iPad

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Slightlydelic

Re: My New iPad: Daily Reports!

Post by Slightlydelic » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:27 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:Ja.

Having trouble though getting the new pads/ keys to work on a consistent basis. Have you had better luck?

i havent needed the keys/pads yet, the only trouble ive had was on install, i just couldnt get it to instal the remote script untill i had "installed as administrator"

so far realy i just recorded a short session using clips i had loaded using the track on off to bring things in and out and then using the xy pad to record some automation, morphing the kore 2 player.

ill ad a drum rack and see how that goes.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:43 pm

Seems like the TouchOSC folk(s) are doing a juggling act between getting updates released to the public and asking you to do some heavy lifting on your end to make it all work properly until if/when they come up with a better backend user interface…which hopefully they are working on. It's sort of like a writer releasing their unedited chapters before the book is ready for print to keep your interest…and keeping people's interest in Apple iPad app land is no small task. 45,000 new apps being released every nanosecond.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:29 pm

beats me wrote: keeping people's interest in Apple iPad app land is no small task. 45,000 new apps being released every nanosecond.
... and turds back up a rapid rate when the plumbing is clogged.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:48 pm

H20nly wrote:
beats me wrote: keeping people's interest in Apple iPad app land is no small task. 45,000 new apps being released every nanosecond.
beatportenomics.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:56 pm

beats me wrote:
H20nly wrote:
beatportenomics.
let it hence forth be known as this.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:18 pm

beats me wrote:Can you design your own layout or are you stuck with a handful stock layouts? I won't get excited unless you can fully design whatever layout pops into your head, complete with resizable elements.
Yup. That's what the touchosc editor is for. There's no max/m4l/any scripting involved. And if you want to control midi with it and you're on a mac, then you can just use OSCulator with it which is very easy to use. Windows users do need to use Pure Data which IS like using Max.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:19 am

Right. So I didn't make it to the Apple store last week like I thought I would so I went today and as no surprise they have no 3G 64 gig models in stock, a little more surprising is they didn't have any model in stock and apparently the Apple stores are running like restaurants because they're only placing their orders based on people requesting them in the store on an ongoing waiting list. You put your name on the list, you get an email when it's at the store and you have 24 hours to pick it up or you're SOL. Can't even drop a deposit or full payment in case shit happens in that 24 hour period and you can't make it.

So I weighed my options. Order one online and wait 7-10 days before it ships from China or put my name on the in store list which the guy claimed would be no later than 2 weeks and some people got theirs within 2 days because people on the list didn't show to pick there's up. I went with the latter because I'm a maverick and everybody I know who got one either ordered online or happened to be at the Apple store for the 10 minutes they actually had one in stock.

Hopefully this won't be like my experiences with Guitar Center too many times to count when I special ordered something and somehow in the 30 minutes between the time they called me to let me know it was there and the time I arrived to pick it up it disappeared.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:20 am

delicioso wrote:
beats me wrote:Can you design your own layout or are you stuck with a handful stock layouts? I won't get excited unless you can fully design whatever layout pops into your head, complete with resizable elements.
Yup. That's what the touchosc editor is for. There's no max/m4l/any scripting involved. And if you want to control midi with it and you're on a mac, then you can just use OSCulator with it which is very easy to use. Windows users do need to use Pure Data which IS like using Max.

Oh, good post. So it's easier on a Mac? :lol: Of course it is! Pfft.

Seriously though, delicioso. HOW easy is it to design your own layout? I'm still getting visions of complicated Max-like wiring diagrams.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:23 am

beats me wrote:Right. So I didn't make it to the Apple store last week like I thought I would so I went today and as no surprise they have no 3G 64 gig models in stock, a little more surprising is they didn't have any model in stock and apparently the Apple stores are running like restaurants because they're only placing their orders based on people requesting them in the store on an ongoing waiting list. You put your name on the list, you get an email when it's at the store and you have 24 hours to pick it up or you're SOL. Can't even drop a deposit or full payment in case shit happens in that 24 hour period and you can't make it.

