LiveControl: Automap for TouchOSC (ipod/ipad)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Homebelly

Re: Automap for TouchOSC (ipod/ipad)

Post by Homebelly » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:26 pm

ST8 wrote:Heres a demo of the application: http://vimeo.com/10827539
I am more than just a little bit impressed by this.
I was on the verge of getting a launch-pad and an SL-ZERO-MKII, but now i'm thinking the iPad is the way forward.
So..
Couple of questions...
Do you have to map every control manually, or does the application see each LIVE device when you select a track?
Is there a way to extend how many clips are seen in side the box? At the moment it seems to be set to a 4X7 grid.
How is the resolution of the controls, are you able to make very small adjustments, and how much latency is introduced?
Can you build your own custom layouts?

On another note, and at the risk of derailing the entire thread, this kind of application is a great example of where the real potential of the iPad is.
A networkable hard ware peripheral to an actual computer that can be used remotely to control or update what is kept on your main work station.
Very cool.
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

RajahP

Post by RajahP » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:45 pm

CR78 wrote:
Better yet,why not get a full set of Kolinsky Red Sable brushes(sizes 000 to 30) and the complete palette of Old Hollands finest oils and hand paint the GUI. You could then scan this and convert it to a digital format.... :roll:

Oh the gratefulness. :wink:
Hardly, just pushing the envelope a little.
It's a mighty app.. and the step sequencer is a cherry on the top...

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:53 pm

Amazing. Absolutely the coolest thing I've seen in a long time. Total game changer here. And this is just the beginning. 8O

Can you set what messages get sent from the app? CCs or MIDI notes? Can you assign what the CCs/notes are?

Wow. Extremely cool.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

ST8

Post by ST8 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:38 pm

Homebelly wrote:
ST8 wrote:Heres a demo of the application: http://vimeo.com/10827539
Do you have to map every control manually, or does the application see each LIVE device when you select a track?
Is there a way to extend how many clips are seen in side the box? At the moment it seems to be set to a 4X7 grid.
How is the resolution of the controls, are you able to make very small adjustments, and how much latency is introduced?
Can you build your own custom layouts?
All the controls are automapped, the script knows about ableton devices. When you select a device it knows you've selected it. At the moment the ipod has a 4x7 grid, the ipad has a 7x7 grid. The iPads clip launcher looks like this:

The size on the ipod is the main limitation. Resolution is pretty decent considering the size of the ipod, and yes there is a little latency (~100ms, its a limitation of the script). I'm sure you could build your own layout.
LoopStationZebra wrote: Can you set what messages get sent from the app? CCs or MIDI notes? Can you assign what the CCs/notes are?
It sends osc messages, theres no midi involved at all. The whole thing is automapped (theres no midi mapping, its automatic), so you cant really reassign anything.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:57 pm

ST8 wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote: Can you set what messages get sent from the app? CCs or MIDI notes? Can you assign what the CCs/notes are?
It sends osc messages, theres no midi involved at all. The whole thing is automapped (theres no midi mapping, its automatic), so you cant really reassign anything.

lol. Duh, of course. My mind was elsewhere. :lol:
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

Dr. Zoiberg

Post by Dr. Zoiberg » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:04 pm

this is great!
just tried on my iPad, it works and doesn't need Osculator.

I hope to be able to build my own layout in the future.

rekloos

Post by rekloos » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:24 pm

wow...interesting.
how does everything get connected? ipod/ipad to the computer etc?
rekloos presents: BASS KULTURE : all things dubwise ! Every Sunday @12PM / Fridays @6PM(EST):
http://radio614.org/

dub album out now on juno&beatport:
http://bit.ly/S26jun
http://bit.ly/SS26bp

running with scissors.

ST8

Post by ST8 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:35 pm

@Dr Zolberg
If you could provide a video of it working on the iPad that would be awesome ;)

@rekloos
it uses wifi, you can use either a normal network or an ad hoc network

rekloos

Post by rekloos » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:35 pm

sweet!

what are you using in your vimeo example? looks like an ipad....no?
rekloos presents: BASS KULTURE : all things dubwise ! Every Sunday @12PM / Fridays @6PM(EST):
http://radio614.org/

dub album out now on juno&beatport:
http://bit.ly/S26jun
http://bit.ly/SS26bp

running with scissors.

Dr. Zoiberg

Post by Dr. Zoiberg » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:46 pm

@ST8

I've just posted a couple of pictures here

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:12 am

first off.not working at all with the newest beta with my iphone.in 8.1.1 the iphone receives feedback but nothing else.i think a few people on the monome forum are having the same troubles.any ideas.looks great,cant wait til i get this working.

ST8

Post by ST8 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:53 am

Its an iPod in the video, does anyone want to send me an iPad? ;)

I'll check out this issue with 8.1.1 as soon as i can. Weird thing is it works fine here on 8.1.1 :(

@Zoiberg,
That looks great!

UnCL0NED

Post by UnCL0NED » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:39 am

... Very impressive!!!

Two questions / suggestions:
I noticed that it's possible to change the names of the clips and TouchOSC will automatically update it on the screen. Is it possible to have the color coding also adapt to Live in the future?
And the macro controls/knobs for the devices in Live: Will they also carry the same name (both knobs and device name) on TouchOSC in the future?
I can totally see this work, so that you don't need to stand behind your laptop anymore when Performing / DJ-ing!

Get some of the motion detection to control the x and y axis and you've got yourself the new generation of "instruments"! 8)

Keep up the good work!
soundcloud
"everything you read on the internet is true!"

ST8

Post by ST8 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:18 am

UnCL0NED wrote: I noticed that it's possible to change the names of the clips and TouchOSC will automatically update it on the screen. Is it possible to have the color coding also adapt to Live in the future?

And the macro controls/knobs for the devices in Live: Will they also carry the same name (both knobs and device name) on TouchOSC in the future?
If TouchOSC supported changing the colour of widgets via osc then yes the clip launcher could follow the clip colours. At the moment thats not possible though

Regards the macros, yes the names follow the device and parameter names already :)

Coupe70

Post by Coupe70 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:34 am

ST8 wrote: If TouchOSC supported changing the colour of widgets via osc then yes the clip launcher could follow the clip colours. At the moment thats not possible though
We should all encourage hexler to implement this !
It's one of my favourite feature wishes for TouchOSC...
Phongemeinschaft (Live-ElectroJazz / NuJazz)
Homepage - youtube - Like! :-)
Live 9 (32Bit), HP DV7, i5 2,53GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win7 (64Bit)