Holy Sh*t - Maschine update 1.6 brings VST/AU hosting !

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
delicioso

Re: Holy Sh*t - Maschine update 1.6 brings VST/AU hosting !

Post by delicioso » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:38 pm

ewistrand wrote:
delicioso wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:I wouldn't really want to load an instance of kontakt just for a loop, would much rather that be built right in, since that would mean you can stick to the hardware completely. As soon as you load kontakt or another plug-in, you can no longer use just the hardware.
I'm not sure what you mean. Why would that mean that you couldn't stick to the hardware completely? We don't know how the new plugin support is going to work entirely but from the screenshot it looks as though you get Pages of plugin parameter controls directly inside Maschine, at least for NI plugins.
I'll have to wait and see how it's implemented, but you might have to switch the controller into MIDI mode for controlling plugins; what's showing in the screenshot looks like the MIDI template for Massive. It all depends on how the third party integration's implemented.
Yeah but even if we had to put it in MIDI mode that's still sticking completely within the hardware.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:54 pm

delicioso wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:I wouldn't really want to load an instance of kontakt just for a loop, would much rather that be built right in, since that would mean you can stick to the hardware completely. As soon as you load kontakt or another plug-in, you can no longer use just the hardware.
I'm not sure what you mean. Why would that mean that you couldn't stick to the hardware completely? We don't know how the new plugin support is going to work entirely but from the screenshot it looks as though you get Pages of plugin parameter controls directly inside Maschine, at least for NI plugins.
What I mean is that with the built-in sampler, you can load a sample, slice and do all edits from the hardware. If you load Kontakt, you're now using the mouse and computer. It will simply not be possible to have all the editing, slicing and kontakt commands be able to be done from the Maschine hardware interface (or any other plug-ins). I imagine that you will be able to assign parameters to macros in Maschine from plug-ins much like you can with Kore, so you'll be able to tweak selected plug-in parameters, but I'm talking about actually loading the sample, and setting up and doing everything.
delicioso wrote: Yeah but even if we had to put it in MIDI mode that's still sticking completely within the hardware.
Nope, won't be possible to stick to just hardware with plug-ins. Especially with Kontakt which is modular. Everything will have to be assigned manually first (Host automation IDs aren't even assigned to Kontakt beforehand). It'll be like Kore, plug-ins have to navigated normally and parameters assigned. Although I wouldn't doubt that a few macros might be set up for some plug-ins in advance like with Massive's macros, as is the case in Kore.
Professional Shark Jumper.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:15 am

I see what you mean about certain plugins requiring you to use a mouse/trackpad. Another reason I'm glad I have the Magic Trackpad now as it makes using the computer feel more like an iOS multitouch interface rather than the typical mouse/trackpad clickaroo, especially with the 3 finger drag. So yeah, working strictly inside Maschine with built-in features will be the best for efficiency and immediacy but I can also see how preconfigured macros/custom templates for certain plugins could get pretty close to feeling like you're using hardware and will make things much more streamlined by not having to switch to a DAW just to use plugins.

pheilus

Post by pheilus » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:15 pm

Do any of you Realize that everyone on this forum keeps bitching about ableton being more DAW like logic, cubase..etc
so when they add all that bullshit...it gets fucking buggy and it make ableton less of a live too and more dj software and DAW bullshit.
now all of you are complaining that ableton is not more of a live tool again. now you want it more like maschine.

you people are retards on here.. half of you dont know what the hell you are feature requesting.

ableton needs to go back to being a live tool and people should support that...if you want DAW use logic/cubase.
ableton need to be more fucking innovative and less copying the trend bullshit. but they lost innovation with share, max4live, partner bullshit

all you can hate if you want.... the reality and truth is ableton has and is falling off.....

condra

Post by condra » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:20 pm

pheilus wrote:RAH RAH RAH RAH RAH RAH RAH! RABBA RAHHHH RAH! SO RAHHH!... ALL OF YOU

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:58 pm

pheilus wrote:Do any of you Realize that everyone on this forum keeps bitching about ableton being more DAW like logic, cubase..etc
so when they add all that bullshit...it gets fucking buggy and it make ableton less of a live too and more dj software and DAW bullshit.
now all of you are complaining that ableton is not more of a live tool again. now you want it more like maschine.

you people are retards on here.. half of you dont know what the hell you are feature requesting.

