NAMM 2011 :: Ableton Live 9

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
friend_kami

Re: NAMM 2011 :: Ableton Live 9

Post by friend_kami » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:55 am

alex.the.forge wrote:
friend_kami wrote:
alex.the.forge wrote:
Soundclound isn't really in the same league as myspace and is fast becoming industry standard for sending tracks to labels both as demos and as masters for labels to release.
it is?
you sure about that?
well I can only speak from my own personal experience, but certainly in dance music it seems to be becoming pretty common for labels to accept demos via their soundcloud drop boxes and the label I've been releasing tracks on also usually asks for a soundcloud link of the master once they've picked it up.

The big difference it has over myspace is that you can send full quality audio files while myspace only allowed shitty compressed versions.

I just think that it might not actually be a huge difficulty if they are already implementing their share feature that they could work out some kind of add-on that allows you to upload straight to soundcloud, maybe in a similar way to how soundcloud lets you post your new tracks to facebook, myspace and twitter at the same time. And who's to say it couldn't do it to them as well? I don't think it's a really huge process to implement that, so if it isn't then why not do it?

It would certainly make my life that little bit easier because I seem to be spending a lot of time rendering/looking for files/converting to mp3/looking for files again/uploading etc etc lately.

[EDIT] - oh well there you go, it looks semi official:
Poster wrote:
Jarvisimon wrote:Where is this "soundcloud" stuff coming from? Is it rumour or fact?
last year fact..
http://soundcloud.com/press/releases/20 ... oad-to-web
i just have a folder in my user library called "upload" which is separated by type + it contains a temporary folder for temporary upload-once-then-forget type situations. although those tends to end up on the desktop then cleared right away.

id personally take actual software features that immideatly affects my creative results, my workflow and my composition, then somehting that affects my work after it has been bounced and rendered, as this is actually what i use live for. there are a million and one ways of encoding and uploading soundfiles to soundcloud, and although i guess that someone might find it usefula nd it will make their life easier, its not enough reason to impliment this at this point, considering the huge feature resquests since the release of 8 and 7, some of which have been requested several times in several different locations (multimonitor useage and proper automation, for example).

time will tell what will happen though, but yeah. soundcloud support seems pretty far down on the list for me anyways.

esky

Post by esky » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:05 am

tigali wrote:
esky wrote: Goddamn, i don't want to share my music with millions, i want to sell it... :)
Then you're gonna need a fuckin time machine pal. And to make any serious money, it better have a 1970's button.
:) ...you're damn right mate. Anyway, my first thought was "well that's helpful for their business, but for mine...?"

CFM

Post by CFM » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:47 am

“Goddamn, i don't want to share my music with millions, i want to sell it... ”

I’ve only just got into the soundcloud thing… so I assume with soundcloud you can’t sell your tracks unlike bandcamp? If so it’s OK if you want to give away your music. However that just fuels the generation which believe not don’t have to pay for music.

tigali

Post by tigali » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:42 am

I'm afraid the truth of the matter is, the only people who pay for music these days are people who a) just aren't aware of how much free (legal) music there is readily available or b) people who are slow to change habits and are still using CDs. Outside of some obscure stuff that might make people want to support the artist the fact is, if I wanna hear any genre I can imagine, there are free to download dj sets/mixes all over the place. Just take a quick look.
Yesterday I downloaded 3 one hour techno DJ sets from a website. Free. That's over three hours of quality (IMO) music for nothing. The day before I downloaded a "WTF is Post Dubstep" mix from a magazine website (again another hour and a bit). I listen to new music practically every day but I can't remember the last time I paid for it (and I don't do illegal downloads).

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:17 am

CFM wrote:“Goddamn, i don't want to share my music with millions, i want to sell it... ”

I’ve only just got into the soundcloud thing… so I assume with soundcloud you can’t sell your tracks unlike bandcamp? If so it’s OK if you want to give away your music. However that just fuels the generation which believe not don’t have to pay for music.
you don't have to make them downloadable and you can provide links to bandcamp or whatever..

i prefer to give people the choice of whether to pay what they like or download for free. it's surprising how many are willing to give a few pounds for an album :D

neil.

