live performance to grid w/out click track

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
randrohe

live performance to grid w/out click track

Post by randrohe » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:53 pm

Hello,
i am still on Live 5, and after being away form it for some time, I have a question.
I capture our band practices without a click as it is mostly free form, and click would ruin any spontaneity.
How would I go about getting the performances ( drum tracks, bass, guitars) locked to the grid?
I imagine it would involve warping, which I have never really messed w/..
And if this is the case, can I warp all tracks at once? I remember a master track or some such being mentioned..
Also, can I capture the performance of "playing" the markers in arrangement? short of resampling or actually cutting up the tracks and inserting the clips in session...
And since I'm starting to ramble, does track grouping in live 8 allow one to make edits across all tracks that are grouped???
thanks for any input
Rand

randrohe

Re: live performance to grid w/out click track

Post by randrohe » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:36 am

any takers?? esp. re: the live performance to grid

luddy

Post by luddy » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:31 am

Not sure I understand exactly; I think you want to take a recording that was not done to a grid and turn it into one that is on a grid, right?

Yeah, you would presumably do this by warping all the tracks. I don't think there is any way to do this too all the tracks at once, because the editing of warp markers happens not in the arrange view but in the sample editor, which works one clip at a time. But maybe there's a trick I don't know about.

What you would do is something like this: go to each track and insert a marker for the beginning of each bar in that track. Then pull all those bar markers to the actual beginning of bar grid line. After that you could go in bar-by-bar and fix the timing up further. It would be a fair amount of work.

hth,

-Luddy

randrohe

Post by randrohe » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:46 pm

thanks for your input Luddy..That does seem a bit time consuming....