noob question..

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dansoutar

noob question..

Post by dansoutar » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:06 pm

hey guys, im really new to ableton and i just have a couple questions

right now im just trying to make hip hop beats using sampling. ive just found out through tutorials and reading that i can use simpler to set universal macros and transpose the whole rack of slices at once, instead of having to do it one by one (like i said im new). my issue now is when i transpose using simpler, it changes the tempo. I know im sure this quesiton has been asked a million times but if anyone could help me understand how to transpose a sliced clip without changing the tempo that would be greatly appreciated.

also if there is anyone out there who has skype that would be willing to spend a few minutes letting me pick there brain about the process of warping, chopping, and manipulating a sample afterwards i would definately appreciate it alot, although im new to this i have a very good understand of music and how it works and i would not be difficult to explain things too. call it lazy but im jsut trying to bypass alot of reading and searching for the right information when i know that 15 minutes of conversation with someone would bypass hours of research.

Thanks guys really apprecciate anyone taking the time to help

dansoutar

Re: noob question..

Post by dansoutar » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:14 pm

Thanks for the reply, my situation is that i watched a tutorial on how to use ableton like an mpc...it showed to warp the track so it is in time with ableton, and then slice to new midi track using preset macros made in simpler, which allowed to now control all of the slices with global macros. however when i transposed using those macros it changes the tempo of each slice. You may have already answered that just now and im too noob to understand but i was just wondering if its possible to slice the way i have with simpler and its global amcros and still be able to transpose or repitch without changing the tempo.

to give context ive found this kids videos on youtube, and this one specifically that he made with ableton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26463eHRYx0

im just curious how you would go about doing this using ableton.

Thank you

fx23

Post by fx23 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:23 pm

dansoutar wrote: however when i transposed using those macros it changes the tempo of each slice.
what do you mean, each slices are slices, not loops, normally all the slices form a loop that have a tempo, each individual slice
don't have a tempo, they are equivalent to single shot sounds.

so using your technique, the tempo is not affected, as the midi notes triggering the slices are folowing global tempo,
so maybe you didn't put enough slices and have more 'miniloops' as slices, of several sounds in same slice???)
not sure i understood...

dansoutar

Post by dansoutar » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:17 pm

yeah i think im just having communication problems because of my newbieness... i think if i just show people the video i watched then maybe you can understand the issue im having. i do appreciate the answers guys.

this is the video i watched.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnW2nhxbwp0

now after i follow these directions, and use the transpose, it changes the tempo.

fx23

Post by fx23 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:36 pm

if you did like the vid, it should stay in sync.

but what do you mean by it change tempo. if you engage the metronome (top left), the loop formed by all the slices is out of sync?
when you look at your midi clip if you did a midi clip, has it many notes in stairs shape? or if you trig your slice via midi controller, when you trig a sound, only this sound is played, or more (ie a kick, a nare, a hh, a violon or piano note is good,
if you hear several sounds, it's not properly sliced).

seattletruth

Post by seattletruth » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:35 am

Hey man I can relate to your problem with "just wanting someone to ask a few Q's" when need be, I had the exact same problem when learning Ableton the last month, and luckily an online friend helped me out.

So I can help you out with questions too, i know how it is. My skype is: seattletruth , msg me anytime. I'm still learning, but I been watching a lot of tutorial series, etc. Here's a beat I did last week so you know I'm not completely full of bull lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YA1j2sqC28

BTW simpler does effect tempo. It doesn't warp there audio. There is 2 ways to achieve the effect that you want. One would be to slice your break into seperate clips. Then you can midi map the clips to be triggered by your controller, or keys on your keyboard. You can transpose all of the clips and they will be warped.

Another way to do it would be to use simpler / drum racks like you already did. Then create a new audio track and set the input for that track as the output of your drumrack. Then record the playback, and save that as a clip, then transpose that whole clip, and it will stay warped :D

fx23

Post by fx23 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:08 am

BTW simpler does effect tempo. It doesn't warp there audio.
mmm, not to make my BS pseudo teaching lesson, but when sampler pitch slices, it doesn't affect tempo for me.
slices by definition don't have a tempo, they have a native pitch corresponding to their original 'loop tempo'.
if you mean transpose while keeping same duration, then it's to be called pitch with time-streching.
, just using right words will help a lot in futur communication :)
but you're right and what matters for dansoutar is the how to, so create clips where you define all your slices with start and end, no loop, no quantize, and trig them via midi controller, is indeed one, another being using a 3rd party vst sampler
that have a time-stretching mode like kontakt.

dansoutar

Post by dansoutar » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:31 am

Thanks alot guys I really do appreciate all of the help. I knew ableton is a serious program and you can't learn it in a few days but I've realized now that even just not knowing the correct terminology and general idea of production has caused me to be much more ignorant than I thought I would be lol some of the answers ive gotten i still dont fully understand haha but uve put me on the right track and i do appreciate the help, and to seattletruth thanks for the skype man i'll def be hittin u up... nice beat btw.

Thanks guys.
later