populating MIDI clips using M4L and/or Live API ?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
tomjordan

populating MIDI clips using M4L and/or Live API ?

Post by tomjordan » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:20 pm

Hi, does anyone know if it is possible to use the Live API to send MIDI data directly to clips, either by sending a Standard MIDI file through the API, or some other representation?
I know that you can drag and drop a Standard MIDI file from the browser.. i'm trying to find a way to automate this so that it's quick and easy to send many generative / algorithmically-composed MIDI files to Live for quick audition and selection, etc..

I tried using Automator on OS X before, and that didn't work..
Mac Pro, Live 8 suite, APC40, Keystation Pro, Max for Live, Logic Pro 8, V-Station, Komplete 5, Ruby & Lisp interpreters in Max, C++ and Java externals for Max.

broc

Re: populating MIDI clips using M4L and/or Live API ?

Post by broc » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:21 am

With M4L it's possible to write midi notes directly to clips. So for example, you could use the Max external 'ajm.midi2coll' to store midi files in [coll] objects and generate clips from them. But it works for notes only, not cc events.

http://compusition.com/web/software/maxmsp/ajm-objects

Btw, instead of writing to clips the midi file (coll) could also be played directly in a M4L device.

tomjordan

Re: populating MIDI clips using M4L and/or Live API ?

Post by tomjordan » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:24 pm

thanks for the info.. i'm familiar with ajm objects.. hopefully there's a way to do the same for controllers, eventually.. possibly by writing a new external.. thanks for pointing me in the right direction..
Mac Pro, Live 8 suite, APC40, Keystation Pro, Max for Live, Logic Pro 8, V-Station, Komplete 5, Ruby & Lisp interpreters in Max, C++ and Java externals for Max.