So I weighed my options. Order one online and wait 7-10 days before it ships from China or put my name on the in store list which the guy claimed would be no later than 2 weeks and some people got theirs within 2 days because people on the list didn't show to pick there's up. I went with the latter because I'm a maverick and everybody I know who got one either ordered online or happened to be at the Apple store for the 10 minutes they actually had one in stock.

Hopefully this won't be like my experiences with Guitar Center too many times to count when I special ordered something and somehow in the 30 minutes between the time they called me to let me know it was there and the time I arrived to pick it up it disappeared.

I'd cancel that fucker right now and order online. Just sayin.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:44 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:
beats me wrote:Right. So I didn't make it to the Apple store last week like I thought I would so I went today and as no surprise they have no 3G 64 gig models in stock, a little more surprising is they didn't have any model in stock and apparently the Apple stores are running like restaurants because they're only placing their orders based on people requesting them in the store on an ongoing waiting list. You put your name on the list, you get an email when it's at the store and you have 24 hours to pick it up or you're SOL. Can't even drop a deposit or full payment in case shit happens in that 24 hour period and you can't make it.

I'd cancel that fucker right now and order online. Just sayin.
Well really it doesn't need to be canceled. If I don't show up it will just go to the next person on the waiting list. I feel I really need to try this method so I can share my experience with the world.

This was actually the first time I got to play with one too in the store. The only web site I went to was the NI site to see how shitty it would look and boy did it deliver shitty. Any ideas as to why? :)

The demo models were kind of disappointing in that they only had the stock applications on them, some songs in iTunes I would never buy, a music video by a band I've never heard of, some complete strangers' photo libraries...I don't even like photo libraries of people I do know, and an email inbox filled with email from/to people I can only assume they invented. Maybe this would be exciting stuff if you've never owned an Apple product but if you do it's all kind of meh. I wish they would have loaded it with some apps that are actually interesting or inspiring...the real reason you'd buy the thing. And WTF is the logic behind making the ebooks app something you have to install after you get it?? Seems like it should be a fairly obvious stock app and something people might want to explore in the store.

Other than that I went to California Pizza Kitchen to celebrate my waiting list status. The food was good.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:53 am

Yeah, as I wrote about before, my experience in the store was also rather 'meh'.

Look forward to hearing about your retail wait.

And, of course, you really must start an ongoing thread about your iPad experience. :lol:

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:01 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:Yeah, as I wrote about before, my experience in the store was also rather 'meh'.

Look forward to hearing about your retail wait.

And, of course, you really must start an ongoing thread about your iPad experience. :lol:
:)

Yeah, sorry for intermingling my waiting list experience with your user experience. People could get confused.....but not Lost fans.

Have you tried any multiplayer games yet? Truth be known online gamers terrify me more than strangers I bump into on the streets. Maybe when I get mine we can play a triumphant game of Scrabble or some shit.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:08 am

beats me wrote:Well really it doesn't need to be canceled. If I don't show up it will just go to the next person on the waiting list. I feel I really need to try this method so I can share my experience with the world.

i wonder if besides supply and demand, there was a chapter on sheep in Mr. Jobs Marketing class?? :?

8O

Post by 8O » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:59 am

stringtapper wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:
8O wrote:Hi,

It can't be charged via a laptop's USB port; need to always use the supplied power supply, right?

That's right. Needs at least 10w of power; which all computers except those very recently released can provide at the USB ports.
Hmm, so it will charge from a 2008 MBP but not a 2009 MBP? I'm pretty sure it has charged from my 2008.
Ok... figured it out... iPad charges from the laptop if the iPad's switched off/sleeping; doesn't appear to charge while the iPad is switched on. Works fine charging from a 2008 Macbook Pro.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:52 pm

H20nly wrote:
beats me wrote:Well really it doesn't need to be canceled. If I don't show up it will just go to the next person on the waiting list. I feel I really need to try this method so I can share my experience with the world.

i wonder if besides supply and demand, there was a chapter on sheep in Mr. Jobs Marketing class?? :?
I think it's more like this

which some people feel is just as evil and over hyped. You could more easily ride the zipper and tilt-a-whirl at your local fairgrounds sans the magic, expense, and sanitation and safety standards.