Ableton crash?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sketchy B

Ableton crash?

Post by sketchy B » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:42 am

Just wondering if anyone could help me out with my problem.I was working on a couple of tracks last week when suddenly both stopped working.Whenever I try to open them,Ableton crashes.I've had Ableton crash on me before but only when Im using bootleg VSTz.Every VST that I'm using now is the full legit version.I was stacking both reactor and massive in both sessions so I'm wondering if that could have contributed to the problem.Any information on this issue would really mean alot.I already contacted NI and Ableton tech support so I'm hoping they can tell me something.Is there any hope of me hearing these tracks again?

I also discovered that massive crashes when I open it as a standalone,but still works and operates within Ableton. Any connection here?

Thanks in advance for any info

Delie

Re: Ableton crash?

Post by Delie » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:37 am

You could try renaming your VST directory temporarily, or the massive.dll (or mac equivalent) to massive.temp and then try opening the project to see if you can isolate the problem.

If you can't open Massive in standalone though, then that's a definite problem and you might want to try reinstalling it.

sketchy B

Post by sketchy B » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:00 pm

Would I lose any work by uninstalling and re-installing?Might try doing this after work.

jesus god sandal

Post by jesus god sandal » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:55 pm

hey man i had this same problem when i used a trial version of a VST and when the trial expired i couldnt use the live set anymore, as the audio track was using that VST.
So what i did to fix this was hurry and delete the VST from the audio track (But still having it on my computer) and then i was no longer using the VST so no longer had the problem
What I'm saying is, is that it is probably something to do with your VST, renaming it could help and re locating it in the preferences
Or seeing if you can use the live set without it crashing while you have no VSTs in use
But that would only answer the question of whether or not it is the VST that is the problem, but then again you could single out the one VST which is causing you trouble
Colors for the Ears
musician name: en3
http://soundcloud.com/ianpluplu - random releases and WIPs
http://entheogensno.bandcamp.com - full length high quality downloads and listening

sketchy B

Post by sketchy B » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:46 am

Thanks for all the responses guys.Gonna start taking those measures as soon as I hear back from tech support.

EX

Post by EX » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:28 am

Make sure you're using Massive 1.1.5...

Wunjo

Post by Wunjo » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:14 pm

You can delete the VST from the folder thus when you open the live set you will get a dialog box saying that VST cannot be found. It will not delete the track with midi data on it though and once you re-install that vst into the folder it should automatically pick back up. However you might have to reload the patch as it will go back to the default startup one. A good practice is to get a free VST like VSTNotes and save that on your master channel in your Ableton template and write down your instrument's and their accoridng patches, especially if you're doing the whole MIDI>Audio>Freeze recording thing and want to re-open that synth and re-record it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

jamief

Post by jamief » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:28 am

do you use any camel audio plugins namely camelspace ? this started crashing my rig and i still cant use it properly

best :)

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:50 am

Wunjo, thanks for the Vst Notes tip. :)

I will find it very handy indeed.