ABLETON LIVE AID!! Lets do something

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
forge

ABLETON LIVE AID!! Lets do something

Post by forge » Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:37 pm

to save typing it out again....

go to the bottom of this post...

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 5620#85620

ct43

Post by ct43 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:02 pm

forge wrote:Just like to throw my spanner in the works.....

I was shocked and deeply affected by the Tsunami like everyone, but while this tragedy shocked everyone into giving more than ever before, something that really concerns me is that the number of people who died as a result of this natural disaster die EVERY 3 DAYS worldwide as a result of UNNECESSARY poverty, many of them children. This is not a one off freak of nature but an on going result of greedy human behaviour that can actually be changed but isn't. The thing that concerns me is that it seems to take a major shocking headline worthy event to prompt any action - we should actually be responding like this to world poverty itself.

Might sound like an odd thing to say but had you the choice would you rather be in the places where the tidal wave happened or a poor villager in the Sudan where people are routinely tortured and intentionally raped by AIDS infected soldiers - and this is AS WELL AS conditions of terrible poverty, malnutrition, poor education etc etc. Somehow I just think it would be easier to rationalise a natural disaster than it would be to be the victim of sheer evil from other human beings while the governments who are in a position to do anything about it are spending enough money to solve world poverty on invading Iraq to steal their oil. Obviously I would rather not be either, I'm just trying to say that the tidal wave grabbed the headlines and I'm hoping alot of people who have given generously to that don’t now feel they've done their good deed for the year and leave it at that.

as has been touched on in other responses here - this is our wake up call. We are at a point in history where governments have now proven beyond any shadow of doubt (with Iraq more than anything) that human interests are bottom of their agenda - the events of recent times are the call out to us in the comfortable west to snap out of it and really sort ourselves out. The unnecessary suffering on this planet is so far beyond acceptable it is surreal - after growing up thinking myself a decent person in a supposedly decent society I now realise that it's not enough to just care any more, action is needed.

Dont know if anyone in the UK saw the Vicar of Dibley NYD special, but Dawn French really hit the nail on the head - although I have been giving alot of thought to the fact that it really is in the hands of the people to change things anyway - especially since the sheer horror of the Iraq invasion and then watching with sheer bewilderment when GWB got voted BACK IN????!!!!. If governments aren't held accountable by people showing their disgust they have proven they cant be trusted to do anything decent - it really is up to us to make change happen. They got the guns but we got the numbers... :wink:

So for those who didn’t see the vicar of dibley she was talking about MAKING POVERTY HISTORY

www.makepovertyhistory.org

My girlfriend and I have ordered 20 of the wristbands – we would have got more but we’d at least like to try to get others to take the initiative themselves – as it says on the websites you can wear them on your trainers, lapel or on your rear view mirror, even on your website! doesn’t have to be your wrist the important thing is to just wear them – the idea being the more it spreads so does the awareness and the more strength it gathers.

Next to the relevance to this forum:

As Rikhray said – there are a lot of passionate people here and Spiderprod was talking about getting together a compilation for US to make money, but in light of all this I would much rather contribute a tune to a fundraiser compilation – ABLETON LIVE AID!!!! Lets do it guys, there’s loads of talent round here and I’m sure we can come up with something and I personally would do what I can to get it off the ground!
I agree with everything you have said there Forge, maybe an "Abelton Live Aid" CD could be made into a regular thing, maybe yearly or something. Ableton themselves might be interested in this, if not theres no reason why we couldnt sort this out between us (with a lot of organisation).

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:08 pm

i will definately donate tracks i have done, and i'm sure any of the artists i have remixed would be fine with lending those tracks to a worthy cause.

-am

forge

Post by forge » Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:28 pm

cool - I guess once we see how long the first one takes then we can get an idea of how regular

ABES IF YOU'RE OUT THERE - ANY COMMENTS??

