Omnisphere VS. Komplete 6

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Poll ended at Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:25 am

Omnisphere
46%
Komplete 6
54%

Total votes: 28

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Sun May 30, 2010 5:25 am

I know theres a broad number of forumites around here who can give a two cents.

Omnisphere has a insane library to play with, however so does Komplete.

Thanks for any advice guys

XPM

Re: Omnisphere VS. Komplete 6

Post by XPM » Sun May 30, 2010 9:40 am

Komplete is a large suite of instruments, and includes the immense modular magic of Reaktor.

Omnisphere is a single instrument, complex and excellent sounding, but a single instrument none the less.

Comparing the two doesn't seem a reasonable excercise to me.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sun May 30, 2010 9:45 am

Ditto.

If it was Omnisphere vs Kontakt (and maybe one other synth) it would be fairer comparison.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

tw1nstates

Post by tw1nstates » Sun May 30, 2010 10:15 am

Komplete,

Omnisphere is good but if you are deciding which to buy first Komplete gives you more bang for your buck by miles.

However, there are a lot of dreadful presets on their synths so you will want to spend some time making your own. . .
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sun May 30, 2010 12:06 pm

no comparison..
if it's value you're after.. Komplete takes it all the way

lapieuvre

Post by lapieuvre » Sun May 30, 2010 12:48 pm

You are comparing pears with oranges.

The 2 together makes an amazing combination!
MBP 2018, 16 GB Ram, OSX 10.15.7
MBP M1 Max 64 GB Ram, OSX 14.5
Live 10.1.43 Suite
Live 11.3.25
Live 12.0.5b5 Beta
Interface : Apollo Twin duo

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun May 30, 2010 1:40 pm

I vote Omni, while yes it's only one synth, it has most of the best features of the NI synths you get with Komplete. Only thing realy missing is the drums ala Battery. Both have thousands of presets, but I find that Omni's are more useable as starting points for my own creations. Finally, Spectraonics support is heads above NI, Eric releases bug fixes all the time and is very open with his customers about ongoing issues. Never had Omnisphere crash, definitely can't say that about the NI stuff i've owned.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sun May 30, 2010 2:17 pm

lapieuvre wrote:You are comparing pears with oranges.

The 2 together makes an amazing combination!
pears and oranges do go well together..
I'd add some nuts to the mix.. and a good bottle of wine!
aphrodisiacs...

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Sun May 30, 2010 2:36 pm

Tarekith wrote:Spectraonics support is heads above NI, Eric releases bug fixes all the time and is very open with his customers about ongoing issues. Never had Omnisphere crash, definitely can't say that about the NI stuff i've owned.

Thats what I like to hear - Thanks

I love NI products to death - But kinda thinking about going with something new...I've read alot of great reviews about Omnisphere & Spectrasonics products. However Komplete is a monster bundle package - Insane values nonetheless.

But then again I've always considered quality over quantity.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sun May 30, 2010 7:06 pm

It depends on what you already have too. For example if you don't have the Ableton Suite, I think you'd be better off with Komplete, because then you can use your own samples and buy other sample packs and such, since you'd have Kontakt. And Kontakt does have a great collection of real world instruments. But if you already have a good collection of that kind of thing, or have the suite instruments, then there would be more overlap (operator and fm8, sampler etc.), then Omni might be the way to go.

In general I'd lean towards Komplete 6 though because of the variety and expandability via Kontakt. Omnisphere + Trilian though, now that's an amazing bundle!
Professional Shark Jumper.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sun May 30, 2010 9:37 pm

I don't like NI's copyright system and the support has been sketchy in the past, but Omnisphere cannot cover all the bases provided in Komplete. You could argue that just Kontakt and Reaktor combined gives you more possibilities than Omnisphere, never mind all the other synths packaged. Not to doubt that Omnisphere is an amazing synth. Omnisphere and Trilian would be an amazing package but you better have deep pockets and a ton of spare hard disk space to consider this.

The other thing to consider is that (apart from Massive, although it does have an 'eco' mode, and Guitar Rig - which can also be useful and amazing on other things non guitar, which also has a 'lo-res' mode), is that NI's synths generally require less juice to run than Omnisphere.

You should demo the products concerned and see which fits you best, everyone makes their recommendations based on their own personal workflow and needs, which could well be different from yours.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Sun May 30, 2010 10:25 pm

It's a silly comparison simply because they are both just so good -- you can't go wrong either way. My vote is Komplete because personally I'd take Reaktor alone over Omnisphere. I own all of the above, and even comparing them individually I use absynth, reaktor and kontakt more than omnisphere. Just the library ensembles and fx in Reaktor alone equal a world of sound and potential.

it's an impossible argument. it just goes 'round and 'round. both are overwhelming and very high quality, so spin the bottle, i say.

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sun May 30, 2010 10:55 pm

NI instruments are very very cpu efficient...
don't know about OmniSphere

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun May 30, 2010 11:18 pm

Omni has a lite mode now if a preset is too CPU intensive.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sun May 30, 2010 11:37 pm

Tarekith wrote:Omni has a lite mode now if a preset is too CPU intensive.
Doesn't that just affect ram? I'm pretty sure the lite settings are for using less samples, which won't really impact the cpu.

But anyways I find Omnisphere quite reasonable on cpu. It only goes up when a lot is going on.
Professional Shark Jumper.