Macs / USB

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
nowtime

Macs / USB

Post by nowtime » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:11 am

Should I waste my time and money trying a new and additional USB Hub?

My problem is that as soon as I added my fifth (!) midi controller (a 2nd Launchpad), things have gone screwy. I use a no-name USB Hub. I have 4 controllers on one HUB and a fifth controller plugged into it's own USB input.

Not sure how USB works. If I purchase a 2nd HUB and play around with different configurations/combinations of controllers on my two USB inputs on my Macbook Pro, can that make a difference?

Or is it simply that the computer only handles so much USB input at a time, and it doesn't really matter WHERE the controllers are?
Life is Good

audiofeen

Re: Macs / USB

Post by audiofeen » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:55 am

Some controllers don't like usb hub's so bear that in mind , but just buy a usb hub with a power supply and use it, especially with the launch pads.
I used 2 hubs for a while and din't have to many problems sometimes for strange reasons certain controllers wouldn't work in some ports but i played around with it and got it sorted.
http://www.soundcloud.com/mikewolf
Live setup: Macbook pro 3ghz 16gb ram, Live 8.x.x, max 4 live, Mpc 1000, Komplete 7, Circle, Akai apc40, Motu ultralite, Krk Vxt8's, and soon a Innerclock Systems sync gen.

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:18 pm

Thanks.

I guess the question in a nutshell is: Is there a difference on Macs between having 4 controllers on one USB input and 1 controller on the other USB input, compared to having 2 hubs with 3 on 1 input and 2 on the other input? Can that help the info pass easier?
Life is Good

audiofeen

Post by audiofeen » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:21 pm

I'd say it's better to try keep the load eleven on both side
ie 1 launch pad on each hub because they draw a lot of juice..
what other USB devices are you using.

on one hub I use the apc 40, keyboard and mouse,
and on the other I use a trigga finger and 49 key keyboard
and a hdd
http://www.soundcloud.com/mikewolf
Live setup: Macbook pro 3ghz 16gb ram, Live 8.x.x, max 4 live, Mpc 1000, Komplete 7, Circle, Akai apc40, Motu ultralite, Krk Vxt8's, and soon a Innerclock Systems sync gen.