assigning more then one instrument to a MIDI keyboard?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Jome7

assigning more then one instrument to a MIDI keyboard?

Post by Jome7 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:59 am

I'm looking into getting at least a 49 key MIDI controller, and while I'm not planning on becoming like Billy Joel or something, like some kind of keyboard maestro, I was wondering if it was possible to assign different instruments and/or plug-ins to different sections of the keyboard to get some interesting riffs and things going. Or if it would only be possible with certain keyboards or anything like that?

Also, would I be able to set it so that the second or even third instruments that are assigned further down the keyboard are all set to the same octave?
http://www.buythis.ecrater.com/
eBay user name: cbrducati

[nis]

Re: assigning more then one instrument to a MIDI keyboard?

Post by [nis] » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:51 am

You can create keyboard splits with Instrument Racks and/or MIDI Effect Racks. You can align the octaves of the individual zones by loading the "Pitch" MIDI effect device on each rack chain to transpose the incoming notes.

Some keyboards also allow to create zones on the keyboard, where each zone sends on a different MIDI channel, so this would be another way. I'm not sure, but I think the MPK49 can do this.

Best,
Nico
Nico Starke
Ableton Product Team

mode:masters

Post by mode:masters » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:04 am

I'm not sure that the MPK49 does keyboard split, but I know the MPK61 and MPK88 definitely do it, if that helps.

Jome7

Post by Jome7 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:57 am

Ok thanks. I was just thinking that it would be cool to do this for some nice interweaving kind of riffs/effects and things instead of doing it one instrument/track at a time like normal.

Does anyone know of any other keyboards that have this feature? The MPK61 seems cool but kind of expensive for me...I also have to somehow come up with the dough for a Lite-to-Live upgrade and a few other things, pay off my PC, etc.

edit: actually just got done reading some bad reviews on the Keystation so nevermind about that. Does anyone know if the Axiom has this feature? I had the 25 key version a while ago, and thought that the keys were too deep in stroke but after looking around I guess it's normal and I just wasn't used to it. And what's the difference in the new version and the old Axiom...looks like the same thing but has the screen in the middle, and it's $100 more.

Jome7

Post by Jome7 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:59 pm

I was just looking through my old posts and was wondering, how is it possible to have split instruments if two tracks can't be armed to record at the same time?

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:15 pm

Novation keyboards can do this too. But as stated, if the keyboard can't do it, you can set up an Ableton Rack to sort of filter the incoming notes, and split them. Some soft synths and plugs let you do different things in a split keyboard kind of way. If you look around you can find a decent keyboard for a great price.

To record 2 things in once in Live you have to hold one of the modifier keys. I forget with one. Cntrl, Alt, or the apple key on a mac.