Question Regarding Fruityloops 5, Rewire, and Live 4

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
starving student

Question Regarding Fruityloops 5, Rewire, and Live 4

Post by starving student » Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:35 pm

is anybody having problems getting FL5 to start and stop with Live 4 while in rewire mode, i'm just trying to get my patterns in Fl to start and stop when i press play and stop in live, maybe im missing something but isn't rewire suppose to make this possible or do i just have it wrong?

basetwo

Post by basetwo » Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:45 pm

I tried loading Live first and then loading the trial of FL5 so I could send midi to its synthesizers, etc. as a rewire slave and I never could get it to work. I could only ever see the FL5 page, and I could never get sound out.

I basically just gave up on it. Didn't have time to track down what the issue was.
The question is not whether or not you are influenced, but rather what it is that influences you.
-----
Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra-939/AMD 64
Seagate 80Gb/Samsung 120Gb SATA
1GB RAM/Delta 66/Firebox
32bit WinXP

starving student

Post by starving student » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:16 pm

i see, but i'm not even trying to send midi out to fruity loops, i thought rewire meant that it started and stopped the same time as the master application, isn't that how reason works?

basetwo

Post by basetwo » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:25 pm

Rewire will allow audio, midi, and other information (such as start/stop of sequencers, like what you are talking about) to be exchanged between the master and slave applications. In the case of Reason, though, it's not capable of taking audio from Live, so some of it depends on the application.

I use Reason Adapted's Redrum and NN19 modules to generate audio from midi that is then fed back into live. My experiment with FL5 was an attempt at replacing Reason Adapted to see how it sounded.

Rewire is much more than just synchronization and start/stop.

Of course, I don't know squat about FL5. I'm still learning this stuff myself. :wink:
The question is not whether or not you are influenced, but rather what it is that influences you.
-----
Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra-939/AMD 64
Seagate 80Gb/Samsung 120Gb SATA
1GB RAM/Delta 66/Firebox
32bit WinXP

futureproof

Post by futureproof » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:45 pm

FL5 rewired into Live4 works for me. ...thank god because the vsti of FL doesnt work at all and hangs Live.

not to state the obvious but are you:
1. starting Live first then FL?
2. choosing the FL input on a Live audio track?
3. turning that tracks monitor on?

thats all I have to do to ge them working together.
"THE biggest differences between Live 3 & 4 are the things that Live 4 have that are missing in Live 3"

-some dude on KVR.

starving student

Post by starving student » Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:59 am

future proof and all thanks for responding, yeah i can do all of that, and i'm capable of getting sound from fl5 into Live, what i'm not capable of is having a pattern in fruity say pattern 1, lets say an 8bar step sequence starting and stopping when i press play in Live and stop in Live? my question is can you get them to start and stop in sync?