controlling a device with sysex and low latency - possible?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
mr.ergonomics

controlling a device with sysex and low latency - possible?

Post by mr.ergonomics » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:05 am

hello,
first I have some programming skills, but I`m still a maxforlive newbie.

my goal
I want to create a controlling layer for my padkontrol to map some important functions to it. I want to use it a bit like NI maschine (that means I need two or more shift functions for all buttons).

what I know
The padkontrol has a "native mode" in which all buttons send out sysex and can revive sysex to toggle the leds. Therefore I need to convert the sysex into midi and send out sysex to the padkontrol to use them in live. I want to use it as a drum controller, therefore timing/low latency is very important.
padkontrol(sysex out) -> control layer and convert to midi -> live midi-in

or

padkontrol(sysex out) -> live -> m4l device -> send the resulting midi to a midi-track in live
I've searched the forum about the max4live sysex problem and the workaround, but even after reading it twice I don't get exactly what the situation is. Before I invest some serious time to understand all this I want to make sure I have chosen the right way.

question
So I ask myself if maxforlive is right for this task or if I should chose a different program like bomes and use it as "a real layer" between my padkontrol and live.
padkontrol->bomes->live

or
padkontrol->live (using max4live to deal with the sysex and logic)
Actually I would prefer to use maxforlive (..a good reason to get deeper into max and I wouldn't have to buy bomes), but my priority is a good working solution regardless of the tools.

best regards

amounra93

Re: controlling a device with sysex and low latency - possible?

Post by amounra93 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:25 am

Leigh Hunt has created externals that allow direct access to MIDI ports via m4l.

http://web.mac.com/leighhunt/iWeb/Site/downloads.html

Cheers :)

edit:: sorry, since you are using Bomes, I guess you are on PC. The above externals only work on OSX. There is another solution that some of us came up with utilizing Python scripts, but I don't know how fast it is (I haven't needed to test it extensively). The solution I've been using with Monomod users on PC utilizes the ~VST object in MAX to wrap a midiOut plugin (freeware VST plugin, google it), which is capable of directly communicating with any external MIDI port. This is currently the best solution for what you are trying to accomplish in my opinion. The next best solution at present is probably to use OSC, and create an stand-alone application with Max to communicate directly with the ports connected to your Korg.
http://www.aumhaa.com for Monomod and other m4l goodies.

mr.ergonomics

Re: controlling a device with sysex and low latency - possible?

Post by mr.ergonomics » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:21 am

yep, pc here. thanks for your answer!