Amberience

Post by Amberience » Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:34 pm

I'd like to donate a track I composed. Not just as some exposure for myself, but also as a message to whomever listens to it.

http://www.electromancer.com/showTrack. ... 1102093601

I used a sample by William S. Burroughs talking about his thoughts on the atom bomb, and a TV documentary he saw on it.

The sample itself is probably illegal, but I don't care. His words are too important to be dismissed as theft on my part.

mcconaghy

Post by mcconaghy » Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:35 pm

I'm in.

Amberience

Post by Amberience » Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:44 pm

I'm in too for a new composition.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:26 pm

i'll give a track for sure.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:50 pm

I'm sure my band wouldn't mind contributing a track, made for the occasion.

forge

Post by forge » Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:56 pm

Amberience wrote:I'm in too for a new composition.
Yeah I'm thinking I'll probably do one specifically for the purpose!

Well, Like I said, I'm willing to do whatever I can to get this moving even if it just means being email contact and first port of call or whatever...

So how we going to do this? Adam you've got a catalogue as long as my arm - does that mean you're fairly well connected on the distribution front ? Do you, or does anyone else have a label they want to put it on?

I know Spiderprod mentioned doing a compilation

If anyone has any tracks to submit if you dont have the webspace I have a little if just to get them online for those of us involved to check them out...

PM me for my current email address if anyone wants to email or PM me, or even email a tune for me to upload and I'll email the link privately to those involved

I'll email the Abes, (although previous hairbrained schemes such as Ableton Radio never got a reply!) so maybe if they get a few emails we might get a reply this time!

:wink:

great to hear the response, lets make it happen!
Last edited by forge on Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ct43

Post by ct43 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:16 pm

ive been thinking about this and im not sure what the best way would be to go about things, obviosly giving tracks is the easy part... im thinking either

1. We convinse Ableton to release a CD with them taking care of everything else. I think it would be good for them in terms of PR / Aversting or showing what could be done with the software, even if they didnt have a charitablle motivations (which im sure they would), all the profits would go to a selected charity.

2. Somebody acts as A&R and collects suitable tracks for the CD, then goes to a record label and tries to sell them the idea, we could ask Ableton if we could use thier graphics / logo on the packaging and possibly get the product endorsed by them. Depending on what label was involved maybe they would give 100% profit to a charity or maybe they would keep a percentage.

3. Somebody stumps up the cash to press a CD, promote it on and offline, create a web site selling the CD (also have piad for downloads), possibly get it sold through traditional distribution channels and / or possibly direct with some shops / online records stores. Whoever put up the money would have the option of how much of it goes to charity.

4. As above but instead of creating a CD we just do the downloadable option and sell the tracks for say 1 pound each or 5 pounds for the whole album (or whatever).

I think all the options have good & bad points, obviosly the 4th one would be probably the quickest to achieve, but might or might not raise as much cash.

What do you all think?

ct43

Post by ct43 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:17 pm

:oops:

was typing my post while Forge posted his

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:34 pm

guys, i'm completely in.
selecting a track of mine and giving it for free won't be a problem. i've got an indian influenced one that should fit.
concerning the way it might be released, i think i won't be of much help, even though i can speak about it to the couple of labels i know.

shall we get all the tracks together on some webspace, so that we would be able to have an idea of what the whole thing looks like, and if some of us can burn a CD and submit it to some labels, we could at least get a first feel and hopefully get something going on.

what do you think? does anyone here have enough webspace so that we can upload our track to him?

forge

Post by forge » Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:49 pm

ct43 wrote::oops:

was typing my post while Forge posted his
:P

just to add....

5. CD Baby or similar - they will do all the pressing etc, we just have to provide the music and artwork (there's designey types out there too who mabe able to help with design ...... Martyn??) :wink:

Rahlo

Post by Rahlo » Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:08 am

Yo, mos def count me in. I can do a new track or rhyme on a track if somebody needs an emcee.
peace,

rahlo
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.rahlo.com

MacBook Pro, Live 8, Reason 4, Akai MPD 32, Akai MPK 49, Akai APC 40, Metric Halo ULN-2 expanded, Apogee Duet.