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:29 am

tigali wrote:I'm afraid the truth of the matter is, the only people who pay for music these days are people who a) just aren't aware of how much free (legal) music there is readily available or b) people who are slow to change habits and are still using CDs. Outside of some obscure stuff that might make people want to support the artist the fact is, if I wanna hear any genre I can imagine, there are free to download dj sets/mixes all over the place. Just take a quick look.
Yesterday I downloaded 3 one hour techno DJ sets from a website. Free. That's over three hours of quality (IMO) music for nothing. The day before I downloaded a "WTF is Post Dubstep" mix from a magazine website (again another hour and a bit). I listen to new music practically every day but I can't remember the last time I paid for it (and I don't do illegal downloads).
hmm. i don't think that's the case (the highlighted part).

i pay for music all the time. i know there's loads of free and very good music available to legally download, but there's also lots of great stuff that isn't free.

also, i like having cds and vinyl which obviously cost money.

if i'd stuck to listening to only free music over (for example) the past 12 months, i'd have missed out on some of the most astonishing music i've ever heard (imo).

neil.

Jarvisimon

Post by Jarvisimon » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:43 am

Poster wrote:
Jarvisimon wrote:Where is this "soundcloud" stuff coming from? Is it rumour or fact?
last year fact..
http://soundcloud.com/press/releases/20 ... oad-to-web
Fair enough, though I don't think it should be up there on the new features list considering it's not a music making tool.

Though yes, it is a feature and it would be new to Ableton but I wouldn't buy it because of a soundcloud uploader....i'm a soundclick person anyway.

tigali

Post by tigali » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:18 pm

macmurphy wrote:
hmm. i don't think that's the case (the highlighted part).

i pay for music all the time. i know there's loads of free and very good music available to legally download, but there's also lots of great stuff that isn't free.

also, i like having cds and vinyl which obviously cost money.

if i'd stuck to listening to only free music over (for example) the past 12 months, i'd have missed out on some of the most astonishing music i've ever heard (imo).

neil.
I actually agree with you (apart from the bit in bold).

mr.ergonomics

Post by mr.ergonomics » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:39 pm

fx23 wrote:mmmmm

well, of course i don't care they add that if we still get the more important stuff. But i would be really surprised if they do so.
same request 2 years ago would be adressed to myspace. 3rd party web is something that evolve ultra fast.remember Napster.
of course if the thing is just enter an upgradable ftp adress, login and user pass it's easy to make it evolve, but it's as well so
easy for us to just open the browser and take 5m to upload to whatever site we want, i can't see what's so boring in that.
seriously, just press Alt-tab or open your web browser take 5 seconds.
and you don't upload every day do you? then why not ask live to direcltly burn to CDs too? then to print covers and so on.

they have many, many other things, even simples one to adress first before this one imo.

+1000

time you need for making music = 99,9%
time you need for publishing = 0.1%

I need a good tool for the 99,9%...

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:58 am

mr.ergonomics wrote:
fx23 wrote:mmmmm

well, of course i don't care they add that if we still get the more important stuff. But i would be really surprised if they do so.
same request 2 years ago would be adressed to myspace. 3rd party web is something that evolve ultra fast.remember Napster.
of course if the thing is just enter an upgradable ftp adress, login and user pass it's easy to make it evolve, but it's as well so
easy for us to just open the browser and take 5m to upload to whatever site we want, i can't see what's so boring in that.
seriously, just press Alt-tab or open your web browser take 5 seconds.
and you don't upload every day do you? then why not ask live to direcltly burn to CDs too? then to print covers and so on.

they have many, many other things, even simples one to adress first before this one imo.

+1000

time you need for making music = 99,9%

Sorry to repeat myself but I could not resist.
+1

- Best
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:43 pm

mr.ergonomics wrote:time you need for making music = 99,9%

0.1% on publishing? If you actually want to get anywhere and judging by alot of the crap thats out there - Id say more like 0.1% on production and 99.9% on publishing and bullshitting (erm I mean 'promotion') etc.
Nothing to see here - move along!