ableton needs to go back to being a live tool and people should support that...if you want DAW use logic/cubase.
ableton need to be more fucking innovative and less copying the trend bullshit. but they lost innovation with share, max4live, partner bullshit

all you can hate if you want.... the reality and truth is ableton has and is falling off.....
You're missing one rather important and quite obvious thing. People use Live for different reasons and some people want it to be more of a Live tool and some want to use it as their' only program. Adding Bezier curves won't magically make it less of a performance tool. That's why there's 2 modes, session and timeline. None of this has anything to do with what Maschine offers that is unique. One is the hardware interaction which makes it feel like using a groovebox and not starring at a computer. The other is excellent recording and looping functionality like recording parameter automation into clips. People have wanted this since the start of live, regardless of whether they are people who want better live performance ability or better DAW functions. And Maschine has it now. If Live had this it wouldn't be following some silly trend or "copying", it is something everyone wants. Same with more hardware control. We see this with things like Mackie control and Novation automap. The APC40 was a step in that direction for performance, but Maschine just really nailed it because it allows not just performance but creating kits and composing entirely from hardware. This is where things are heading more and more and it is perfectly sensible for people to want this of Live. It is not strange at all that people are requesting these things at the same time as wanting DAW features like bezier curves and the recent midi improvements, it makes it all together a better program.

Everything in your post is completely incoherent.

Nick Shepherd

Post by Nick Shepherd » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:43 pm

i wholeheartedly agree with everything above :mrgreen:

but yea, somebody will allways find something to bitch about - and doesnt even have to make sense ^^

casiblake

Post by casiblake » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:29 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:People use Live for different reasons and some people want it to be more of a Live tool and some want to use it as their' only program.
Count me in for the latter, nice post man. But back on topic, Maschine has always looked like a techno/hip-hop live producer/performer's tool to me. Of course, other genres, but with that kind of MPC-ish mindset.

Even with VST hosting, I struggle to see how this could pull me away from composing in Live's arrange view using my boring old "traditional" methods.
-- Blake Casimir : Melodic Space Techno / Electro / Ambient Galaxies --
Bandcamp Orbital Station / Soundcloud Nebula / Warp Portal Homepage

Nick Shepherd

Post by Nick Shepherd » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:36 pm

uhhh here we go again.

NI have updated the 1.6 feature set:

http://native-instruments.com/forum/sho ... hp?t=80682

New and improved features:

* Plugin hosting for VST/AU instruments and effects
* Increased number of effect slots (3 per Sound, 4 per Group, 4 on Master)
* New "Pad Link" function with 8 pad groups and Master/Slave option
* Individual swing setting per sound
* Clip naming
* Sample renaming
* Improved scene duplication
* External audio input/output increased to 16 stereo channels
* Improved Drag&Drop mapping for samples
* Improved Drag&Drop from OS for Maschine files and audio files
* Drag&Drop rearrangement of scenes and patterns
* Snap-to-grid when moving events via mouse
* VST plugin operation under Mac OS X 64bit
* Rex import under Mac OS X 64bit

some very sweet stuff upcomming :) really looking forward to the public beta !

Rationalizer

Post by Rationalizer » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:53 pm

Yeah, now they promise 16 i/o so I stick to using Maschine as a vst plugin in live. Don't want to f*ck up my workflow and I hope the future bugginess of Maschine is mostly limited to the standalone version.
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:07 pm

Rationalizer wrote:I hope the future bugginess of Maschine is mostly limited to the standalone version.
Huh? What makes you think future versions of Machine will be buggy?

Rationalizer

Post by Rationalizer » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:12 pm

humnumb wrote:
Rationalizer wrote:I hope the future bugginess of Maschine is mostly limited to the standalone version.
Well, let's just say that I'm highly sceptical that vst support and stability goes hand in hand. Let's hope I'm wrong, eh.
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:14 pm

Rationalizer wrote:
humnumb wrote:
Well, let's just say that I'm highly sceptical that vst support and stability goes hand in hand. Let's hope I'm wrong, eh.
It hasn't hurt with Kore. Actually I've even found some plug-ins have behaved better when loaded in Kore than directly in Live.

taoyoyo

Post by taoyoyo » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:35 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote: It hasn't hurt with Kore. Actually I've even found some plug-ins have behaved better when loaded in Kore than directly in Live.
I've had the same thing here... Largo was the last one I noticed.
http://taoyoyo.com

Late 2011 15" Macbook Pro | 10.8.4 | RME Babyface

Lazos

Post by Lazos » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:37 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
abluesky wrote:I understand that there is a difference in workflow and hardware integration between MASCHINE and LIVE.

Besides workflow and hardware integration, what can MASCHINE do that LIVE cannot?
Record parameter automation in loops, real-time.
Undo your recorded loops. Or delete parts of your recorded loops in real-time selectively.
I may just have get this 8) I really need a good quality performance controller with drum pads and EVERYTHING besides Maschine just looks so fugly and cheap I want to cry.

Question, though: Can you record your loops on Maschine without a click? That is, set the master tempo like Looper can? This would be the deal breaker for me.