/arrangement relationship...
when you view a clip timing.. it's relative to the clip...not the arrangement grid

mr.ergonomics

Post by mr.ergonomics » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:23 pm

I'm comparing 'arrange clip view' (editor in arrange view) with arrange view.

just test it's not relative, the problem is that it only works in one way.

take a look again at the pictures and test this:

- make a midi clip
- open the editor for it
- click in the editor
-> the marker aligns in arrange view and 'arrange clip view'

- now click in the arrange view
-> the marker in the editor doesn't change

it's only sync in one way.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:56 pm

...YES ...EXACTLY !
...if the clip is in the 'arrangement' marker position.. and happens also to be showing in the 'clip view' it'll show it..
the other way around...no

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:23 pm

mr.ergonomics wrote:I'm comparing 'arrange clip view' (editor in arrange view) with arrange view.

just test it's not relative, the problem is that it only works in one way.

take a look again at the pictures and test this:

- make a midi clip
- open the editor for it
- click in the editor
-> the marker aligns in arrange view and 'arrange clip view'

- now click in the arrange view
-> the marker in the editor doesn't change

it's only sync in one way.
im glad you come along and point these things out.
you are probably the only person i have seen that has the same annoyances with live as myself.

i just don't know how to explain these things since i have mainly only used live up until recently.

but yeah this is a very annoying flaw with lives arrange view.

more daw features damnit!
(along with session view features)
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:57 am

If I understand you correctly (and yes I tried it) the play cursor in clip view doesn't update the play cursor at the top of the arrange view? However it it does work the other way around, correct? I believe the answer is yes. There is an up side and a down side to this though.

First off I never use that marker/cursor as a play cursor. I always use the cursor represented by the mouse turning into a speaker icon to play at a given position (so your observation isn't an annoyance for me). But of course that begs the question as to why have a play cursor in both if they don't update each other. I would argue that I would not want the clip view play cursor to update the arrange view play cursor. I would would not want my song position play cursor to jump to that absolute position on the timeline just because I wanted to edit that particular clip at that spot. You can then make an edit without interrupting playback.

I can see your point of view as well. But if given a choice I'd prefer the present implementation.

locojohn

Post by locojohn » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:56 pm

As for me, a simple option in the preferences to control the relation between the clip's play cursor and the arrangement view play cursor would be preferable. The default behavior slows down the workflow when editing midi clips, IMVHO.

Andrejs
/*
  • the basic tone of life remains the same,
    and in it there are some happy melodies
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

mr.ergonomics

Post by mr.ergonomics » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:56 pm

UncleAge wrote:First off I never use that marker/cursor as a play cursor. I always use the cursor represented by the mouse turning into a speaker icon to play at a given position (so your observation isn't an annoyance for me).
how do you do that?

- the play marker (the black line that's moving) disappears immediately when you stop the playback
- when you click at a given position in the timeline it immediately starts playback so you can't use it to align things

good to see that you think the same locojohn. even with markers is not possible to align events or better different position in different midi/audio tracks. there is not a single method to do that in live!

a big workflow killer since a long time for me.
8)

sacaan

Post by sacaan » Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:43 am

Has anyone put this in the Beta test program suggestions? It is really very annoying and wastes a lot of time, especially in multitrack editing.

TonyReed

Post by TonyReed » Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:32 am

I totally agree that the issue you raise is a flaw in Ableton. I have raised it both this forum and to support. Its fundamental I think that the option should exist to make the clip view play from the same place in the song that you arrange marker is. The maths is simple to code.
I have the same problem using two different loop lengths say on session view. If i want to start one loop at say bar 12 I want the other loops to play from same spot in their loop cycle. There is a work around for it using push and working out for your self where the other loop should be and then setting a start offset.
But thats cumbersome - you could do the same thing in arrange by setting loops within your clip and using loop offsets to start from the place that matches your arrange view marker.
Anyhow like you say Cubase and Logic are all over this. Cant fathom why Ableton isn't.