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:47 pm

Angstrom wrote:I have no interest in soundcloud integration.
The concept behind (and the usefulness of) Share is completely different.
+1 - just because it aint hard to manually upload. However it more of a pain the the arse firing up an mp3 converter.

If you want to add a useful additional export function - make it a quality mp3 export - tha I can then trivially upload to soundcloud, bandcamp and anywhere else for that matter if I choose to.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:12 pm

Mister36 wrote:Would legato mode with quantization set to 1/2 bar (assuming you're working in 4/4) not do what you want?

Or maybe using two additional clip slots, one with the first two beats of the original and the last two of the new one which follows to play a full new one after one play? Where the original clip is the one you want to still be playing until the new, 3rd beat clip starts. Although obviously not necessarily an "on the fly" solution.

As for the Looper issues, I haven't experienced any of them. Yet... :/
There are a few ways to deal with this:

Assuming you want global quantize of 1 bar, and you want to trigger on the 4th beat with a legato-like pickup.
(This means all of you loop clips are multiple of a bar length.)

You could enable legato and set the clip quantize to 1 beat - I am however assuming that people dont want to have to locally quantize to 1 beat beat of other stuff they want to do - typically when you want to do this, there may be alot of control tweaking going on - end of a build up for eg.

You could take a copy of the previous clip and give it a follow action at 0.3.0 to launch the next clip. If both are in legato mode, then you will get a seemless transition to the new clip on the 4th beat rather than start of the next bar as follow action times seem to override quantize settings.
You could achieve the same audio result as the above by actually consolidating the result of the above as a new clip.

The problem with both of these is they have to be pre-defined *extras* clips rather than allowing a spontaneous change of the use of existing clips (unless you go for a lower local quantize setting).

I would definately vote for a quantize offset (+ or -) that would have the effect of triggered bar quantized stuff on a specific beat for example.

Should copy this back into the L9 feature thread not that I cold ever imagine anyone who defines features for L9 actually reading it... :)

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:21 pm

friend_kami wrote:but the looper was the biggest marketing machine for live 8, and it doesnt work. that and share was the top features that was announced with 8 and share isnt even buggy; its cancelled completely and was even in a beta state upon release, but customers were not informed about this, until after purchase.
Funny I have never actually used looper (perhaps I should give it a try) and while I have a soundcloud premium or pro or whatever they call it this month account, and I do work remotely with someone all the time, I actually cant ever imagin using either a share facility or any kind of auto-upload - so both were about the bottom of L8 suite features of interest for me (but hey Im just a user - wtf do I know compared to these marketting gurus? ;))

We use drop box for sharing projects, but actually thats mostly a waste of time too as we dont have identical plugins, so in the end we share the old fashioned way - exporting individual track and stems as audio files and syncing thos up via drop box.

And as far as soundclound type built in uplods go - actually I want to preview the exported master and the encoded version before it goes anywhere as often while a fraction too much limiting can sound fine in live and on the exported master wav and on CD players etc - it can turn an mp3 like encoding to distorted shit, especially if the encoder is poor - and often I count the soundcloud encoder as poor.

Bizon

Post by Bizon » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:02 pm

Khazul wrote:
mr.ergonomics wrote:time you need for making music = 99,9%

0.1% on publishing? If you actually want to get anywhere and judging by alot of the crap thats out there - Id say more like 0.1% on production and 99.9% on publishing and bullshitting (erm I mean 'promotion') etc.
I would tend to agree more with this statement. Although the percentage would be higher obviously.

I am not yet at a position to market my stuff because I do not think it is “good enough” yet. However, when the time comes, I plan to spend a lot of time and many different methods to promote my music. I imagine a great more time spent on promotion/bullshit than music making.

I guess this would also go a long way to explain why there is so much shitty music out there and conversely, probably as much good music that is sitting on peoples drives.