For This Evening's Entertainment: A Demonstration of Sound

Share your tracks with other users.
digitallush

For This Evening's Entertainment: A Demonstration of Sound

Post by digitallush » Thu May 06, 2010 1:43 pm

Intro to a Live Set I'll be performing Friday - feedback WELCOME. :)

http://soundcloud.com/digitallush/this- ... n-of-sound

agent314

Re: For This Evening's Entertainment: A Demonstration of Sound

Post by agent314 » Thu May 06, 2010 3:32 pm

I like it a lot, dude. The beginning reminds me of the Myst soundtrack if it had been done a decade later.

The beats are a great complement to the rest of the orchestration.

I like the other tracks you have up, too - you've got a great feel with your tunes. Very original, at least to my ears.

tlennon

Post by tlennon » Thu May 06, 2010 4:54 pm

Hi Digi. Someone can easily consider this out of sync but knowing what kind of sound you go for, it would be appreciated. I think it's pretty interesting but I failed to imagine a good application for it. Drum sample seems distorted but I don't think it's digital. Perhaps you applied distortion unit/plugin intentionally to give it grit. You also show signs of progress with mixing and pre-mastering as this time nothing jumps out of the overall balance. Keep up the progress and thanks again for sharing.
Terrence Lennon

digitallush

Post by digitallush » Thu May 06, 2010 6:46 pm

Thanks for the nice feedback guys. As for terrance:

This is created live on the fly, so ideally I'm aiming to perform these tracks in a live venue. Some of the drum samples are distorted a little bit (but the acoustic drum samples are pretty solid) I'm doing my best to wrap my head around compressing/limiting etc. I've been experimenting a lot to really 'hear' the difference and not just put a preset on my tracks. I'd rather know what every knob of the compressor is doing and how it's affecting the sound -

As for the vocal treatment - any suggestions on this would be helpful (if that's what you were referring to as out of sync) - to date, I've spent the past few years experimenting with delays. I like to apply my delays in real time (100% wet and 100% feedback on the return) and bring out specifc parts of vocals... but sometimes.. unfortunately.. I do miss the hit when I turn the knob to the timing.. this results in an out of sync delay (although the delay is set to 4/4) - I am curious as to how people achieve the manipulation of drum beats that 'sounds' like a delay, but it's just repeating (I've been unsuccessful at mastering the beat repeat and feeling comfortable manipulating it live)

Anyways, your feedback is always helpful and has really encouraged me to push what I feel comfortable with - feel free to keep laying it on.

-E

tlennon

Post by tlennon » Thu May 06, 2010 8:10 pm

The part that sounds out of sync is what sounds like a guitar hit. It does not appear to hit on any regular beat. I thought that was an obvioius and deliberate part of your composition. The vocal part is okay.
Terrence Lennon

SlimC

Post by SlimC » Fri May 07, 2010 1:51 am

Good news! Ten minutes after listening to your track I can still remember it. So you are doing something worth listening to, IMHO.
I figured the asynch guitar/bass hit during minute one was intentional, but I'm not sure it adds to the overall impact of the track. But perhaps it has value just for interest/variety.
I really liked the drum samples at 1.24 and onward.
My only criticism was that the vocal sample at 2.30 (repeating "sound") just rubbed me wrong - maybe it needs to break down into sound (rather than audible word) faster? Or maybe it's just me.
Looking forward to hearing your stuff in the future. :)
Recovering quite nicely from my VocoPro addiction, thanks for asking!

digitallush

Post by digitallush » Sun May 09, 2010 9:12 pm

Thank you for the feedback Slim. Am posting a new track in just a moment. :D

tan111

Post by tan111 » Tue May 11, 2010 8:06 pm

Sorry that I was late, but I think this is a really pretty sound You`ve made! Thank`s for the link

digitallush

Post by digitallush » Wed May 12, 2010 11:30 pm

Thanks so much guys. :mrgreen: