Ableton! Will Live 9 be released before year 2015?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tone Deft

Re: Ableton! Will Live 9 be released before year 2015?

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:42 am

I'm the guy in white with the black tie. funken is the one smiling and waving.

so what's your fantasy waiting to happen?
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

philipc

Post by philipc » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:34 am

Knight Industry wrote:Mere semantics. having freedom of speech means exactly that if you think it's wrong
maybe your on the wrong road to truth pal,

mind you logic and truth have never been directly compatible as experience and the expression
of experience are two different things if you wish to get into a philosophical debate i suggest
you look else where

Personally i couldn't give a fuck about either
A. Being Cool and B. What people think of me

philipc wrote:
Knight Industry wrote:i reserve my right to use any fucking word i like to express any fucking feeling i have toward any fucking software developer i choose.

here endith the lesson on free speech.
Just because it's your right to say X doesn't mean that it's right to say X. Just because it is your right to say whatever you want doesn't mean that whatever you say is cool. Freedom of speech doesn't entail freedom from criticism for shit you say.

Personally, swearing doesn't offend me - faulty logic, however ... ;)
Well it's pretty hard to reason with someone who is proud of being unreasonable but fortunately it doesn't really matter in this case since the stakes are nonexistent. Unfortunately, the 'freedom of speech should shield me from all criticism for everything I say' thing is also used by bigots and racists to justify themselves too. They say awful things and then hide behind the fact that it is their right to say awful things in order to justify those things. Which is fucking stupid. Just because it's someone's right to be an asshole doesn't mean that anyone calling them out for acting like an asshole is denying their freedom of speech. Locking someone up and gagging them for something they said is an infringement of their freedom of speech -- saying 'dude, that's a bad thing to say!' is not. If anyone has a hard time seeing the difference between these two things or why it matters then I give up.

Anyway, all this just goes to show that Ableton need to bring out Live 9 pronto in order to end all this off topic babbling about nazis and so forth. I think we can all agree that it's basically their fault.

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:54 am

^^ So you're the little guy :wink:

Knight Industry

Post by Knight Industry » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:16 pm

I know it's the one thing that keeps me using live despite a long
list of gripes i have with the program. There is nothing else
which allows me to do what i want to do for live performance

and to be fair it's alright at that job.

But i just can't get along with it for mixing and production
i liked sequencing with live, i liked the complex fx chains
you can build there are alot of other bit's to it i like
and i have made use of it since live 4 came out with midi.

But i really do not like trying to mix a song properly within live
i use an analog a&h desk and complex outboard at work, for live bands and i know exactly
how metering should work.

In live they might as well of not bothered with level meters, i had
to find an old live template when i installed 8 just to get decibel
numbers on each track???? and even then there just not accurate.yea
i know what people say oh just download sonalksis free level meter
and all that but why should you have to do that in the first place?
and why should you have to route everything into a decent linear just
to mix properly simple things simple things.

i could talk all day about my issues with live but to be fair it's getting
kinda boring i wish they would just hurry up and sort it out.

But yea your right there is nothing that equals session view at present.
apart from sonar X1 which i also dislike for different reasons

funken wrote:
Knight Industry wrote:I think you mis-interpret what i am am getting at here.

In ableton with clips you can have one clip playing 1 bar another clip at say 4 bars
and they will loop together depending on where you place the phrasing of each bar

This has nothing to do with style or genre you do not need to be able to perform
this function in order to produce dance music.

a linear daw will handle a dance track quite competently with out this feature
it's just something i like about ableton that i will miss until
either ableton sorts out some problems with live that at present
are not ideal for production work
(workflow issues some linear daws don't have)

Or bit wig turns out to be as good as the preview looks

either way for now i am happy using studio one for production
and live for live performance

and what is of course most important here is that i am happy
not you or any one else but me me me...
But the Session view is what makes Live so special, the main reason many people buy it, and it's invaluable for dance music. In Session not only can I have loops of different lengths playing, I can play scene 30 straight after scene 1 to make sure I'm on groove, and I can capture a combination of clips I like as a new scene, and rearrange scenes. I can play the whole song is Session and still have the flexibility to rearrange it. Ok some Live users make dance and go into Arrange early, but even then you can play loops in Session while your track plays in Arrange.

Knight Industry

Post by Knight Industry » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:44 pm

How things should be is that children are educated in critical thinking and know how to judge and evaluate
things properly.

That way we can avoid such confusion as calling some one an arse hole or telling them to stfu (Personal attack)
Towards some one who used the word fuck to describe there dwindling reliance on a piece of software (Ambiguous attack)

Freedom of speech is important as i have already stated, as words should not have power
you do understand this right?

The word is not the reality and never will be

But that is what politics is a manipulation of language to convince people that something they have said happens
to be real.
It's not which i think also clarifies my statement on totalitarianism

Does this qualify me into the reasonable person club yet or should i continue to stfu whilst
i consider how much of of a proper arse hole i apparently am?
funken wrote:
philipc wrote:Unfortunately, the 'freedom of speech should shield me from all criticism for everything I say' thing is also used by bigots and racists to justify themselves too. They say awful things and then hide behind the fact that it is their right to say awful things in order to justify those things. Which is fucking stupid. Just because it's someone's right to be an asshole doesn't mean that anyone calling them out for acting like an asshole is denying their freedom of speech. Locking someone up and gagging them for something they said is an infringement of their freedom of speech -- saying 'dude, that's a bad thing to say!' is not. If anyone has a hard time seeing the difference between these two things or why it matters then I give up.
This is a pretty good summary from a political point of view of how things should be. The Nazis are free to spout their shit, within reason, and the anti-Nazis are free to tell everyone what cunts the Nazis are.

Knight Industry

Post by Knight Industry » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:52 pm

funken Do you know how it measures rms i would be interested to know so i can get my head around
what my levels actually are within live?

when i rewire reason into live i get some really odd level read outs the gain can be pushed
right up within reason but stick at under -12db within live and i know it's in the red by
the distortion going on but lives meters are telling me anything but that?
i tested this on my mates mac and it does the same thing very strange

would be good to know how to sort this as it's giving me a headache

Cheers

funken wrote:Knight, Live gives a readout for peak and it reads exactly the same as all the other meters like FreeG.

Live and TT Dynamic seem to measure RMS differently to Span, Free G, RMS Buddy, and Pro L. On a sine wave Live and TT Dynamic read RMS the same as the peak. I have a separate thread on this actually to see if anyone knows what the difference is.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:53 pm

rms - read the wikipedia page on it for the math. root mean square. it's basically an average of the strength of a signal. for a pur sine wave (like the power in your walls) it's roughly 66% of the peak. audio isn't as consistent so that rule of thumb doesn't apply.

the reason we audioshit focuses on RMS instead of the peak is that speakers and other audio gear can handle transients well above their rated performance for a short time. peaks don't matter, the system can handle that. what you want to know is, generally speaking, how loud is your system.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:17 pm

....lets hit 28.000 views this sunday! When will we get some reactions from the abes? :lol:
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:43 pm

xzusa8ky wrote:....lets hit 28.000 views this sunday! When will we get some reactions from the abes? :lol:
you keep posting the same stupid shit. we get it. the Abes don't give a shit about your thread.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:36 am

Yep. Also what use is the answer? I haven't got the funds to mount a civil liability suite if they didn't deliver. And that's aside from the fact that no one knows what developments it will feature.

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:20 pm

Boom! 28.000 views! Glad i am not the only one wondering..... :lol:
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:43 pm

Its just morbid curiousity. How much be said about nothing? How childish can any given person be? How delusional can a forecast of a company's business plan get? How much desparation for fresh excitement can a frustrated musician feel? These questions and many more can all be investigated within the depths of this thread.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:55 am

:lol:

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:52 am

Time to introduce a discussion of the Kate Middleton topless photos?

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:23 pm

locked up with Kate Middleton in a dungeon?

hmmm