NI offer: Audio 8 DJ + Traktor. Anyone using A8DJ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dzisign

NI offer: Audio 8 DJ + Traktor. Anyone using A8DJ?

Post by dzisign » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:04 pm

Hey guys,

yesterday I came across this offer from Native Instruments (this is no advertisement!! ;D ):

Audio 8 DJ + FULL version of Traktor Pro for the usual price of A8DJ (399eur)

At first I only wanted to buy Traktor Pro for home & club but this offer might be interesting. Now I wanted to know if anyone of you has experiences with this interface and would recommend it. I know that there are always better cards but I don't want to pay more than 400eur as I am not a professionel yet and still learning (electronic stuff developes faster than my skills do xD). For now I use the Maya44USB for home/studio and if I understood everything right this soundcard is not for club use coz of a little amount of in/out connections and of course audio quality & credibility. I am planning to play at my "graduating party" in a Berlin club. My setup "would" include a Macbook Pro C2D 2,53, APC 40 (Traktor mapped) and Audio 8 DJ. At the NI forums I found some customers complaining about their Audio 8 interfaces as some devices seem to break down very fast but maybe every product has a few "error"-devices. Therefore I ask you for advice.

Long talk...(:

Thanks in advance and best regards
dzisign
soundcloud

*Macbook Pro 2009 2,53*Live Suite 8*APC40*Axiom25*monster win7 x64 machine*M1 MKII

SubFunk

Re: NI offer: Audio 8 DJ + Traktor. Anyone using A8DJ?

Post by SubFunk » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:11 pm

massive traktor fan here,

and the audio8dj card is ace, i don't have it myself (still using my trustworthy SC2, which only has 2 outs but a tad more oomph and spark)

but i used the audio8dj already several times with traktor and live and it's great.

i need soon another card with more outs then my SC2 has... and i will be surely going for the audio8dj.

i want to combine traktor and maschine.
*** Image GAFM ***

Punky921

Post by Punky921 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:07 pm

The A8DJ is a damn sweet piece of gear, and I've gotten some nice vocal recordings (spoken) using it. It's build like a tank. I've slammed it on tables accidentally, and it's survived that multiple times.

The sound is crisp and clean too.

dzisign

Post by dzisign » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:42 am

Wow, this sounds much better as expected =) Another question, do clubs usually have such a card in their standard setup or do the DJs bring it?
soundcloud

*Macbook Pro 2009 2,53*Live Suite 8*APC40*Axiom25*monster win7 x64 machine*M1 MKII

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:48 am

dzisign wrote:Wow, this sounds much better as expected =) Another question, do clubs usually have such a card in their standard setup or do the DJs bring it?
in europe DJs bring it!

in the states serato setups provided by clubs seem to be a little common.

i would always bring it, the last thing on earth i would do is to rely on clubs and their so called sound guys.
*** Image GAFM ***

Punky921

Post by Punky921 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:47 pm

SubFunk wrote:
i would always bring it, the last thing on earth i would do is to rely on clubs and their so called sound guys.
Yeah. It's always a risk to depend on a club's gear. You have NO idea what happened to that ish the other 6 days of the week.Bring your own A8DJ.

dzisign

Post by dzisign » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:55 pm

Okay, i see. When I use my setup MBPro + APC40+ A8DJ + Traktor + Live + Headphones :) do I need anything else for my first setup? Kind of a mixer (or do clubs at least have nice mixers?/or is the APC sufficient and outputs go from A8DJ?) I am so excited to play music live :D

Thanks again :)
soundcloud

Punky921

Post by Punky921 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:07 pm

Run the outputs of your A8DJ to the mixer and you should be good to go.

mr.ergonomics

Post by mr.ergonomics » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:19 pm

SubFunk wrote:massive traktor fan here,

and the audio8dj card is ace, i don't have it myself (still using my trustworthy SC2, which only has 2 outs but a tad more oomph and spark)

just curious what is a sc2?

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:14 pm

mr.ergonomics wrote:
SubFunk wrote:massive traktor fan here,

just curious what is a sc2?
stanton scratchamp2, extremely underrated and hardly known interface, it was developed just a few month before final scratch died (and NI decided to roll completely their own) so it didn't ever had the chance to really see the light, it was developed from the sony pro audio department (that makes sony consoles and studio stuff) and is under a mac superb, the sound is even a notch above the audio8dj, and way more juice is coming out, it's LOUD!, starts via 6 pin firewire, does not require any drivers at all, is built like a russian tank (a bit heavy, though... but really rugged as hell) pretty good mic preamp (defo usable for serious quality mic recordings, but does not have phantom power / the only minus about that card) midi I/O and it can run ridiculous low latencies (with traktor 1ms !!!!!!) and the headphone out is so good and powerfull you can use it as a 3rd output (i use the headphone out for the 3rd traktor deck, ok i only use the 3rd deck for loops and fx, etc. but you don't hear a huge difference on a PA to the normal outs 8O) and all the inputs have individual gain stages, plus one witch is switchable between mic and aux, very handy.

and it is reliable like nothing else i own, i so love this card. (and it has zero to do with super horrible scratchamp1, which was utter rubbish)
it was sold for a short time also separately and went for 550€ street, i really want more ouputs, but i have a hard time using something else, it is so damn good.

another good thing is it has a switchable power supply i think you can throw via a PSU (if you need it, under a PC for instance) anything between 9v and 24v polarity does not matter against it, it can be even powered via the old first iPod generation firewire chargers, the firewire cable hooked up to the second firewire plug, it is really constructed for travellers and the worst conditions possible.

love it love it love it

EDIT: some spelling corrections
Last edited by SubFunk on Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*** Image GAFM ***

Punky921

Post by Punky921 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:27 pm

Actually the Scratchamp 2 was out for quite a while before NI pulled the plug. It's a shame too. Stanton got really ball-kicked in the deal.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:33 pm

Punky921 wrote:Actually the Scratchamp 2 was out for quite a while before NI pulled the plug. It's a shame too. Stanton got really ball-kicked in the deal.
yeah it was a nightmare, i got the final scratch2 package sponsored and then could not use it for a damn long time, because universal binary was not supported, but well i got this nice interface out of it, that still serves me more then well. :P and then i jumped on traktor3, once it came out, massive traktor fan ever since.
*** Image GAFM ***

Verbal

Post by Verbal » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:45 pm

I already have Traktor Pro. Any discount for buying just the A8DJ?

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:46 pm

Verbal wrote:I already have Traktor Pro. Any discount for buying just the A8DJ?
i am not aware of it, but maybe?

the card is however worth the 400 euros.
*** Image GAFM ***

dzisign

Post by dzisign » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:44 pm

Verbal wrote:I already have Traktor Pro. Any discount for buying just the A8DJ?
I am afraid not. I guess a new interface might be released after this offer ends and then there might be a discount. I don't know the NI release cyclus :)
I'll wait till monday to think about the investment.

Edit: You can contact NI support and ask for a discount.
soundcloud