Need Monitor Purchase Advice

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nebulae

Need Monitor Purchase Advice

Post by nebulae » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:03 pm

I'm about to upgrade my monitors, and I'm considering the Yamaha HS Series. Here's where I need some advice. Ideally, I'd get the HS80 (8inch woofer) plus the HS10 sub. But that's a lot of cash. So thinking of either the HS80 or the HS50 (5 inch woofer) with the sub. I've read that on the highs and mids, both the HS80 and HS50 are accurate. The HS80 will get you as low as 42hz flat, and then taper off. The sub will get you as low as 30hz and then taper off.

So would you get the HS80s only or get the HS50 plus sub? Keep in mind that I can get the 80s now, and then add the sub in a few months or a year if I need more accurate bass. Thoughts? Recommendations?

ChiDJ

Re: Need Monitor Purchase Advice

Post by ChiDJ » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:09 pm

Whatever monitors you choose, I would strongly suggest a sub.
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:45 pm

the more bass your system creates,the more problems you run into when your room/studio isn't top-notch acoustically treated.
the lower the frequency,the more inches you need for effective low-frequency absorption.so it might sound like thunder in your studio,but bass-light on other systems(if it's not treated).
also,check if your studio isn't too small/big for a particular sub(i know Genelec and ADAM have a list with room sizes and sub size advice).

most people i know advise NOT to get a sub.the ones that use subs only use them somewhere during mastering to check that lower octave,and to impress clients who want to hear/feel something at "performance level".

when it comes to studio monitors though,listen,listen,listen to as many as you can,with al lot of different music you know really well.also bring some bad mixed music which is overcompressed/pumping,has hum/clicks/pops(like recorded from vinyl) ,to hear if the monitors stick that right back in your face.
studio monitors shouldn't be flattering in any way imo,but be like audio microscopes,brutally honest.

don't save money on studio monitors,get the best you can find.otherwise you keep upgrading and upgrading,which will cost you MORE money in the end.
Last edited by 33tetragammon on Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:52 pm

thx for both of your responses...both have merits.

jamief

Post by jamief » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:49 pm

I have stuck with Genelec 8030,s after having used adam and krk's . In my opinion the Genelecs provide musicality and clarity for mixing and composing with and they work perfectly fine wothout the sub giving great bass response/impression again when mixing and mastering and composing.

best :)

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:58 pm

I have the HS-80's no sub and I have the bass rolloff 1 click less bass, to my taste it's plenty, I used to mix records on NS-10's and check the bass on headphones and get good results, knowing your system is key. Too much bass in too small a room = trouble, the waves will start folding back, peaks valleys comb filtering.

The HS-80's are not supertight (ported speakers never are) but big club and rave systems aren't supertight either so that might be a good thing. You can put socks or foam in the ports to tighten the bass (read that in Sound on Sound it'll be less but tighter.
Last edited by djsynchro on Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rekloos

Post by rekloos » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:31 pm

you can definitely get away with 5in woofers no sub, granted ur room is treated and not too big but
having that sub in there to at least check that low end in your mix is worth it - unless you do not
work with those frequencies but i have a feeling you do.....

i have 8in woofers in my setup and it's great, i like that extra 'heaviness' when working on music but i also have a sub for the reason explained above.
rekloos presents: BASS KULTURE : all things dubwise ! Every Sunday @12PM / Fridays @6PM(EST):
http://radio614.org/

dub album out now on juno&beatport:
http://bit.ly/S26jun
http://bit.ly/SS26bp

running with scissors.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:27 pm

I got the HS80s at guitar center used at a steal. I listened to them very carefully to make sure they were in good shape and they are fine. I also tested the sub and it was very boomy. I didn't need it.

All in all tons of clarity and details. Truly representative of the tagline "if it sounds good on these, it will sound good anywhere."

gunforhire

Post by gunforhire » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:52 pm

Try to compare different price levels at your local store. I'd advice you to compare the hs-50/80, adam a7/a8 and the genelecs 8030/8040. I personally believe saving for some months will repay you in some way. I did that and bought the 8040s, because in store they really showed me the difference between a muddy and a tight kick-drum (I produce techno). Go check for yourself and listen! Never buy anything without listening to it.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:33 pm

^ I did exactly that. While I liked the Adams, I felt the Yamahas were the most revealing.

Rave

Post by Rave » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:07 pm

Congrats onthe purchase. Monitors are a personal thing. Glad u r happy with your purchase :)

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:27 pm

^well it's a learning process, and learning to deal with that much more clarity is a whole new perspective! I can only imagine what would happen if I could afford your Genelecs ;) Then again, I wouldn't be able to deal with the stress of having Neb Jr. anywhere near those Genelecs. Speaking of which, when we come over for a visit, make sure you pack those away :P

jamief

Post by jamief » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:08 pm

nebulae wrote:^well it's a learning process, and learning to deal with that much more clarity is a whole new perspective! I can only imagine what would happen if I could afford your Genelecs ;) Then again, I wouldn't be able to deal with the stress of having Neb Jr. anywhere near those Genelecs. Speaking of which, when we come over for a visit, make sure you pack those away :P
The Genelecs are cast metal and solid ( some sort of alloy) and the speakers have grills on them. Quite utiltarean in design, practical, good performance and very durable. Almost military spec in a way regarding the durability point. The weakest point of the wholedesign i could see would be the tweeters or main speakers themselves blowing although i havent broken any and havent heard of anyone who has.
The Adams on the other hand for the price A7,s i felt were rather poor in comparison on build quality and for me there was an obvious quality increase audio wise with switching the Adams to Genelecs. I was using them side by side for a couple of months in the studio so compared them a lot till the point the adams were disregarded and Genelecs were always on and eventually became my tool of choice. The Adams were good better then the Krk's which i also ran side by side for a couple of months but overall Genelecs were my favourites
My kids rarely get into my studio as they immediately start plinkty plonking about with equipment. They are 4 and 5 and get very excited by all the knobs etc etc :D

best
:)

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:12 pm

^I would never have considered expensive monitors when Neb Jr. was younger. He's almost 9 now, so it's all good now. Regardless. the Yamahas made the best impression to my ears. Fortunately, they're tons less money too.

misiu

Post by misiu » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:59 am

have you listened to the H50's?
imo they lack bass... but then again the room's acoustics matter a lot...

have a listen to the KRK Rokit 5 or 6 inch. I'm really happy with mine.

in the end of the day, choose your monitoring system by listening to your ears and taste. and wallet of course =)
good luck!