Follw actions on scenes

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:03 pm

F*ck off, both of you guys! You, too, Conny! :wink:

You guys all make me think too much, and I don't have enough brains cells left! :?

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:43 pm

:lol: Rolling on the floor laughing my ass off

You should have seen me at Christmas dinner trying to explain the benefits of this trick to all of my relatives after a few drinks...

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:48 pm

I'm a bit of a newbie to this and have tryed hard to work it out.

I understand I have play the keys in the midi column but how do I get the signal to trigger the scene. Someone mentions using IAC, do I access that through untilities.

I'm using 10.4 OSX, Ableton 5.0.3 and a BCR2000

Please help, maybe some pics?

Thanks

TheAnimal

Post by TheAnimal » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:24 am

Open the program "Audio MIDI Setup". Double-click on IAC Driver and check "Device is online" to activate IAC. (I guess IAC stands for inter application communication, but I'm not shure.) From now on the IAC driver shows up in Live's Midi/Sync preferences dialog. There turn on remote input and track output for the IAC driver. Then in the track that sends the remote commands set "Midi To" to" IAC Driver" and Bob's your uncle.

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:53 am

How do I add more clips in the midi column inorder to control more clip scenes?

Thanks for the tip above I'm really churning now.

conny

Post by conny » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:19 pm

hambone1 wrote: You guys all make me think too much, and I don't have enough brains cells left! :?
Well, I'm finding myself in the position that I don't know anymore what I talked about in this and that tips and trix thread. Embarrising when one is asked to explain. Maybe those few sparks of ideas burned out the rest of the brain!

// C
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/

Dominik

Post by Dominik » Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:04 pm

first off all... Happy!!! New Year
The second...I try to do the step to work in Session View. And I follow... with interest some threads around it. I came to the point that one thing is important. To save CPU Ressources I want to Enable/Disable Plugins or instruments in the time. With that I'm able to run more instruments, not all at once but when it's necessary.I see in connys nice Session- scene_follows that the Clips in Track 6 Trigger other Tracks-Clips(with Midi-Yoke). My Question:

Can I Trigger ON and Off's off Plugins (or Tracks???) with Clips?
How can I record it and where in Session View?
Is it possible to do record all... Midi-Controller (like On and Off) in Session View like in Arrange View?

What is the sense to work more in Session View? The loops in Arrange View change Audio (a bit) because off Buffer things- Not? It's different Listening to the same clips using loop in Arrange View or no loop (marker) in Session View, while the clips looping them self.
Any help would be great.
8O
Cheeeers Dom

tomperson

Post by tomperson » Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:42 pm

Incredible!!! I had just come to the forum today to post how "useful it would be if we had follow actions for scenes" and bang, there you go, I find this topic. :D
LOFA wrote::lol: Rolling on the floor laughing my ass off

You should have seen me at Christmas dinner trying to explain the benefits of this trick to all of my relatives after a few drinks...
I guess they were like "yeah...right...how...interesting" while looking at each other like they were going to send you to a psichiatrist (is it spelled that way?) :D

Thanks guys, you rock and I will test this asap!
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.

conny

Post by conny » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:46 pm

Dominik wrote:first off all... Happy!!! New Year
Same to you.

Can I Trigger ON and Off's off Plugins (or Tracks???) with Clips?
Yes. The yellow on-off button on the left part of the plugs frame is controllable from external midi in. Or from clips if you route it out and in again via Midi Yoke or other apps.[/quote]
How can I record it and where in Session View?
Just draw it as a steep CC 0 - CC 127

// C
Bleeps and Blops!

gomi

Post by gomi » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:25 am

Machinate wrote:hehe, that really only depends on the feature sets included in Live 5.1 (shouldn't be that long until we see that) and Live 6, in 6-7 months - we start doing the tricks in the beta-period :wink:
they should add an internal live midi port, so internal midi routing like this
will work cross platform. i work on a mac, but a partner works on a pc.
i use the iac to trigger scenes and things, but we can't share those sets
without lots of mangling to work with midi yoke...

wouldn't that be cool?

conny

Post by conny » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:05 pm

gomi wrote: they should add an internal live midi port, so internal midi routing like this
will work cross platform.
Yes. That was one thing me and some else wanted to have when at HQ in Berlin. It's seems like such a simple and straigh forward thing to do!

And/or: Implementing some macro language that could be used to set up some logic for the triggering of scenes... and other things...

// C
Bleeps and Blops!

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:25 pm

conny wrote: It's seems like such a simple and straigh forward thing to do!
ah yes.. that's why we're not the programmers :wink:
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Dominik

Post by Dominik » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:57 pm

I'm able to record Mid Notesi via Midi-Yoke but afther trying and trying I'm not able to record on and offs off Plugins right now. I understand the function of controllers but I don't understand wich controller is for what. In Track 6 of connys follow-action example I see a single Midi Note (controller) Pushing other Clips-running. But how? Ah. Afther recording via Midi Yoke I can see only controller 1 (modulation) in Clips recorded.When I want to record something from Track 5,say On and Off of Simpler how can I route to Midi Yoke and wich Channel? Track Five go to Master i can't route Master to Midi!?? So Rec.enabled Midi Yoke record always all?? So you see I miss something basic to get Live a Proffessional Music Tool.I read about routing Midi Yoke as a Loop.Cnannel one Midi Yoke in the same Track Midi Yoke channel 1? Ähh. This causes a Midi Loop feedback Error. Hope you Guys can help. So I can celebrate New Year 2006 and even Bob is my uncle.
:roll: Dom

conny

Post by conny » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:22 pm

The only reason Midi Yoke is engaged here in this example is for routing midi notes out of Live, to be able to get them back as external midi, which may them serve as external controller data.
You can't let midi from a clip control things in Live without this out/in thing (yet).

And you can't directly record controllers in midi clips in session.
The on/off of plugins may be recorded in arrangement by clicking the activation button on the plugs.

I'm sure I'm too brief here but hope someone will fill the picture out.

Edit: To get Midi Yoke to act as an external midi in, you must set it up as remote input i Live's preferences.
If you then sent to that Midi Yoke number, there will be no loop but what you send will be treated as external midi.

// C
Bleeps and Blops!

Dominik

Post by Dominik » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:19 am

Thank you conny! So there is a lot off possibilitys to work with.I Go working... 8)